Residence certificate possible with long term stay in hotel?

It's high season and a friend is finding it difficult to find suitable accommodation ( he has specific needs) for long term stay based on a Non O based on retirement. Currently still on visa exempt which he will extend..

In the meantime he is booking a hotel for a couple of months to give him time to find the right place, and to apply for the Non Imm O.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to get a Proof of Residence Certificate from Immigration to open a bank account for the THB 800,000 while residing in a hotel.? He might even stay longer than the planned two months in the hotel if necessary.

I have told him it may be possible to use an agent to open the account, but he would prefer to try and do it himself with the certificate if he can.

TIA

17 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I have told him it may be possible to use an agent to open the account, but he would prefer to try and do it himself with the certificate if he can

He is better off using an agent as time is of the essence. 

Once he has the bank account and transfers the required funds obtaining the non O is not difficult. 

He will not be able to obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok without having done a 90 day report.

Most agents can open an account quickly. Not expensive. 

You state...

"In the meantime he is booking a hotel for a couple of months to give him time to find the right place, and to apply for the Non Imm O.".

He is doing it back to front.

1. Open bank account.

2. Transfer 800k into bank account

3. With 15 days + remaining on permit apply for non O retirement 

4. Consider/look for long term accommodation. 

5. Obtain 12 month extension.

Points 4 and 5 interchangeable. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, flexomike said:

not sure if he can get a certificate without having done a 90 day report, what nationality is he

British.

Been here since before Christmas, checking things out with a view to long term stay. Has holidayed here  a few times before.

Decided to make the move. I am just trying to help him with the process.

As DrJack54 said. Better to use an agent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phetphet said:

As DrJack54 said. Better to use an agent

Just to clarify...I was referring to agent to open bank account.

Difficult these days with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

As for the non O retirement and subsequent extension he can do that by himself if he has the funds.

Process not difficult. 

If he has mobility issues an agent for the entire process is certainly an option. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Been here since before Christmas, checking things out with a view to long term stay. Has holidayed here  a few times before.

Added after thought....

Your friend is best served to obtain his non O at immigration office where he intends to obtain his subsequent 12 month extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Try to get an O visa in neighboring county 50+ would be my advice. Thai bank accounts, address Thai... would be good even if hotel.

1 year O multiple

The OP stated this ....

"It's high season and a friend is finding it difficult to find suitable accommodation ( he has specific needs) for long term stay based on a Non O based on retirement" 

Reading between the lines having "specific needs".

The visa you refer to is a ME Non O based on marriage.

Previously ME Non O based on retirement was possible.

Currently don't think it's available in Savannakhet.

In any event that one year visa requires exits from Thailand.

Thinking not best option.

7 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

But some embassies will provide an affidavit of residence, acceptable proof of residence for opening bank accounts and applying for drivers license.

Depending on the embassy that can take some time to arrange.

Also it's far from free.

The OP friend would be best to use agent especially with the issues indicated. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP stated this ....

"It's high season and a friend is finding it difficult to find suitable accommodation ( he has specific needs) for long term stay based on a Non O based on retirement" 

Reading between the lines having "specific needs".

The visa you refer to is a ME Non O based on marriage.

Previously ME Non O based on retirement was possible.

Currently don't think it's available in Savannakhet.

In any event that one year visa requires exits from Thailand.

Thinking not best option.

The "specific needs" are for accommodation because he has bad eyesight so cannot drive. Therefore looking for accom. close to road and facilities, shops etc.

He is not looking for a visa based on marriage, but the Non Imm O based on retirement , using the THB800,000 in the  bank method.

I have told him that we may need to fly to Vientiane to apply, but that we need to get the bank account sorted first.

He still has a couple of weeks on his visa exempt, and can also extend that for 15 days I believe, so I will take him to see the agent this week.

Believe it or not, it is still cheaper staying in a half decent hotel here than renting in London.

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

He still has a couple of weeks on his visa exempt, and can also extend that for 15 days I believe, so I will take him to see the agent this week.

He can extend his visa exempt stamp by 30 days.

That won't help a lot.

He requires 15 days remaining on permit to apply for non O retirement.

Given his situation, eyesight etc, I suggest he consider agent for the whole box and dice 

Meaning 

1. Open bank account.

2. Obtain non O retirement (without need for funds in bank) 

3. 12 month extension.

It's not cheap first up. Perhaps 35k.

Ongoing would cost ~15k every year for extension.

It's just an option.

Personally I don't use an agent and not a big deal for me to have funds in bank and attend immigration office once per year for extension.

When mobility becomes an issue for me it will be agent time. 

No problem. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He requires 15 days remaining on permit to apply for non O retirement.

