What media player will play all formats on My Smart TV's?

giddyup

I have a Sony Bravia and a Panasonic Viera Smart TV's that I use mostly to play downloaded movies with a USB drive. However both TV's won't recognise some formats like HEVC, so what media player is there that will play everything?

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Just tried it on my new Panasonic Viera and VLC say no files detected when I have two HEVC files loaded.

What’s the model number of the Panasonic? 
It might also be helpful to glean exactly the kind of file that is in question. Not all HEVC is the same. 

My suggestion for now is to go here: http://www.larmoire.info/jellyfish/ to download some test files to your USB drive. There are three types: H.264, H.265 8-bit and H.265 10-bit. Some players can struggle with 10-bit. 

The further you move down the list, the more difficult for the device in question. This way you find out the limitations of your device. 
If the media in question is 4K, then scroll down and begin at the 4K section. 

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

What’s the model number of the Panasonic? 
It might also be helpful to glean exactly the kind of file that is in question. Not all HEVC is the same. 

My suggestion for now is to go here: http://www.larmoire.info/jellyfish/ to download some test files to your USB drive. There are three types: H.264, H.265 8-bit and H.265 10-bit. Some players can struggle with 10-bit. 

The further you move down the list, the more difficult for the device in question. This way you find out the limitations of your device. 
If the media in question is 4K, then scroll down and begin at the 4K section. 

The Panasonic is a TH-43LX800T Android TV. I took a USB stick with a couple of HEVC files to the TV seller today and the stick wouldn't play on either a Panasonic of Sony TV. I was thinking of buying an external media player that will play everything. Of course I can just avoid downloading HEVC files which is probably the most sensible solution.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The Panasonic is a TH-43LX800T Android TV. I took a USB stick with a couple of HEVC files to the TV seller today and the stick wouldn't play on either a Panasonic of Sony TV. I was thinking of buying an external media player that will play everything. Of course I can just avoid downloading HEVC files which is probably the most sensible solution.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/androidboxstore/

I use a free program called VidCoder to convert any files that don't play on my Samsung Smart TV.

https://vidcoder.net/

There a various settings you can play with but I just use it straight out of the box, so to speak, except reducing the file size and increasing the volume.

This great little program can reduce a 20Gb movie file down to 700mb and still be perfectly watchable on my 45in flatscreen.

Conversion takes some time but if you set CPU use to 75% you can get on with using the computer just like normal. Or as I do sometimes let it run conversions overnight.

:smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Your TV can only play AVI, MKV, MP4, VOB, MPG & DAT. 
Get yourself an Android box to bring everything up to date. 

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Of course I can just avoid downloading HEVC files which is probably the most sensible solution.

And that's exactly what I do, because my Sony Smart TV will not cater for these HEVC files (H265) and nor will VLC media player.

I've also got a "Format Factory" app on which I convert movies in the MKV format to MP4, before sending to an old friend in Australia, because his TV has a problem with the MKV format (and he's not computer literate) however this won't convert H265 either!

All the time there is the option for the non-H265 movies, then this is the course I shall follow.

Edited by xylophone
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

TV has a problem with the MKV format (and he's not computer literate) however this won't convert H265 either!

Check out my previous post:-  https://vidcoder.net/

• Completely integrated encoding pipeline: everything is in one process and no huge intermediate temporary files
  • H.264, H.265, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VP8, Theora video

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Just now, NextG said:

I posted a link…

I didn't see if it plays HEVC, but I'm now thinking that it might be easier to just avoid that format. I read that you can add HEVC capabilities to VLC player under TOOLS but I don't see that option on my Android TV.

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Of course I can just avoid downloading HEVC files which is probably the most sensible solution.

And that's exactly what I do, because my Sony Smart TV will not cater for these HEVC files (H265) and nor will VLC media player.

I've also got a "Format Factory" app on which I convert movies in the MKV format to MP4, before sending to an old friend in Australia, because his TV has a problem with the MKV format (and he's not computer literate) however this won't convert H265 either!

All the time there is the option for the non-H265 movies, then this is the course I shall follow.

So easy to update everything using an Android box, if you can afford it. A good spec, say with Amlogic S905x4 will go for around 1600. They add quite a bit of functionality in addition. 
My Torrents stay in the Cloud, I play them directly from there using KODI on an Android box. Nothing needs to be downloaded to my PC beforehand nor to my phone if I choose to use that to grab a Torrent. 
But even if you choose to use it to simply play media via USB, it’s still much cheaper than a new TV ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Check out my previous post:-  https://vidcoder.net/

• Completely integrated encoding pipeline: everything is in one process and no huge intermediate temporary files
  • H.264, H.265, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VP8, Theora video

:thumbsup:

Seriously, that’s too primitive. Splash out on a media player and save the time and energy used to convert video. Of course only if it’s within budget. 
Allow me to give you an example… I can find a Magnet or Torrent file on my PC or phone and be viewing the media on my TV in as little as a minute. No need to download it beforehand at all. Now imagine that I had to wait for it to download to my hard drive and then I had to convert it overnight before being able to view it ????

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I didn't see if it plays HEVC, but I'm now thinking that it might be easier to just avoid that format. I read that you can add HEVC capabilities to VLC player under TOOLS but I don't see that option on my Android TV.

