UK economy only G7 nation to shrink in 2023 - IMF

Scott

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Yep, one of the reasons I bailed, the weather.....:cowboy:

Sadly I wasn’t talking about the weather, yesterday we were treated to bright sunshine and clean, crystal clear air.

But even that cannot brighten the economic gloom of this once thriving economy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

You said " I'm in the UK, it's already bleak". A good example of your blanket generalisations of doom and gloom.

To be accurate you should explain and say something like " my local high street looks bleak. Lots of changes since last time I saw it".

“To be accurate you should explain and say something like " my local high street looks bleak. Lots of changes since last time I saw it".

You mean like these examples I gave:

Shops that were thriving five years ago, struggling six months ago, closed since the summer.  There is no longer a shoe shop in town, the nearest is 20 miles away.”

The closure during the last year of local businesses that have been trading for decades.”

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Indeed.

However, those examples were in reply to me asking how you deciphered the UK was bleak. Your examples show one town. 

Please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you post this?:

“To be accurate you should explain and say something like " my local high street looks bleak. Lots of changes since last time I saw it".

You’ve asked for local observation and then object to local observations. 

Which brings me back to precisely why verifiable data is so much more informative.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Maybe change location. 

The area where I stayed with my family was doing fine. Everywhere was packed. A couple of high street shops had closed due to Covid but apart from that most places were very busy, plenty of money being spent, new cars on the roads etc. It's a bit like hanging around in Khlong Toei and then declaring that Bangkok is a slum and everyone lives in shacks.

Personal experience differ, which is again why verifiable data matters.

• Like 2

Yes the Tory Muppets have well and truly sent the UK down the armitage shanks.

First Brexit, then the recent revolving door of PMs put there by less than 200 thousand citizens .

Which of course resulted in 33 billion going south in just a week because of Blundertruss and Quarsi, my spelling.

And all of a sudden there's no money for nurses etc but they will of course all get their indexed linked pensions.

Corrupt politicians everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Indeed IMF has a poor record - and was previously headed up by the criminal Christine Lagarde! It’s acronym attracted the banner "Institute for  Moronic Forecasting " ???? 

IMF has indeed a poor record in forecasting. Only 6.1% of forecast was within a 0.1% point margin of error. Rest either under or over estimate. But calling Christine Lagarde a criminal is harsh. What did she do to deserve your harsh rebuke.

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Indeed IMF has a poor record - and was previously headed up by the criminal Christine Lagarde! It’s acronym attracted the banner "Institute for  Moronic Forecasting " ???? 

B.S! They have always employed the best economists in their research department, including a few Nobel prizes! ????