Are you saying (as I first thought), he must first get a single or multiple entry visa from outside Thailand before applying for the Non Imm O?

Or he can apply using the Visa Exempt as long as he has 15 days left?

Just trying to get ducks lined up. But I will ask agent when I take him to see him.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Are you saying (as I first thought), he must first get a single or multiple entry visa from outside Thailand before applying for the Non Imm O?

No.

He can apply for a non O retirement from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry into Thailand..

To apply for non O he requires 800k in Thai bank account in his name only.

He requires minimum 15 days remaining on his permit on day he applies.

I outlined the steps and requirements earlier in the thread. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

He can apply for a non O retirement from a visa exempt or tourist visa entry into Thailand..

To apply for non O he requires 800k in Thai bank account in his name only.

He requires minimum 15 days remaining on his permit on day he applies.

I outlined the steps and requirements earlier in the thread. 

Thank you. I understand now.

@phetphet

It sounds as though your friend already has a friend to assist him, in yourself.

When he entered Thailand as a tourist on a VE entry, he was granted a permission of stay for 45 days.
To apply for a 1-year extension of stay, he must have Non Immigrant status, hence applying for the Non O first.
As already stated, he must have at least 15 days remaining from any granted permission of stay to apply for the Non O.
The criteria to apply for the Non O > VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 

He can apply for a 30-day extension first, which will grant him a further stay until March, allowing him more time to open a bank account, transfer the 800K, find a permanent residence, then apply for the Non O.

You can assist him with the Non O and subsequent 1 year extension, an agent isn't required.
For a bank account, have you first tried a couple of banks, before getting assistance from an agent?

It may help if you stated which Immigration office he would use.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

@phetphet

It sounds as though your friend already has a friend to assist him, in yourself.

When he entered Thailand as a tourist on a VE entry, he was granted a permission of stay for 45 days.
To apply for a 1-year extension of stay, he must have Non Immigrant status, hence applying for the Non O first.
As already stated, he must have at least 15 days remaining from any granted permission of stay to apply for the Non O.
The criteria to apply for the Non O > VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 

He can apply for a 30-day extension first, which will grant him a further stay until March, allowing him more time to open a bank account, transfer the 800K, find a permanent residence, then apply for the Non O.

You can assist him with the Non O and subsequent 1 year extension, an agent isn't required.
For a bank account, have you first tried a couple of banks, before getting assistance from an agent?

It may help if you stated which Immigration office he would use.

Samui Immigration Office.

Re: The banks.

I know from experience that they either want a work permit or a  proof of residence certificate. But as you say. It never hurts to try. I did open one while here on holiday and staying in a hotel many years ago...But those  days are long gone.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:41 PM, phetphet said:

Does anyone know if it will be possible to get a Proof of Residence Certificate from Immigration to open a bank account for the THB 800,000 while residing in a hotel.? He might even stay longer than the planned two months in the hotel if necessary.

I did it in Pattaya  (Bangkok Bank in Central Festival, 4 lvl) the last summer. They asked  passport and residence certificate to open a bank account.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

OP, Has your friend considered the Thailand Elite Visa?

I will mention it. But really, I think he needs to give it a year here first to see if it is the right place for him before spending that sort of money. It would certainly take away a lot of the hassle.

22 hours ago, zzzzz said:

90 day report not needed in Phuket

It's not cheap first up. Perhaps 35k.

Ongoing would cost ~15k every year for extension.

Unless your in Pattaya where its 27,000 and 12,500  ????

First up you quoted me without attaching my tag 

Secondly at that stage the OP had not stated which office.

Turns out to be Koh Samui. 

The prices I mentioned were general and included opening bank account. 

The low ball prices you quoted are Pattaya which is nothing to do with Samui.

Nor is your post concerning Phuket. 

Why do i need post ur tag?
1st you LOL at my post,  now you come back an attack it...  Weird or what???

I Posted what it is for PHUKET< as clearly stated as he had not stated where he is>
I also posted what it costs in PATTAYA for comparison purposes  

Every agent uses different immigration offices an every immigration office has different requirements>

OK?

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

Why do i need post ur tag?

When you quote someone include who you are quoting.

Just as per my quote from you here.

Think it's actually a forum rule 

As for your posts in general nearly always regarding Phuket.

That's very helpful if OP deals with that office.

He does not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE:

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice. It really made things a lot easier.

My friend got the residence certificate(s) and has now managed to open bank accounts. Fixed Term for the retirement money, and a savings account for day to day.

Next job is to extend his visa exempt which expires beginning Feb, then apply to convert to Non Imm O based on retirement.

A quick question. How early can he apply to extend his current visa exempt entry?

• Like 1