Positions besides teacher in government schools

If you were qualified for any such position, I think you wouldn't need to come here and ask this.

I taught for 18 yrs. at four high schools in three provinces. I can only think of one. A guy, whom I'm sure had a length of qualifications as long as his arm, was hired as some sort of consultant to improve the teaching of English.

9 hours ago, allane said:

If you were qualified for any such position, I think you wouldn't need to come here and ask this.

I taught for 18 yrs. at four high schools in three provinces. I can only think of one. A guy, whom I'm sure had a length of qualifications as long as his arm, was hired as some sort of consultant to improve the teaching of English.

I would think the OP is asking about lesser positions to avoid the need for waiver or licence.

Funny, if OP had any qualifications to actually teach or in Education or at least had done so I'd think he'd know that himself. Perhaps, tutor, SEN tutor, activities coordinator, marching band coordinator. What are you bringing to the table?

By law you can't be in the classroom without a teaching waiver or license on a B or O visa

Edited by SuperSilverHaze

There are positions which do not include the title of 'teacher', however, quite a few schools use them simply to make up for the lack of qualified teachers.  Schools are limited in the number of auxiliary personnel they are allowed to hire.  At one school I am familiar with, they can have up to 10% of the foreign staff who are considered as non-teaching.   

The auxiliary staff we had were required to have a degree but it did not have to be in education.   Unless it is a bonafide, non-teaching position such as an administrative position, it will likely be under the watchful eye of the MOE and Immigration.

• Thanks 1

Talk to employment agencies. They have connections and can pull strings to get you hired without a degree, if that's what you're getting at. They'll want you teaching in one way or another though.

You'll have to sell yourself with something of value that you'd do for the kids, as others have said, you might've had experience with marching bands, with sports, with art, with counseling troubled youth. Perhaps you've volunteered at a church or community center, helping kids or the elderly. Perhaps you were inspired to do so by the trouble you escaped in your neighborhood or family. Tell a good story.

Of course I won't name names, but you should look out to the larger Northeastern provinces, with the big, famous name schools, where you'll see the agencies serving them posting ads like "3-5 positions available now!" Heh, it's totally a racket. They'll do whatever to pack farangs in as they're eyeing those fat budget allocations, that they're ready to get a piece of. The downside to this is of course, don't expect to be treated so well.

But if you're looking to somehow get to Thailand, and honestly want to try helping kids, and you're worried that your background/quals wouldn't fit a conventional teaching role, this would be the way to do it.