Internet banking change.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:02 PM, Madgee said:

If you really must use a pc instead of a mobile device then download Bluestacks 5. It's an android emulator for a pc. Download your apps from Google Play that you want and view / use them exactly the same as you would using a mobile.
I mainly use it for Lazada as the mobile app has advantages over the pc app so I can view it on a larger screen! Also many messages on the Lazada chat can only be read using the mobile app. By using Bluestacks 5 I can read them on my pc. 

It's been a while since I wrote for Android, but it was always pretty easy to work out whether someone was on a real device or a virtual machine / emulator and many apps, especially financial, would not allow you to run on the latter.

I'd be very suspicious of an internet banking app that can run on an emulator, as that emulator can just be copied multiple times, hence it removes 1FA from MFA (you having the device with you).

On 1/24/2023 at 1:18 PM, Stocky said:

I'm only guessing. But you get the feeling stuff is moving more toward the app - the latest being the virtual debit card which you can only obtain via K-Plus. I doubt it's imminent, but it's likely on the cards eventually.

One thing I liked about kasikorn was the virtual shopping card, it allowed me a buffer to keep my real card number from the internet. It turned out to be a good thing, as a year ago this card was compromised, but the only place i used it to was Lazada and PayPal but at this time they stopped issuing new ones - I had been enquiring over the past year on a monthly basis when the system would be updated to allow new applications, at first they gave me dates, then extended into two months time and then no fixed schedule. 

Now I see that the shopping card has been phased out and a new card issued, via the app - before you could only apply for certain features via k-cyber, due to security - now they seem to have done a 360 and the phone app is more secure .. I’m not overly happy with the direction they are heading. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Suggest you stop reading conspiracy websites, practice basic online/digital security, and enter the 21st century.

Who defines what is a conspiracy theory and what is not?

Who defines what constitues "basic Online/digital security" Google? Microsoft? - not open source software so who knows what goes on in those dark recesses.

I live in the 21st century and I see too many people trusting their own "theories" about IT and its value in our society.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, indyo said:

if on pc run windows cannot be safer than android or apple apps connecting to a bank in my opinion 

I think we all have to remember all tech firms mobile or otherwise hold one thing in the highest regard - NOT me NOT you BUT our data it's their lifeblood (money) and they will do all they can to protect and exploit that revenue stream.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Phoned the Krung Thai Call Centre this morning. They said the problem with the app had been fixed and to go to a Krung Thai branch.

Went to a Krung Thai branch this afternoon and after about 15 minutes, signing a few forms and entering a PIN on my phone she got the app to work. She bypassed the facial recognition and I just use a PIN to open the app. You can also use fingerprint recognition. 

Haven't actually transferred any money but had a look around the app and it seems OK. The only solution seems to be to go in to a bank and get them to bypass the facial recognition and get you to use a PIN. Not good news if you are overseas.

Edited by tubber
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, tubber said:

Phoned the Krung Thai Call Centre this morning. They said the problem with the app had been fixed and to go to a Krung Thai branch.

Went to a Krung Thai branch this afternoon and after about 15 minutes, signing a few forms and entering a PIN on my phone she got the app to work. She bypassed the facial recognition and I just use a PIN to open the app. You can also use fingerprint recognition. 

Haven't actually transferred any money but had a look around the app and it seems OK. The only solution seems to be to go in to a bank and get them to bypass the facial recognition and get you to use a PIN. Not good news if you are overseas.

Just tried the; https://www.ktbnetbank.com/

to see if they had changed their minds or forgotten.

2056725309_Screenshot_2023-02-01KTBnetbank166.png.bda57683686b3833d2306f10328dde13.png

Gone!

Edited by owl sees all

On 1/24/2023 at 7:52 PM, tubber said:

I don't like using phones and find it easier to do everything on a laptop which is what I am on now. I have downloaded and installed Krung Thai Next app on my phone. I will go in to the bank tomorrow and see what they say.

Phone are much quicker.

5 minutes ago, tubber said:

That was the first thing I tried this morning. Then gave the Call Centre a phone to express my indignation but they were actually very polite and helpful. 

Rotten sods.

I'll never use their KTB Netbank Service again.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Saphan said:

Banking apps are top level. Main thing is get a good phone. One you enjoy using.

As far as I know although you can buy many phone brands, since the demise of Blackberry there are only two operating systems on the phones Apple OS or Google OS (Android). So whatever phone you buy its security or otherwise is determined by these two TECH giants

Edited by Negita43

4 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

As far as I know although you can buy many phone brands, since the demise of Blackberry there are only two operating systems on the phones Apple OS or Google OS (Android). So whatever phone you buy it's security or otherwise is determined by these two TECH giants

there are several other mobile operating systems, for example Sailfish or PureOS.

unfortunately they are not usable as daily OS.

44 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

As far as I know although you can buy many phone brands, since the demise of Blackberry there are only two operating systems on the phones Apple OS or Google OS (Android). So whatever phone you buy its security or otherwise is determined by these two TECH giants

Security is good. Top level. Some phones are easier to use. Big screen ones ideal for internet.

Computers get more viruses than phones.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:07 PM, owl sees all said:

I have a mobile phone. Just invested in an 'all singing' 'all dancing' bit of kit (on right). My old Nokia battery just couldn't cut the mustard, so I dug deep and bought a new one.

She looks like she might drain your account pretty quick????

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 6:31 PM, Saphan said:

Security is good. Top level. Some phones are easier to use. Big screen ones ideal for internet.

Computers get more viruses than phones.

Yes that sounds right. Since a laptop screen is so much smaller than a big phone screen.

And as you get older that big 5 inch phone screen must be better than your 14 inch laptop. To actually see what you do is overrated. :crazy:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

Yes that sounds right. Since a laptop screen is so much smaller than a big phone screen.

And as you get older that big 5 inch phone screen must be better than your 14 inch laptop. To actually see what you do is overrated. :crazy:

My 15" laptop is hooked up to my 42" TV - I can just make out the log in screen????

And in another security warning, it seems  thieves and scammers have been altering QR Codes.

They then put them into pages that copy genuine bank sites with security warnings etc.

If anyone scans the  QR Code, it gives the scammers access to that phone, including banking.

This gives some advice on how to spot them:

https://www.aura.com/learn/fake-qr-code-scams

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

And in another security warning, it seems  thieves and scammers have been altering QR Codes.

They then put them into pages that copy genuine bank sites with security warnings etc.

Why would anybody click on something they don't know the meaning of.

Come to that why would anybody click on those tantalising email notifications from someone they dont know.  IT seems to have engendered a cavalier attitude to being careful.

Do I trust IT - NO - do I use it YES BUT

3 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Why would anybody click on something they don't know the meaning of.

Come to that why would anybody click on those tantalising email notifications from someone they dont know.  IT seems to have engendered a cavalier attitude to being careful.

Do I trust IT - NO - do I use it YES BUT

Send out enough fake webpages of bank X, and you are  bound to hit many of their customers.

These scammers take advantage of people, usually the elderly, that may not be adept with modern technology, and may not know to verify an email's source.

They use social engineering and tricks to play on their fears that their money is being stolen. That fear, when told that they are being robbed instills a sense of urgency.

People panic and may click on an innocent looking QR Code in the belief that it is from their bank. Not realising the consequences.

• Thumbs Up 1