Thaksin says daughter will announce his return to Thailand this year

webfact

On 1/26/2023 at 5:07 PM, MrMojoRisin said:

What planet you on bro?

We keep taling about getting rid of the big money brown envelope politics.  That is part of what Thaksin was and is.

This want a government that is not going to be filled with corruption and shady deals.

The only way he should come back is to either face the charges or accept them,  Granting him and his sister immunity is not what is needed as it creates a precedence for every leader or politician before and after him.

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:20 AM, robblok said:

Even military governments go away eventually. So that argument does not make sense. My point is that it does not matter corruption wise. The sad fact is that they are all corrupt and will never do a thing to make it better. So unless politicians change nothing will change. 

But given that i know that now I wont support a miltary government anymore. But that does not  mean i like the corrupt other governements from Thaksin any better. The guy was hugely corrupt and a blatant liar so nothing to be happy about.

Im no ok with whoever will come knowing that nothing will change and the people will be robbed the same. 

I was just an idiot to believe things could be better. (I came here during Thaksins reign of corruption and was shocked thinking anything would be better not realizing they are all the same). Lets hope that there wont be any more violence.

Yes it is going to be interesting to see what the people do if they do not like the next government.  Protests are okay but I think they are really gong to have to be careful how hard they protest and what they do.  I do not think that there is a desire for the military to take over again.

53 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

We keep taling about getting rid of the big money brown envelope politics.  That is part of what Thaksin was and is.

This want a government that is not going to be filled with corruption and shady deals.

The only way he should come back is to either face the charges or accept them,  Granting him and his sister immunity is not what is needed as it creates a precedence for every leader or politician before and after him.

It really is such a stupid premise you guys insist on regurgitating. Thailand’s transition to a less corrupt society is not going to happen overnight with the appearance of a white knight in shining armour, it will be gradual, a step by step building of institutional powers and resilience. First and foremost, democracy must be restored. Truth and Reconciliation worked wonderfully in South Africa when Mandela became president - I think it would be the best path forward here. Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and face no punishment, fall short of this standard then you will be prosecuted and if guilty, jailed. Military dictatorship is the worst of all possible realities - by a long long way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

So if Thaksin and Yingluck are granted immunity from prosecution, it will create a precedent?

How does that create a precedent, when every military coup leader grants himself and his cronies immunity after every coup, and there have been 18 since 1932?

Edited by billd766
added punctuation marks
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So if Thaksin and Yingluck are granted immunity from prosecution, it will create a precedent?

How does that create a precedent, when every military coup leader grants himself and his cronies immunity after every coup, and there have been 18 since 1932?

If they use the same wording as before it gives anyone that has been prosecuted for political crimes immunity.  Also any person that is charged with Corruption and skips  the country will be able to use this as their means to get back.

EXAMPLE  X is PM and his party is removed by force protest  because he is caught with his families fingers in the cookie jar.  The incoming government charges him in absentia and he is found guilty in the same courts as Thaksin was.  Somchai can use it as a precedent for him to be able to come back and say that it was apolitical hit job would he not. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:44 AM, daveAustin said:

Can’t see that happening. The gorilla in the room likely has a few cards up his sleeve. 

Anutin will be the new Prime Minister.  It is already decided by the person in charge.

It follows that the Bhumjaithai party will be selected as the winner of the election unless Anutin moves camp.

18 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If they use the same wording as before it gives anyone that has been prosecuted for political crimes immunity.  Also any person that is charged with Corruption and skips  the country will be able to use this as their means to get back.

EXAMPLE  X is PM and his party is removed by force protest  because he is caught with his families fingers in the cookie jar.  The incoming government charges him in absentia and he is found guilty in the same courts as Thaksin was.  Somchai can use it as a precedent for him to be able to come back and say that it was apolitical hit job would he not. 

That would depend on who runs the courts and the justice system. Thaksin was charged by the military who ran the coup against him, and so was Yingluck.

Both coups were illegal which means that any charges against them both were effectively illegal also.

To get a clean and effective neutral court and justice system will take several years.

Have you noticed how many coup leaders and their cronies have been charged under the same system?

• Like 2

IMHO I don’t think Taksin will go the amnesty nor the national unity route to enable him to return. There will be much uproar with certain segment of the Bangkokians that may trigger unrest. He tried that route and created an unstable government for Yingluck.

I think he will enter the judiciary process by asking for re-trial under the Retrial of Criminal Cases Act BE 2526. He was trialed in absentia and a case can be made that the trials were not free from political interference. He can then return and be free on bail. He probably given assurance by the next friendly government under Prawit of a favourable trial outcome 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Anutin will be the new Prime Minister.  It is already decided by the person in charge.

It follows that the Bhumjaithai party will be selected as the winner of the election unless Anutin moves camp.

Is the person in charge really the person in charge anymore?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Yes it is going to be interesting to see what the people do if they do not like the next government.  Protests are okay but I think they are really gong to have to be careful how hard they protest and what they do.  I do not think that there is a desire for the military to take over again.

Again....??

It's always been in charge, has it not? [under privileged direction, of course] 

On 1/26/2023 at 8:02 AM, brianthainess said:

While I agree Thaksin was much better than having Generals trying to run a country with a dictational mindset, (lets not forget the attitude camps) trumping up charges to get rid of popular opposition. And now FFP in the running changes things, unfortunately Thaksin's statement that weed was as bad as opium has put me off him. :coffee1:

Really? How stupid and outdated to say such a thing... 

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

IMHO I don’t think Taksin will go the amnesty nor the national unity route to enable him to return. There will be much uproar with certain segment of the Bangkokians that may trigger unrest. He tried that route and created an unstable government for Yingluck.

