Cannabis Bill second reading House meeting collapses again on Wednesday

snoop1130

House Meeting Only Spends 25 Minutes Due To Usual Lack Of Quorum
By Thai Newsroom Reporters

image.jpeg

A meeting of the House of Representatives at parliament. Photo: NNT

THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES today (Jan.18) spent a record short period of time for a regular meeting due to the usual lack of a quorum.

Deputy House Speaker Suchart Tancharoen was obliged to adjourn today’s House meeting due to the repeated lack of a quorum after it had only proceeded for 25 minutes, lasting a record short period of time.

Only 203 MPs reportedly attended and cast votes on legislation on marijuana and cannabis whilst the House quorum called for the attendance of no less than one half of the total of the elected legislators, currently accounting for 216.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/01/18/house-meeting-only-spends-25-minutes-due-to-usual-lack-of-quorum/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-01-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Personally, he said he would prefer MPs to vote in support of the bill in the second reading and to reject the bill in the final reading and then let the next government decide whether it should be revived or dropped.

Passing the buck, kicking the can down the road... whatever you want to call it.

Anutins fiasco.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I take it that the sale and the possession of is not currently legal?

Which, if true, casts an interesting light on the multiple shops selling pot around Asoke when I was there 3 weeks ago for my first visit to Bangers in 3 years. Including one large and very fine-looking shop advertising seeds, flowers & medicinal ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So the sale and the possession of is not currently legal?

Which, if true, casts an interesting light on the multiple shops selling pot around Asoke when I was there 3 weeks ago for my first visit to Bangers in 3 years. Including one large and very fine-looking shop advertising seeds, flowers & medicinal ...

Yeah, there are also a couple of stores open in NANA between the BTS and the EZ.

The problem is that most people that are in government see it as a second gig and a chance to be IMPOTENT.

They do not see the responsibility.  The solution is simple to pay the same pay but pay it based on a daily per diem for each day they are in the house for at least 6 hours.  They do not vote the don't get any pay for that day.

Anutin is definitely going to feel the pain of rushing Marijuana legalization through.  Remember, most of the people enjoying it probably do not vote and or are Foreigners

55 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So I take it that the sale and the possession of is not currently legal?

No. Your "take" is incorrect.

The production, distribution, possession, sale and use of Cannabis flowers, now classified as a "controlled herb" rather than a "narcotic", is legal, with some common-sense controls.

This has been well-documented for at least six months.

Parliament, specifically several political parties, doesn't want to deal with the Cannabis Bill given the short fuse on their current make-up and existence. There will be a dissolution soon, a new election and a new parliamentary session next year.

I don't get the hang-up on this Cannabis Bill? Yes, it may clear up some minor issues, but it's hardly necessary for the well-being of the Kingdom, or its visitors.

DTAM (traditional medicine arm of the MoPH) is set to introduce the requirement the use of a national ID for purchase, and resulting computer records. Not sure what will eb required of tourists? Passport I imagine. This has been signed, but not yet Gazetted.

2 minutes ago, wimpy said:

I would question that assumption.

Agreed.

And then there's the 1 million plus Thais who've registered on PlookGanja to grow cannabis, and thousands of others who've registered to sell and distribute cannabis. Suspect many of them vote?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Remember, most of the people enjoying it probably do not vote and or are Foreigners

I'd suggest that this claim is nonsense. It's sold in local markets now and certainly around our way most users are happy Thais 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Snig27 said:

I'd suggest that this claim is nonsense. It's sold in local markets now and certainly around our way most users are happy Thais 

But do they vote or did they miss it.  Knew a few stoners in Canada who never voted too high to come down lol