Pattaya operating at near full capacity

webfact

12 hours ago, newnative said:

Someone 'on the ground'  making the observation that he has only seen Chinese shop at 7-11s and, therefore, Chinese tourists only benefit 7-11s, really is useless observation.  Give me actual stats. 

Quite. Following New Year I went to Laem Sing, about 9 months since the last time I went, in that time they have built a new 7-11 next to the old one with a new Lotus and CJ? close by. Now 5 convenience stores in the space of 100 yards with accommodation having increased substantially in the last few years.

A small village growing quite rapidly and hardly a foreigner in sight. Day I went it was mobbed and I only saw 2 caucasians.

The new normal could well be in domestic and asian tourism growth outside the so called "tourist" areas. Those that live in those areas are oblivious to the bigger picture, if their bar is quiet then everywhere must be quiet and the figures are false.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 6:06 AM, ozimoron said:

Prices for many things in Pattaya are significantly higher now than they were 9 months ago when I came back. Show me a restaurant that doesn't have stickers over the old prices on menus.

Prices for many things in the UK, Japan and Botswana are "significantly higher now than they were 9 months ago."

Your airfare when you "came back" included.

Sheesh...

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:09 AM, Leaver said:

Not changing the subject. 

Many businesses were not doing well here, pre covid. 

There has been a post covid revival, but as time passes, things will revert to 2019 numbers and spend, impending global recession aside.  

Pattaya's problems for businesses hasn't disappeared.  

You were correct in one observation that tourism in Pattaya had been declining gradually prior to 2019,  such that high season 2018 was not as busy as 2017,  and 2017 was not as busy as 2016 ........

In 2020/2021    Your predictions were very, very wrong though.   Times and again during Covid period, you predicted tourists would  ditch and avoid Thailand and headed to other destination such as Vietnam etc. after Covid.    You predicted Thai tourism would not be able to  recover after Covid.   (   Need us to dig out your hundred postings on pessimistic view in 2020/2021  to refresh your memory ?  )

From below 5%  capacity during Covid time  to the current 60-80% capacity in Pattaya,  I am of course cheering and happy for the Thai locals.  

1 hour ago, sscc said:

You were correct in one observation that tourism in Pattaya had been declining gradually prior to 2019,  such that high season 2018 was not as busy as 2017,  and 2017 was not as busy as 2016 ........

In 2020/2021    Your predictions were very, very wrong though.   Times and again during Covid period, you predicted tourists would  ditch and avoid Thailand and headed to other destination such as Vietnam etc. after Covid.    You predicted Thai tourism would not be able to  recover after Covid.   (   Need us to dig out your hundred postings on pessimistic view in 2020/2021  to refresh your memory ?  )

From below 5%  capacity during Covid time  to the current 60-80% capacity in Pattaya,  I am of course cheering and happy for the Thai locals.  

Any actual statistics (not an 'observation') showing Pattaya's tourism was 'declining gradually prior to 2019'?  I ask because I question that was the case, as Thailand's international tourism was showing a steady rise each year except for 2014, the year of the coup, when it declined slightly.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:51 PM, Skallywag said:

According to BKK post, February 6th is when the first Chinese tour groups are coming.  Likely those hotels are getting ready. 

Have you not seen any activity at the closed hotels near you that cater to the tour groups?

No. The big one behind me has no sign of opening anytime soon. There is only one i know in the area opening and catering to them which is at the corner of soi aksorn and soi kor pai but very little activity as of yet

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 7:05 AM, skorp13 said:

No. The big one behind me has no sign of opening anytime soon. There is only one i know in the area opening and catering to them which is at the corner of soi aksorn and soi kor pai but very little activity as of yet

The hotel must not have got the memo that Pattaya is now operating at capacity?  :smile:

On 1/27/2023 at 3:36 PM, ukrules said:

Give it 2 months and then lets look at it once the 'high season' is over.

During off high season, tourists numbers go down. The full pictures will be known in 2024 when the total tourism revenues will be published for 2023.

Edited by Xanthe

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Oh, that's right, you only visit bars for your take on whether Pattaya is 'thriving'. 

I can have input here after a night out!

Walking Street packed and up-market GGBs there really packing them in and making money hand over fist. Quite busy away from there too with a lot of tourists enjoying live music venues. GGBs in LK Metro .... just one special place very busy, the rest near empty... beer bars doing okay!

After all.... that is what Pattaya is all about!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I can have input here after a night out!

Walking Street packed and up-market GGBs there really packing them in and making money hand over fist. Quite busy away from there too with a lot of tourists enjoying live music venues. GGBs in LK Metro .... just one special place very busy, the rest near empty... beer bars doing okay!

After all.... that is what Pattaya is all about!

Good to know.  Leaver says there's 'no one'.

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

You don't need to have a realtor license to do what you are doing, which is same same. 

Geez, AirBnb and Uber / Bolt have turned everyone into an unlicensed hotel and taxi driver. 

You are buying and selling properties.  You are your own realtor.  I don't care about the work permit issues, it's the conflict of interests in your posts that you continue to deny that is laughable.

You said you sold a house and a condo last year. Did you live in both, AT THE SAME TIME?  :cheesy:

It's less busy now, and understandably so, because peak season is over.  Given global economic conditions, and the fact the world is facing a global recession, as I have said before, 2023 will pose great challenges to businesses here. 

Of course, you see a bar selling 65 baht beers is busy, and post on this forum how much Pattaya is thriving.  

More Leaver Loop.  To answer your question, yes.  Same as now--Pattaya house and Bangkok condo.  Some people have getaway places--one reason Pattaya is so busy on weekends with Bangkok people--all discussed in earlier posts.  See posts on Lumpini Park Beach Jomtien and the other projects built by Bangkok developers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newnative said:

More Leaver Loop

More newative real estate marketing.

14 hours ago, newnative said:

To answer your question, yes.  Same as now--Pattaya house and Bangkok condo. 

Why sell, if property is such a great investment here? :smile:

7 hours ago, skorp13 said:

I hope not, it has been so nice and quiet here especially compared to what it was ????

Sure, but if it continues to go down the path of being quiet, the next thing you know, you will not be able to enjoy all the things that expats enjoy that are currently available here. 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:29 PM, Leaver said:

Sure, but if it continues to go down the path of being quiet, the next thing you know, you will not be able to enjoy all the things that expats enjoy that are currently available here. 

Don't see what our ex-pat life has to do with Chinese tourists staying behind me. They don't spend money where we hang out