Up to you…

I didn’t post just one choice. They likely will all play H.265, with the better ones playing AV1 too. 
Your hardware is incapable. VLC cannot override the hardware issue. An Android box will allow you to play anything you download. Then no need to faff around picking and choosing the lowest quality videos and worse, having to convert them. If you can afford it, why out yourself through unnecessary difficulty? ????

• Thanks 1

Since most of today's smart TVs run their own proprietary OS, it still makes sense via a HDMI port to add a TV Box which is able accessing and running apps via Google Play store.

Historically, I'm used to running Kodi on a Minix TV Box (started with the Neo X7) so I'm able play all kinds of video formats from external USB drives using an additional externally powered hub. Propriety OSs of today's Smart TVs are only capable of handling specific subsets of video formats.

Here are some other links for further information:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/neo-u9_h-i4321184515-s17212042573.html

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jacnl2000 said:

Since most of today's smart TVs run their own proprietary OS, it still makes sense via a HDMI port to add a TV Box which is able accessing and running apps via Google Play store.

Historically, I'm used to running Kodi on a Minix TV Box (started with the Neo X7) so I'm able play all kinds of video formats from external USB drives using an additional externally powered hub. Propriety OSs of today's Smart TVs are only capable of handling specific subsets of video formats.

Here are some other links for further information:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/neo-u9_h-i4321184515-s17212042573.html

Why the Lazada link to a five year old Android box running Android 6.0.1?

It can hardly playback any modern formats. ASF,MPEG,RM,RMVB,WMV,MP4 are what is listed in your advertisement. 

I fail to see the point of your post. Can you clarify why you have posted about an outdated box?

6 hours ago, NextG said:

It can hardly playback any modern formats. ASF,MPEG,RM,RMVB,WMV,MP4 are what is listed in your advertisement. 

I fail to see the point of your post. Can you clarify why you have posted about an outdated box?

Wat are the best Kodi boxes in (at 23rd) January 2023:

https://kodi.expert/best-kodi-boxes/

Listed #8: MINIX NEO U9-H

Don't know if it cannot hardly playback any modern formats. For me it is important it can play all my existent stored formats. I do not trust the specs at Lazada. I would check the minix forum.

Review mentioned is certainly not outdated (only 2 days old). Didn't realize this was a 5 year old box. All I wanted to show is that many more different boxes exist. Despite its age, this relative old box it is still mentioned in a most recent review and still mentioned by Lazada.

11 minutes ago, jacnl2000 said:

Don't know if it cannot hardly playback any modern formats. For me it is important it can play all my existent stored formats. I do not trust the specs at Lazada. I would check the minix forum.

Review mentioned is certainly not outdated (only 2 days old). Didn't realize this was a 5 year old box. All I wanted to show is that many more different boxes exist. Despite its age, this relative old box it is still mentioned in a most recent review and still mentioned by Lazada.

Nothing there has anything to do with 2023. They likely just change the dates every year including the ‘last updated’ pages. Would be telling if they posted the original dates. Some would be from 2015/2016. 

7 hours ago, NextG said:

What is a box that can play all modern formats?

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

What is a box that can play all modern formats?

I already linked you to many… I have no idea why someone would create a post for a totally outdated Android box that isn’t even sold anymore. It’s six years old already.  A distraction and a waste of everyone’s time. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, jacnl2000 said:

To be fair to you, it does play more formats than are stated in the Lazada link. But it was you who provided the Lazada link to the first place. No reason why, as you cannot even purchase it via that link. 
Equally the outdated reviews where they just change the dates to make it look as if they are recent. 
The reviews are likely from 2017; https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/01/minix-neo-u9-h-media-hub-review-part-2-android-6-0-firmware-kodi-17/

shows that it is still quite capable. But it wasn’t  helpful to link to a device that has long been discontinued and running a seven year old version of Android. 

On 1/22/2023 at 3:11 PM, NextG said:

So easy to update everything using an Android box, if you can afford it. A good spec, say with Amlogic S905x4 will go for around 1600. They add quite a bit of functionality in addition. 
My Torrents stay in the Cloud, I play them directly from there using KODI on an Android box. Nothing needs to be downloaded to my PC beforehand nor to my phone if I choose to use that to grab a Torrent. 
But even if you choose to use it to simply play media via USB, it’s still much cheaper than a new TV ????

How difficult/easy is it for a novice to fully load one of these boxes? I'm tempted to buy one just because it will play most video formats, but it would also be nice to watch whatever else I can add to it.

35 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How difficult/easy is it for a novice to fully load one of these boxes? I'm tempted to buy one just because it will play most video formats, but it would also be nice to watch whatever else I can add to it.

Depends on what me mean by “fully load”.

I haven’t ‘loaded’ mine with anything. Instead it’s linked to a cloud service. Any sound, images and video media saved in the cloud, is playable on the TV via the Android box or from any device of my choosing. 
Whereas someone else might want foreign TV channels etc which would require you to install something to the box. These things aren’t infallible 

Perhaps you can send a PM to Jai Dee. He has some experience with Android boxes and their accompanying software. 

• Thumbs Up 1