Thailand's police caught with their pants down in extortion case of Taiwanese actress and friends - Chuwit revelations latest

webfact

This type of extortion happens a lot, but I am surprised at the amount. If you are in a car with your wife and friends and get stopped, they only extort from the driver, not everyone in the car.

Also, I understand that being drunk as a passenger is not against the law. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusb said:

What I find funny is the split. 

27,000 divided by 5-7 cops, plus a big tip for taxi driver.  They temporarily messed up their lives and careers for what,  4000 baht each?  What a joke. 

Greed has no boundaries. 

• Like 2

Ok, the law relating to vaping is the biggest dumbest aXX there ever was imo, but the real problem is sheer greed. If the sum involved had been 1000 baht- there wouldn't have been such an outcry, possibly none whatsoever.  The law is the law, but punishments have to be proportionate to the severity of the crime.

I for one would rather pay 1000 baht than go through the courts, but that is now the only route.  Prepare for some big headlines in the future.  Make sure it's not you making them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heng said:

It's surprising Chuwit is still around, considering the local cost of life here.   But yeah, well done brother.

They've tried to kill him a few times.

Remember the grenade being chucked into the reception of his hotel on Soi 24 many years ago as a warning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

This extortion news have gone regional and hurt Thailand tourism image. Still a chance for the authority to turn this around and use this news to their betterment. The corrupt cops must be severely dealt with the full extent of the law. No sacking or transfer but indict them and jail them. Imprisonment for extortion is between 5 to 10 years and fine. Make an example of these crooked cops as a deterrent to other cops and some closure to this bad image. Well at least until the next corruption very soon. 

You’re dead right but, unfortunately, it’s never gonna happen…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

Oh! The face (or loss of)! Loong Tu's war on corruption is in tatters!

Not really, nobody ever believed that would happen. The low police pay reflects the fact that police corruption is expected and condoned, it saves the state a lot of money, intelligent policemen with decent training and good pay would be expensive and a danger to the corrupt practices of the high-so's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

It's a pretty black and white issue and the solution is obvious (if the government is serious about stopping corruption).

The Thai press continues to demand action to curb endemic police corruption. The solution is obvious. Endemic and systematic corruption always starts at the top. The top cops are the ones who set the tone and example for the entire police force. They are either on the take or incapable of addressing corruption.

Either way, they are responsible, they are to blame and the finger should be pointed at them. Dismiss them and replace with honest cops (if such a thing exists in Thailand). If the government won't do this then they must be part of the problem.

The Hong Kong Police dealt with the problem in the late 1970s with major reforms and restructuring and a higher wage. Public confidence was restored for many.

Of course it started to go downhill again after 1997........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marcusb said:

What I find funny is the split. 

27,000 divided by 5-7 cops, plus a big tip for taxi driver.  They temporarily messed up their lives and careers for what,  4000 baht each?  What a joke. 

It was an every day action and they thought it was safe as always since nothing ever happened to them...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Sky said he needed time to think about that citing danger to himself.

Chuwit said not to worry, his help was needed in a case that has thoroughly damaged the country and its tourism.

To ensure nothing bad happens to Mr. Sky, a conference all testimony should definitely be possible to arrange...

How exactly will they stop this?  It’s in their blood.  It’s part of the culture.  It’s like trying to take rice out of their diet, no one will know how to live.  Every single higher up has done this or seen this happen, they know how it works, it’s a requirement to get the job in the first place.  Everyone has to get their hands dirty to gain trust and get promoted.  What normal countries require you to pay millions of baht to get the top police job in provinces?  This is next level corruption, where will they even start?

• Like 2

(1/2) Taiwanese actress Charlene An posted on Instagram Tues thanking the BBC, Taiwanese media & some Thais after Thai police capitulated & admitted seven of their officers were involved in extorting her on Jan 4 in Bangkok. #Thailand #Taiwan

(2/2) "Grateful for the many Thai friendships made. U have taught me that many friendship knows no language barriers," An wrote in English & Chinese. "#Thailand, your culture, people, food, will always be special to me. I look forward to a better experience in my future visits."

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1620300999792676870

Edited by anchadian
  • Love It 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Chuwit said this case was a "lesson for Thailand" and that the met chief, RTP chief and Thai PM should reimburse Mr Sky personally for the extortion

All three should step down for failing their country.

It has been long know most of the RTP are a law unto themselves.

Now publicly shamed for extortion the heads must roll, and I mean the 3-heads..

• Like 1