successful border jump to Laos January 2023

1 hour ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks for the report. Good news for long stayers, that the Laos borders are still accessible, and haven't gone the way of the Cambodian borders.

indeed.

I'm guessing Malaysia border will be the 2nd best for the foreseeable future... less drugs and riff raff so IOs less paranoid and grumpy from their unpredictable bosses in BKK putting pressure on them compared with Cambodia and Myanmar borders.

7 hours ago, abramk said:

1st -- the tons of ads on this site make it nearly unusable for non tech people...... so spammy, one reason I barely use it anymore.

totally agree. its very aggressive and often

my theory is Thai government just loves Laos people more than other neighbors, simple as.

are you Laotion?! if not i dont think this comment is related to anything. and if yes, well you dont need to do the things you are doing to get in thailand.. 

meanwhile Cambodia border is worse than ever, corruption, bribes, angry IOs, rejections etc.

well known like 10 years now... morning.. 

a question though: whats your plan to stay longer in thailand? thai cooking classes are fun i heard. lot videos on tiktok too

Edited by problemfarang

21 hours ago, abramk said:

indeed.

I'm guessing Malaysia border will be the 2nd best for the foreseeable future... less drugs and riff raff so IOs less paranoid and grumpy from their unpredictable bosses in BKK putting pressure on them compared with Cambodia and Myanmar borders.

You'll have to go to the office (not to a kiosk) if you go

through Padang Besar, so you'd get ready for at least

a few questions to be asked by the IO then.

Good luck!

Edited by Saigon

5 hours ago, kelboy said:

Hi how much do you have to pay and is it in thai  baht or US dollars thanks I'm going on Monday. 

If you are asking about Laos, almost all nationalities must pay US$40 for the Laos visa on arrival. You can pay in baht, but the cost then is much higher. If using the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai, it is possible to use a Laos e-visa, a little more expensive than the visa on arrival, but avoiding queuing and allowing use of the international bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane if you want to use that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I just did a border run to Savannakhet across the friendship bridge in Mukdahan. The Bus go Laos is 50 baht. The Laos Visa on arrival was $40 USD + 200 baht (Of note the bills most be in good shape or they will be rejected). Getting stamp out of Laos is 100 baht. And then the Bus to Thailand is 55 Baht. All in all it took less than 2 hours.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, JGon said:

I just did a border run to Savannakhet across the friendship bridge in Mukdahan. The Bus go Laos is 50 baht. The Laos Visa on arrival was $40 USD + 200 baht (Of note the bills most be in good shape or they will be rejected). Getting stamp out of Laos is 100 baht. And then the Bus to Thailand is 55 Baht. All in all it took less than 2 hours.

Thanks for the up to date info. Were any documents, such as proof of travel or savings, asked for to get the visa exempt on returning to Mukdahan?

On 1/25/2023 at 1:39 AM, abramk said:

my theory is Thai government just loves Laos people more than other neighbors, simple as. They want to keep growing closer to Laos before China owns them.

Physically Laos people resemble Thai people, and they share much ancestry with people living in Thailand. In fact, a huge proportion of ethnic Lao people live in Thailand now. Laos people watch Thai TV, most Laos people can speak Thai. Laos people have similar culture and Issan foods. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

On 2/3/2023 at 2:38 AM, BritTim said:

international bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane if you want to use that.

How do you take the bus? What I mean is assuming I am arriving from Bangkok to Udon by flight, how do I catch the bus? Timing etc? Is it going to Vientine? Can you please post some details please. TIA.

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

How do you take the bus? What I mean is assuming I am arriving from Bangkok to Udon by flight, how do I catch the bus? Timing etc? Is it going to Vientine? Can you please post some details please. TIA.

I think you might need the Laos visa before you get on the bus . Maybe easier to get the minibus from in front of Central , Udon to the bridge and apply for the Laos visa on arrival at the counter .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

If arriving by air at Udon Thani airport (which is actually close to Nong Khai) taking the international bus from Udon Thani town does not make sense. Use the international bus only if you will be in Udon Thani itself. From the airport, take a van to the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai, cross and pick up transport on the other side.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 3:38 PM, BritTim said:

If you are asking about Laos, almost all nationalities must pay US$40 for the Laos visa on arrival. You can pay in baht, but the cost then is much higher. If using the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai, it is possible to use a Laos e-visa, a little more expensive than the visa on arrival, but avoiding queuing and allowing use of the international bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane if you want to use that.

The International Bus from Udon Thani bus station isn't available for foreigners, only Thai and Laos people who don't need visas. On the window it says if you don't have a visa, you can't use the bus. It also says No E-Visas. I tried this recently based on info from the internet saying that with an E-Visa you can take the international bus. It's not possible for some reason with an E-Visa. The man at the window said this too. Only option is to take a van from Central to Nong Khai border for 55 baht.

• Like 1