Pattaya operating at near full capacity

webfact

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Prices for many things in Pattaya are significantly higher now than they were 9 months ago when I came back. Show me a restaurant that doesn't have stickers over the old prices on menus.

Prices everywhere in the world are higher than they were 9 months ago. It's called inflation. Don't try to blame it on Thailand. Actually, just having come from the west, I have noticed that the increases here are much smaller than the increases there. The worst may be to come. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think that other places like  Chumphon  are also still suffering. 

Places like Pattaya, Hua Hin, Cha Am etc. are close in distance to Bangkok,

so locals and tourists either go there or to Chiang Mai and other popular

cities that are well known.  TAT must be happier than they were last year.

Rubbish report, except on holiday weekends, Pattaya is nowhere near as busy as it was pre covid,  Yesterday, T21 looked virtually deserted.  Big C last weekend busy but not as before, traffic moving and not too many vehicles. I have no idea where they get these idiotic notions. I cant speak for nighttime as I'm never there at night. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone in Pattaya can thank TAT and the Chinese leader for opening up China to travel at precisely the time when their Covid outbreak was at its peak there. Then Tat and the Thai governments approval to allow anyone back into this country. I foresee some terrible Covid situation arising again in Pattaya soon. Let's hope I am wrong. 

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Lots of traffic though. I miss the "covid days" when the streets and intersections had a quarter of the traffic they do now.

Yeah a lot busier now than a few months ago. The road works on second rd don't help either. I try not to drive down there anymore.

The Pattaya tourist association wants  to promote Pattaya as a safe and attractive destination for tourists,   i dont know any where  that's  attractive in Pattaya,  as for  safety,  until they fix broken  footpaths,  dangerous driving, loose electrical cables  everywhere,   pedestrian crossings  that are safe to walk, across etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Thai logic:

More tourists = Must raise prices as there is so much demand.

Less tourists = Must raise prices to make more profit from less sales to make up the difference.

That's the very popular thinking among many Farangs, but I've usually found that the Farang owned businesses are far more greedy than the Thai owned.  

Thai's can live a lot cheaper than most Farangs, so the Farangs need more money to support their lifestyle, hence the higher prices.

• Haha 1

saw a guy in a store where ONLY he wasn't wearing a mask, swearing to his Thai gf about the products sold....

near full capacity of bad farangs?  impossible, always more coming.

it's much better when they complain in a language I can't understand, but in English you can hear it a km away.

That's when I knew things are getting back to normal.

47 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Think you have omitted "Recorded" incidences.

No, the incidence of infection can be deduced from the hospitalisation rates. Please keep your anti Thai bashing down to a dull roar. We are getting sick of it.

The reality is that Thailand had strong lock downs, travel restrictions and high social compliance with social distancing and mask wearing back in the early days when they were more effective against the deadlier but less infectious variants which were prevalent at that time.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Prices for many things in Pattaya are significantly higher now than they were 9 months ago when I came back. Show me a restaurant that doesn't have stickers over the old prices on menus.

Well prices do increase. So has the cost of living. Why post rubbish

3 minutes ago, PB172111 said:

Well prices do increase. So has the cost of living. Why post rubbish

Do you live here? Thailand has long had very low inflation. The point is that is now changing and not just from imported goods as one would naturally anticipate. Local restaurant prices have increased by about 30 to 50% since I came 9 months ago. Just an anecdote based on my personal experience. It was not always ever thus as you imply. It's noteworthy because prices here were very stable for many years.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

Give it 2 months and then lets look at it once the 'high season' is over.

It will be a sorry tale of woe again.

Before we take too much comfort in the idea, we should note that we've always had threads with sorry tales of woe from ANF (TVF) posters for the last twenty years. Used be only during low season, but was then extended to high season as well, two annual DEATH threads. COVID led to many a delighted orgy with countless dire prophecies that it was FINALLY the LAST last nail in the coffin.

However, pre-COVID, the low seasons weren't as low as they used to be, thanks to more domestic and Asian tourism. Our Economists only survey tin-roofed beer bar owners, however, to represent the entire economy of Pattaya.  And they've always been notorious poor mouths anyway.

6 hours ago, kinyara said:

Current reality is certainly a lot better than many on this board predicted pre high season. All the talk of how Pattaya wasn't going to recover centred on the high cost of airfares and cost of living increases that were already in play. The absence of the major tourist markets Russia and China was another common reason cited. 

As it turns out none of those doomsday scenarios seems to have caused a noticeable effect on the recovery, the high level of Russian visitors now seems to be more of a concern than their predicted absence and no doubt the same will be true of the Chinese market in the coming months. 

What you describe is TAT's way of tourism.  That is, just go for quantity, not quality.  Yes, it's busy here now, but are the tourists spending in businesses that cater for tourists?  

The big numbers do not necessarily mean big baht.  This goes back to the "zero baht Chinese" debate, and for yet another thread on the issue. 

At best, there are harsh economic times ahead for many of Thailand's traditional western market countries, and at worse, a global recession late 2023 or early 2024.  This is not a prediction of mine, it has been in the media with many economists around the world predicting it, and I tend to agree with them that economic factor are pointing in that direction. 

You don't see these impending global economic conditions as having any effect on tourism in Thailand at all? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andycoops said:

There are many bars and restaurants without anywhere near full occupancy in the main eating and drinking evening hours.

And there always have been. Pattaya used to have far fewer bars and restos. But when there are many more of them, then even with the same number of tourists our ace Economists intone the long-prophesied Death of Pattaya.

7 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Tour groups, especially chinese ones don't spend money eating and drinking as their meals are pre paid in China, as well as their visits to attractions.

One of our beloved forum myths. Russians and Chinese, even Indians, spend a lot. Those whose livelihoods depend on them know this quite well, unlike our bigoted keyboard warriors.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Yesterday, T21 looked virtually deserted.  Big C last weekend busy but not as before, traffic moving and not too many vehicles. I have no idea where they get these idiotic notions.

I found business quite good yesterday evening at T21. But our Economists have always found malls deserted throughout Thailand and so have pronounced them just money-laundering operations. I have no idea where they get these idiotic notions.

5 hours ago, skorp13 said:

Nobody said Pattaya is back to pre-COVID levels, usual straw man argument. Reminiscent of the constant finger-wagging that domestic tourists would totally compensate for the lack of international tourists. Nobody ever said that, just hot air.

9 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Pattaya is crowded right now and the Chinese tour groups are just getting started. More Russians are also likely to arrive. Anyone thinking it's going to drop off are probably delusional.

What about "the spend" though?