I think he will enter the judiciary process by asking for re-trial under the Retrial of Criminal Cases Act BE 2526. He was trialed in absentia and a case can be made that the trials were not free from political interference. He can then return and be free on bail. He probably given assurance by the next friendly government under Prawit of a favourable trial outcome 

Good plan, though IMHO Prawit will not be in the next government.

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Good plan, though IMHO Prawit will not be in the next government.

If this is the plan, Thaksin will need Prawit to be the Prime Minister. Also need PTP to win big in the House of Representatives. That will almost guarantee premiership for Prawit. With his leverage, he can control the anti Thaksin faction in the senate. As an incumbent elite, he hold sway with leaders of the yellow shirts to soften their resistance for sake of national unity. I don’t see any other politician with that unique power and position. I also don’t think he will serve a full term. Just my 2 Baht opinion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Really? How stupid and outdated to say such a thing... 

Now that legalised weed has been around for a while in the West lots of very bright and prominent people have come full circle regarding their views on pot.

One of my favorite authors, PJ O'Rourke, is one example.

In one of his early books: The Bachelor Home Companion he wrote a guide of how to behave on a list of different drugs.  He was a avid supporter of recreational drug use back then.

But in a recent interview I saw he commented that he now holds the view that pot in itself not that harmful of a substance, however it is definitely a gateway drug that more often then not leads to the usage of much more harmful substances.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 7:17 AM, Eric Loh said:

If this is the plan, Thaksin will need Prawit to be the Prime Minister. Also need PTP to win big in the House of Representatives. That will almost guarantee premiership for Prawit. With his leverage, he can control the anti Thaksin faction in the senate. As an incumbent elite, he hold sway with leaders of the yellow shirts to soften their resistance for sake of national unity. I don’t see any other politician with that unique power and position. I also don’t think he will serve a full term. Just my 2 Baht opinion. 

Eric 

I did not see your comment until weeks later. 

I don't think the mood of most Thai ( or Thai Senate )  is strongly anti-Thaksin or Anti-Thaksin family now in 2023.  But the mood is against  Thaksin-showing-in-Bangkok.  The Thai just don't like seeing Thaksin stepping foot on Thai soil that will cause whatever trouble to follow.   

I think The Thai are fine in giving the young and inexperienced lady the huge step-up being the next Prime Minister,   but the Thai don't like her father coming back for her.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sscc said:

Eric 

I don't think the mood of most Thai ( or Thai Senate )  is strongly anti-Thaksin or Anti-Thaksin family now in 2023.  But the mood is against  Thaksin-showing-in-Bangkok.  The Thai just don't like seeing Thaksin stepping foot on Thai soil that will cause whatever trouble to follow.   

I think The Thai are fine in giving the young and inexperienced lady the huge step-up being the next Prime Minister,   but the Thai don't like her father coming back for her.  

Have you anything to back that up?

The yellow shirts and the rabid royalists are mostly based around Bangkok and I agree with you on that.

However, a very large number of Thais don't live in Bangkok but in rural Thailand, the North and the North East, and they hate the military and all their coups.

IMHO they would welcome Thaksin and Yingluck with open arms, open hearts and votes.

Again IMHO opinion if Thaksin were to land at a Northern or North Eastern airport it would take a large army to arrest him as the local Thais would not allow it to happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sscc said:

Eric 

As you know, the protests & the 2 coups were not popular uprising. Wikileaks revealed that the major forces behind the coups were anti-democratic groups in the military and civilian elites, disgruntled business leaders, neo-liberal intellectuals and politicians. What these groups have in common was contempt and prejudice against the poor. They are afraid of giving too much democracy and too much power to the poor electorate and too much spending for their welfare. They will not want Thaksin on home soil not the mass of the population. 

Thais are still steeped in tradition and patronage culture. The have yet to reach the stage whereby they trust young and inexperience person like Paetongtarn to be the next PM. Personally I like her to gain more experience in governance and not bank on nostalgia. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

As you know, the protests & the 2 coups were not popular uprising. Wikileaks revealed that the major forces behind the coups were anti-democratic groups in the military and civilian elites, disgruntled business leaders, neo-liberal intellectuals and politicians. What these groups have in common was contempt and prejudice against the poor. They are afraid of giving too much democracy and too much power to the poor electorate and too much spending for their welfare. They will not want Thaksin on home soil not the mass of the population. 

Thais are still steeped in tradition and patronage culture. The have yet to reach the stage whereby they trust young and inexperience person like Paetongtarn to be the next PM. Personally I like her to gain more experience in governance and not bank on nostalgia. 

After all is said and done, the bottom line of historic precedent suggest that any such opposition that deems to be a real threat to the traditional ruling circles will never see the day of light. 

This dreamy play that offers hope of change is purely part and parcel of the entrenched sleight-of-hand theatre of trickery and misdirection that they prefer to present. 

For any paradigm to be shifted, the dragon [and associated] requires slaying - little to do with the invented surface politics. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

After all is said and done, the bottom line of historic precedent suggest that any such opposition that deems to be a real threat to the traditional ruling circles will never see the day of light. 

This dreamy play that offers hope of change is purely part and parcel of the entrenched sleight-of-hand theatre of trickery and misdirection that they prefer to present. 

For any paradigm to be shifted, the dragon [and associated] requires slaying - little to do with the invented surface politics. 

Really can't argue with your assumption considering that Thailand experienced 13 successful coups and 20 constitutions changes since 1932. The paradigm has shifted with regime change and attempts to keep the military elites away from mounting future coups. It will be left to be seen whether Thailand slow march to democracy can be accomplished. Others countries in the region were successful in breaking the cycle of coups; so I will remain hopeful. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1