US man meets top lawyer after 13 MB Porsche from luxury showroom proves to be a dud

webfact

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's his issue (apart from a pedantic "is it '20 or '21")  when he can get it fixed under the Porsche warranty?  I doubt that any dealer offers a money-back guarantee for used cars.

There are money back guarantees in Canada, its called the Lemon Act or CAMVAP, which covers 94% of new car sales in Canada. You can get 100% refund on the purchase price if there are too many repairs on a new vehicle or even some used car. Used cars have to qualify. Had a friend buy a new Cadillac, dealer had 3 chances to get it running properly and never did, so he got 100% of his money refunded.

But this is Thailand and many Thai find it very difficult to ever give back money after a sale. It's very difficult to get a refund on anything in Thailand.

When I was looking to buy a vehicle in Thailand, many times the date attached to vehicle advertisements was first registered year rather than the manufacturing year, and the dealer didn't tell me it was the registered date, had to look at the manufacturing VIN plate. Many used vehicles had accidents and weren't repaired properly, many had been flooded or had power train modifications from original manufacturer specifications. It was too risky finding a good quality used vehicle at a fair price so I ended up buy a new vehicle from a Toyota dealer.

TikTok,  isn't that Chinese a spy agency? 

How he made the money at his age is an non issue. Being rich doesn't mean all broken as in cells are rich too. 

Looks like what happen to him Thai girl friend is what happens to so many that get here forget how to use their brains. 

Lots not right although mentioned a fancy showroom sure could fool a person not a sand lot a whole different story! 

Like motorbike lots of independent dealers buy bikes then sell them for a bit higher charging a higher interest on finance. I'd this whatvitcead even then the warranty as noted is in affect. Where he purchased did they have a service area or told nearest authorize Porsche where warranty would be honored. If used then the mileage or signs of being used. 

Big red flag is when it broke down who did he call that told him let it cool down. It was picked up and fix then broke down again who or whom shop that did the work.

Now the registration book not the year they claims it to be but he like the model and what it offers?  

Was this car purchased on the grey market cause nice showroom offered to buy it back at 12 million on payday it now is 1.5 minus some crazy 9 million plus tax? 

My view is I can see why he is connected to TicTok maybe he should hook up with TingTong. 

On the surface his Thai Lawyer?? Raised flags too?

I was told by a big lawyer in Thailand when you got resources like money forget the courts especially if you aren't Thai.  Do what I would do in situation like this I took that advice results are much quicker and satisfying LOL

Get some Toyota! 

It is true, unfortunately, that the date is only when registered in Thailand. It's a typical Thai con - I bought a car advertised 6 years old but it was 8 years old and sitting in 'stock' they told me when I complained. Nothing is straight here.

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

True, but having starry-eyed delusions about the country you're living in makes it more likely you'll be the victim of one.

Yes, felt this way in Australia, very insecure with all those Woke's and rainbow people.

6 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

Quite frankly, it's both a 992 model. 

I was looking for a Mercedes GLA in '21 model H247 with MBUX and they've tried to sell me the previous model X156 as new, which was only built until '20.

This is common practice in Thailand, they're advertising even older models as new until their stock is empty but with the full price of the next generation. 

Nearly had the same thing happen to me.  Seems more common than not.  Ive come to assume that with sales of anything here (especially assets and items of substantial value) there's some smoke and mirrors. Its whether or not you notice it.  For this reason my wife didn't get her diamond ring until we went back to the States.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

He loved the model and it was just what he wanted. He paid 250,000 baht deposit and went back to Pattaya with his Thai girlfriend.

Pics of the GF, please. Curious to see what a 13MB Porsche buys you.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

If you're dumb enough to pay  300% more for cars, lining the government's pockets just to look good while stuck in traffic with, then you deserve everything you get. 

This is Thailand, where appearances, social status and prestige are everything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BINGO !!!....  Ladies and Gentleman... We have the ‘wannabe lawyer’ post !!!... 

Is his work permit status of any relevance to him getting ripped off by the showroom ?

Yes, of course, as an illegal immigrant he will find it very difficult  to pursue this.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's his issue (apart from a pedantic "is it '20 or '21")  when he can get it fixed under the Porsche warranty?  I doubt that any dealer offers a money-back guarantee for used cars.

Expand  

There are money back guarantees in Canada, its called the Lemon Act or CAMVAP, which covers 94% of new car sales in Canada. You can get 100% refund on the purchase price if there are too many repairs on a new vehicle or even some used car. Used cars have to qualify. Had a friend buy a new Cadillac, dealer had 3 chances to get it running properly and never did, so he got 100% of his money refunded.

So what? Thailand isn't Canada.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is no more than a 4 million baht car in the US or Europe. Hard to have much sympathy for someone who over pays to that extent, simply for the ability to show off and drive a fancy car. 

European or US prices are irrelevant, he didn't necessarily "over pay", this is Thailand and Thailand's car prices are the only option buyers have.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That said, there is no excuse for a dealer to behave like this. Seems as if they feel they are above the law.

Are you suggesting that the dealer has an obligation to refund the price of a used car?  Why?  The car should have a Porsche warranty that should sort out a legitimate car with legitimate problems.

• Haha 1