The shortage of printer ink cartridges.

phetphet

While trying to source printer ink cartridges, I came across this article.

https://www.windowscentral.com/canon-printer-chip-shortage

Basically, due to the current worldwide shortage of semi conductor chips, companies such as Canon are being forced to ship ink cartridges without chips in them. They will apparently provide a work around on their website for the warnings given when using unofficial ones, or any without their chip in them.

• Like 1

for third world markets, manufacturer seem to have given up on expensive cartridge, most decent  inkjet printer from big brands come with ink tank from the factory where you can refill yourself and even the official ink in bottles that you squeeze into the tank are reasonable 

I think models with ink tank are around 3000 baht, how cheap the initial price for the cartridge model would have to be for it to make sense with razor handle+blades model? 1,999? but with each refill costing 5-600, 2 each for color and black, that's almost the cost of the printer! sure, they fill the cartridge that came with the printer a little low to prevent people from using the printer once and buying new

ink tank printer in the west so far seem to be only available for 'commercial' models of around $200 and up for now

It's cheaper to buy a new printer on sale than pay an exorbitant price for an ink cartridge.

This is how the manufacturers get you and make a profit. There is hardly any profit in selling printers.

Very similar to automobiles manufacturers, they make their money through parts and repairs....

image.jpeg.1d8be7136c5aebb0cbacf4cecaad0e14.jpeg

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

It's cheaper to buy a new printer on sale than pay an exorbitant price for an ink cartridge.

This is how the manufacturers get you and make a profit. There is hardly any profit in selling printers.

Very similar to automobiles manufacturers, they make their money through parts and repairs....

image.jpeg.1d8be7136c5aebb0cbacf4cecaad0e14.jpeg

Yes. That is their business model. Hook you with cheap printer prices, then charge the Earth for ink cartridges.

My Canon printer, scanner, copier is not that old, but as you say, it might be better to buy a new one if this shortage continues.

I have finally managed to source the particular black ink cartridge I need from Lazada. Though not deivered yet.

A bit late for printing all the documents required for my retirement extension, but it should at least last me the next few months.

@Ginkas. Yes. This article still applies. There is a severe shortage of Canon ink cartridges.

I see little need to have a printer, unless I have a business needing lots printed. Here I only print docs for immigration. I put the filled out forms on a USB stick and take it to a photo shop where they print it for a few baht a page. No printer needed at my house. No ink cartridges, no space to put the printer, etc.

I do the same in my home country. Easier though. You email your docs to staples and then go to the shop and print them. $.12 per sheet for black and white.