Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thai media investigates trouble in Koh Samet - foreign tourists ripped off, operators hit with charges - claims of parks' dept bribery

webfact

13 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

It might be unique to The Netherlands then, but eveyrbody pays the same for a single ticket at the door no matter your country of origin.

I suppose that is the same all over Europe (at least Northern Europe), but maybe I am wrong.

What they normally do is sell yearly memberships. One time entrance is say 10 euro's, or you can come as many times as you like for a year for the total sum of say 50 euro's. That way the local people can enjoy the attraction for a lower average price, but there is no dual pricing (which is against the law). In Holland you buy a museum year card and you can enter 200 musea for a year for like 100 euros. Visit 5 museums and you got your money out of it already. A similar thing I see here in Thailand as well: the aquarium here on Phuket sells a yearly membership for 999 baht where a regular ticket is about 100-200 baht. A waterpark sold tickets for 500 baht, or you buy a yearly membership for 4 people for 25K baht. Come once a month and you are better off with the yearly ticket, but for tourists it is not worth it as they are only here for a couple of days/weeks.

I visited the military museum at Overloon a couple of years ago, and had a "discount for your next visit (in the same year)" included (I'm British -- there was no special "Dutch" ticket). Same happens at the Bovinton Tank Museum in Dorset, UK, which everyone gets too, regardless of nationality. It's the same with many places in the UK like zoos and parks. Took the missus to London when she first relocated 20 years ago, and she was suprised how everyone pays the same (but with concessions for kids and OAPs, and sometimes disabled). There's no excuse for hidden dual pricing.

• Like 2

Everything that is wrong in Thailand, is because the penalties are too low or non existent.

Every road offence should carry a minimum penalty of 5,000baht for first offence. Thais would soon learn and Thailand would be a much safer place Those found to be corrupt should lose their jobs  AND PENSIONS.  No  transfers to office jobs. And many more offences need to be looked at and dealt with appropriately.  Wai-ing and bribing should have an added penalty!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Haven't been for years but when I did I walked from the harbour then nipped into the 711 next to the entrance, bought a drink and some snacks then just strolled past the ticket booth. If challenged I just said I am staying at the resort and just came to shop at 711. Never paid for an entrance fee in all that time. The park officials go for the tourists riding on the songtows, so it is easy to slip past them as they are too busy going for the groups. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

This country has (foreigner) entry fees in some cases higher than those in western countries. The difference is that western countries generally have decent facilities whereas here visitor facilities barely even exist. The last time I went to Khao Yai park with a group of Thai friends and one other foreigner none of us went in when they denied us the real entry fee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

Haven't been for years but when I did I walked from the harbour then nipped into the 711 next to the entrance, bought a drink and some snacks then just strolled past the ticket booth. If challenged I just said I am staying at the resort and just came to shop at 711. Never paid for an entrance fee in all that time. The park officials go for the tourists riding on the songtows, so it is easy to slip past them as they are too busy going for the groups. 

Done that too

Would have thought they would have issued passouts.

17 hours ago, dddave said:

The sad truth is, most countries charge tourist more than locals.  If you travel in the USA, even if a citizen, cross a state line and visit a state park, you will pay higher entrance and usage fees than locals will.  Go to any public beach and locals will have parking stickers allowing them to park for far less.  Go to almost any museum or public attraction in the US or Europe, locals pay less than outsiders.  Even US National Parks charge Non-citizens higher fees.

Very true and factually correct.

My best example is the U.S. open course in San Diego Torrey Pines.

A resident senior pays $47 to play there.  A non resident $223.  Even if you live in a neighboring County and drive to play you pay the $223.

Happens in many places.

• Haha 1

Had an altercation with the ticket seller at Nong Nooch many years ago. Insisted I paid the full price despite holding Permanent residence. Complained at the office later, was ushered into see the Thanphuying boss, apologised to, received an invitation to a Loy Kratong party for myself and family, and the unfortunate ticket seller was  hauled in and dismissed on the spot!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

I have always said this since I moved to Thailand 5 years ago "Racist"

Nothing racist about it...  its just greed and corruption - it always has been and always will be present until people are held seriously accountable. 

... of course, people do not hold others accountable to any serious degree because they themselves maybe held accountable one day....   endemic throughout every facet of society it could be argued that corruption in Thailand is so open and obviously that Thailand is ‘almost’ honest in its corruption !!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

The sad truth is, most countries charge tourist more than locals.  If you travel in the USA, even if a citizen, cross a state line and visit a state park, you will pay higher entrance and usage fees than locals will.  Go to any public beach and locals will have parking stickers allowing them to park for far less.  Go to almost any museum or public attraction in the US or Europe, locals pay less than outsiders.  Even US National Parks charge Non-citizens higher fees.

Locals (as in those living and proving so in the locality) getting a dispensation is one thing ,but effectively,as here ,simply being judged by the colour of your face at the kiosk (even if a farang living locally) is altogether quite different. If you simply look like a Thai ,even if living abroad, like my stepdaughter , and enjoying the discount is really nothing short of racism.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nothing racist about it...  its just greed and corruption - it always has been and always will be present until people are held seriously accountable. 

... of course, people do not hold others accountable to any serious degree because they themselves maybe held accountable one day....   endemic throughout every facet of society it could be argued that corruption in Thailand is so open and obviously that Thailand is ‘almost’ honest in its corruption !!!

Of course it’s greed and corruption- but based on racial discrimination, otherwise I entirely agree with you,especially your last point 

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

A resident senior pays $47 to play there.  A non resident $223.  Even if you live in a neighboring County and drive to play you pay the $223.

That's acceptable in principle because the discrimination is not based on nationality: a non resident pays more, regardless of his nationality. Then the question of "how much more" is another story. But the general practice of favoring local residents is common and widespread everywhere, just like granting discounts to groups or schools, etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Happens in many places.

See my post below. None of that concession is based on race ,as it is here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

We need a committee, definitely need a committee. The only way forward is to set up a committee. 

Is this so a meeting can be called to discuss the minute of the last meeting and then schedule the next meeting, add infinitum. How much to join this committee and what are the monthly fees????? 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Camillof said:

I think there's a general misconception here about this dual-pricing matter. Let's not mix up different issues: "tourists" vs "locals", or if you prefer "non-local residents" vs "local residents", is one thing (acceptable), "citizens vs non-citizens" is another (unacceptable). Charging tourists more than locals is acceptable if by "locals" you mean people actually living on the spot or immediate surroundings. Understandable common practice in many countries. But here in Thailand, as well as in some other underdeveloped countries, it's not like that. Here they don't charge tourists more, they charge non-Thais more, which makes all the difference and is contrary, in principle, to human rights conventions ratified by the Thai government. That is why foreigners should refuse to pay those higher fees. Here, Thai tourists are being charged like local residents, while foreign local residents are being charged like tourists. Thus, the foreign local resident is forcibly contributing by paying, not only part of the Thai local resident's fee, but even part of the Thai tourist's fee. Sick and disgusting practice. I wish all countries around the world applied the same principle to Thai citizens living there.

That is why foreigners should refuse to pay those higher fees..................Easier said than done when you have taken the family out for the day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

That is why foreigners should refuse to pay those higher fees..................Easier said than done when you have taken the family out for the day.

I didn't write that it's easy to do, but personally I learned my lesson. Forewarned is forearmed.

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Happens in many places.

The price is based on residency, not race. Big difference. Very big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1