Will the driver’s licence point system work?

webfact

As with all punitive measures introduced by the RTP, the problem lies at the point of contact between the police and the offender.

Being stopped for any infringement, whether it's a fine or imprisonment or a points deduction, if the "public servant' accepts a bribe before recording the offense then it will remain useless for all practical purposes.

Drivers need to fear being caught because they know the law will be enforced. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am still wondering how it is possible that people with no driverslicense can buy a car or motorcycle....It is the greed of the selling business and the lack of the Government to do something about it. Even without a proper income they sell cars with loans to people with no driverslicense and when things go wrong......who is responsible?? Lack of law and police enforcement....and ruling by the Government... Nobody cares 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe for most falangs it will matter. For the Thai majority of the population ,it will be treated similar to the helmet  and camera  regulations! Just a bunch of signs!

Who’s making money off this idea anyway?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, HampiK said:

You do not need a license to buy a car, only to drive a car!

Even in Switzerland nobody check your diver license when you buy a car. And I guess in many other countries this also no prerequisite for buying a car.

In the US you can buy a car as long as your over 18 and then you may or may not need a guarantor if you can not show the income if leasing or buying on credit. No license needed. Yet if you want insurance on the far then that's a different story. Used cars get bought and never registered in the US from private owners all of the time, cash is king.

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

Maybe for most falangs it will matter. For the Thai majority of the population ,it will be treated similar to the helmet  and camera  regulations! Just a bunch of signs!

Who’s making money off this idea anyway?

You mean there's money to be made on points being added to your license.....I mean possibly you'll need to pay for getting the suspension removed from your license if yours get suspended because of points, but then if it's business as usual how are the non licensed ones going to have points added or do they even care.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

One of the most endearing and yet irritating features of this society is that it beavers away with great effort and skill creating institutions, systems and legal provisions whose titles and declared aims mimic those of many other countries. This is the case in so many fields.

They are like those Hollywood film studio "back lots" - convincing facades held up by scaffolding.

The driving licence points scheme is a classic example.

Indeed.

”Appearances over substance” might well be the national motto.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You mean there's money to be made on points being added to your license.....I mean possibly you'll need to pay for getting the suspension removed from your license if yours get suspended because of points, but then if it's business as usual how are the non licensed ones going to have points added or do they even care.

Points are going to be DEDUCTED from 12 down to Zero, not added as we do in UK.

You only get three DUIs here before a ban!

It’ll work beyond their wildest dreams, just as long as those stopped for traffic infractions have plenty of Baht about their person.  
What a cracking idea to hand to the BIB, who no doubt are calculating just how early they will be able to retire to a villa on some tropical island somewhere. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Points are going to be DEDUCTED from 12 down to Zero, not added as we do in UK.

You only get three DUIs here before a ban!

I realize they will be deducted....the point I made was how they will make money and that will be by adding points after paying a fee to some entrepreneur ...

On 1/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, lujanit said:

Why is the Dept of Disease Control involved in road fatality?  My mind boggles.

It will fail and the BIB will see this as another opportunity to gather 'tea money'.

Dept of Disease Control is involved as Covid lives and multiplies in the glove box and centre console of motor cars. Also under the seat on motor bikes.

Hence people seen driving/riding alone wearing a mask or three.

Covid.....dastardly clever little bug.????????