Thaksin says daughter will announce his return to Thailand this year

webfact

7 hours ago, Card said:

A statute of limitations must be coming to an end.

Yes, He wouldn’t risk coming back if it meant him being arrested.  I’m quite sure that he has the best Thai lawyers and high ups to back him. The clowns need to go before they totally ruin the country. 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

What is the difference between civil crimes and political crimes. 

Because all i know he has been conviced for corruption and other fraud stuff. Now you might think its political (and going after him probably was) but that does not mean he did not commit the crimes.

The courts have clearly been used as a political weapon, your refusal to acknowledge this fact reflects poorly on your honesty, intellect or both.

Should you ever (even inadvertently) find yourself mixed up in the Thai judicial system you will very quickly discover karma is a bitch.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, geisha said:

Yes, He wouldn’t risk coming back if it meant him being arrested.  I’m quite sure that he has the best Thai lawyers and high ups to back him. The clowns need to go before they totally ruin the country. 

That sound a very serious case that could ruin the country in your words. So what was that serious case that he was found guilty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

Whenever I read "Thaksin coming back to Thailand" I think of Benigno Aquino at Manila airport in August 1983.

Forty years on I wonder what might happen here in Thailand.

Rooster

It's a possibility 

4 hours ago, San Fran Dan said:

Good when he comes back throw him in Prison…

exactly .... he's a wanted criminal.  It is estimated he could serve up to 12 years if apprehended.

Jan 10, 2565 BEHowever, Thaksin faces a total of 12 years in prison over corruption and abuse-of-power convictions stemming from his two terms as premier, ...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

The courts have clearly been used as a political weapon, your refusal to acknowledge this fact reflects poorly on your honesty, intellect or both.

Should you ever (even inadvertently) find yourself mixed up in the Thai judicial system you will very quickly discover karma is a bitch.

Does it make the corruption and crimes not real ?

No they were real.

The only political part is that they went after him normally they allow corruption. (in their own circle)

So the crimes were real.. its just out of the ordinary that someone got punished for it. I am happy he got punished at least that shos some people can get punished for corruption.

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Name a country with no corruption.

There isn’t one - only the levels vary.

Exposing government corruption is one of the main strategies for opposition parties to win elections - democracy counters corruption (to a degree).

Democratic Thailand will always be less corrupt than Dictatorship Thailand.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

????

I would be ok if the levels were not as much. You probably from the US or something like that where corruption and abuse of power is normal (see the whole democrat republican spats election stealing ect). I am from the Netherlands hardly any corruption. So I have higher standards. Most of us in Western Europe do

I state, there is no difference corruption wise between any of them. None of them will make rules that actively combat corruption. Democracy wont change a thing. I wish it would but it wont. Its just an other group of money grabbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

I have a great deal of knowledge about honesty. Dedication to the rule of law and order.

The fact that you spout that we are have no idea but you do begs the question what makes you so almighty informed.

Thaksins was found guilty by the courts he appealled and was still found guilty

If as you say it was tripe and bs why did he not comeback when pt were in power.

Also the point you are also missing is that while he is popular in the PT world he us not popular outside it.

He represents everything that Thais are trying to get rid of.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, generealty said:

I agree that Thaksin is no saint but he is the best of a bad lot and having lived here for 26 years, things were much better for Farang back then. So I personally welcome the news.

I happen to agree with this...The exchange rate was in the 70s..... Now 40s!????????

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Taksin bridge was not named after Thaksin Shinawatra, it was named after King Taksin.

Just to be pedantic...

And to be even more pedantic,  the spelling in Thai and the pronunciation of the two names are very different.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lungbing said:

And to be even more pedantic,  the spelling in Thai and the pronunciation of the two names are very different.

Sure. Both have little to do with Euro-transliteration/phonetics. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

There is no future for Thailand democracy does not solve its corruption problems. So basically new government only means different people benefitting. No change in at all otherwise. 

I really hope the current mob loses but only a fool will think the new government wont be corrupt. Only party that is a bit decent is move forward and they wont get enough votes.

Shins & the military government  ar both utterly corrupt so it really does not matter much what one lies to you. Still better have someone to lie to you that is voted in then that rolled with a tank in. But practically nothing will change. 

The difference is that if the government is voted in, it has to bear in mind that it must convince the electorate to vote it in again in four years time. Getting a working democratic process, not based on lies or ridiculous impractical proposals  will take several election cycles. Every time there is a coup that "timeline" is reset to zero.

That would probably eventually have been Thaksin 's downfall - Abhisit may well have been able to beat him after a couple of elections. Instead we have effectively had two decades of military rule and everything is back to year zero.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

????

I would be ok if the levels were not as much. You probably from the US or something like that where corruption and abuse of power is normal (see the whole democrat republican spats election stealing ect). I am from the Netherlands hardly any corruption. So I have higher standards. Most of us in Western Europe do

I state, there is no difference corruption wise between any of them. None of them will make rules that actively combat corruption. Democracy wont change a thing. I wish it would but it wont. Its just an other group of money grabbers. 

....and a Constitutional Monarchy doesn't qualify as a define Democracy. 

33 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The difference is that if the government is voted in, it has to bear in mind that it must convince the electorate to vote it in again in four years time. Getting a working democratic process, not based on lies or ridiculous impractical proposals  will take several election cycles. Every time there is a coup that "timeline" is reset to zero.

That would probably eventually have been Thaksin 's downfall - Abhisit may well have been able to beat him after a couple of elections. Instead we have effectively had two decades of military rule and everything is back to year zero.

Yet, those supposed elected "civilian" governments still answered to a higher source, didn't they?

Moot.