Tyre Nichols: Five Memphis police officers charged over death

Scott

53 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Mr Sharpton is accusing the Police officers of being racists , saying they wouldn't have done what they did had the person been White 

Mr Sharpton also said he believes the outcome would have been different if the alleged victim in the incident was white.

"I do not believe these five black police officers would have done this had he been a young white man," he said.

Read the OP several times and at no point does he accuse the officers involved of being racists. 

This story has a lot to unpack.  I think many think that most police violence is racial in nature -- at least that's what seems to make national news.  This would seem to negate that idea.  Is there a systemic problem with police violence?  Do we need to look at police training in general?  Is there a culture of violence in the police in general?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The aftermath of violence which follows these police related incidents is related.

Well then perhaps the police need to be a bit more careful as 90% of them are bottom line imo folks especially people of color aren’t going to put up with the brutality anymore 

9 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Read the OP several times and at no point does he accuse the officers involved of being racists. 

Leave it to credible source CNN

"Opinion: The police who killed Tyre Nichols were Black. But they might still have been driven by racism"

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opinions/tyre-nichols-memphis-police-department-jones/index.html

The article makes literally no sense whatsoever, but clearly they wanted to blame this on racism and moved mountains to do so. Never let facts get in the way of a beneficial political narrative.

Edited by SunnyinBangrak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

"Opinion: The police who killed Tyre Nichols were Black. But they might still have been driven by racism"

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opinions/tyre-nichols-memphis-police-department-jones/index.html

The article makes literally no sense whatsoever, but clearly they wanted to blame this on racism and moved mountains to do so. Never let facts get in the way of a beneficial political narrative.

I'm not sure why it didn't make sense to you. I dislike a lot of white people and like a lot of black people despite being white. The article basically referred to stereotyping and suggested that nobody is immune to that. The article is nuanced and will be based on accepted psychology. CNN did print a disclaimer that they don't endorse the opinions of the writer yet you still took the opportunity to bash them. Predictable really.

• Like 1

Just now, SunnyinBangrak said:

" I dislike a lot of white people and like a lot of black people despite being white."

This highlights the absurdity of looking at everything and judging everything through a racial lens which I believe has been the MO since Trump, and culminating in CRT which blames people of color's failings in life not due to their own actions but because white man. It is very dangerous and will not end well. America had it right many decades ago

""I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."MLK

Shame on CNN and any other MSM that try making this crime about race. Pure grift.

CNN didn't make it about anything, was that not clear to you?

For mine, race doesn't enter into it. I judge people on their individual character, not their race. It's why I push back so hard on those who are evidently racist as too many on this forum are.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Don't try and turn it around. You are the one referring to people's skin colour when describing people you like and dislike. Disgusting. 

I said I dislike some and like others irrespective of their skin colour. You are deliberately twisting my words. Stop trolling. You are disgusting.

I suggested that I didn't like a lot of white people despite being white. There is no way to misconstrue that as racist. I used it as analogy to explain why some black people may hate other black people.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The idea these days is to not see a persons colour , just see them as being people , rather than a Black person or a White person .

It doesn't matter what colour you are or what colour the other person is , you are both just people .

Saying you like Black people is claiming that they are somehow different to White people , whereas infact Black people and White people are the same 

Tell that to every media outlet that reported it

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Tell that to every media outlet that reported it

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

I saw some of the video.  The guy was 29 y.o. and 140 pounds.  Why did these five cops have such a hard time overpowering him?  At one point one of them keeps saying "give me your arm!"  Cops only say that once, then they take it forcefully.  I'm suspecting some kind of macho game was in play.

I've seen pairs of cops do a more effective job than these five.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve seen the video it’s horrific I wish I could unsee it no excuses none whatsoever god that’s bad to protect and serve ehhh that guy posed no threat none nada zip zilch he dident even get out of line just horrible those perps should never ever see the light of day ever

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I saw some of the video.  The guy was 29 y.o. and 140 pounds.  Why did these five cops have such a hard time overpowering him?  At one point one of them keeps saying "give me your arm!"  Cops only say that once, then they take it forcefully.  I'm suspecting some kind of macho game was in play.

Not seen it yet but those officers deserve all they having coming

6 hours ago, Tug said:

I’ve seen the video it’s horrific I wish I could unsee it no excuses none whatsoever god that’s bad to protect and serve ehhh that guy posed no threat none nada zip zilch he dident even get out of line just horrible those perps should never ever see the light of day ever

Protests now underway. As the family requested lets hope they remain peaceful. Just saw the vid. Agree with you.

4 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

The article makes perfect sense. 

Also it does not call the officers involved racists. 

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

"Give me your arm" is one of the things cops say when they know they are being recorded. It is a pre-defense strategy to excuse their behavior. Same way they continuously shout "stop resisting" when arresting people who are being compliant or say "he made a furtive move to his waistband" to justify shooting an unarmed person. 

When there are too many cops shouting conflicting and confusing orders it is a recipe for disaster. Nothing the arrestee can do will prevent some form of retaliation. Like getting told "dont move" and "put your hands up" by different officers at the same time. They need to be trained that, in situations where multiple officers respond, ONE officer is designated at the "caller" and the others enforce the call. But instead all too often every cop at the scene feels the need to chime in and start shouting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://abcnews.go.com/US/scorpion-unit-memphis-police-task-force-center-tyre/story?id=96720313

Two months into SCORPION's deployment, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland touted the unit's effectiveness. In his state of the city speech, Strickland claimed the unit was responsible for 566 arrests, 390 of them felony arrests, seized $103,000 in cash, 270 vehicles and 253 weapons between October 2021 and Jan. 23, 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1