UK economy only G7 nation to shrink in 2023 - IMF

Scott

9 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the uk has  replied is a crock of a ***** report

Of course they have. Convincing people that black is white has been the only thing the conservatives have been historically good at.

Luckily there's less and less people now prepared to believe the government 's lies. Even the tories can't convince people that everything is fine when said people can't even afford to feed and clothe themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somebody tried to say that the FTSIE 500 had actually improved since Brexit.

They overlooked that this index includes businesses around the world.

If you look at the UK domestic FTSIE 250 it has dropped between 25 and 30 %.

This clearly shows that the rich financial fat cats are making a killing out of Brexit, whereas local and smaller businesses  are losing out big time

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Somebody tried to say that the FTSIE 500 had actually improved since Brexit.

They overlooked that this index includes businesses around the world.

If you look at the UK domestic FTSIE 250 it has dropped between 25 and 30 %.

This clearly shows that the rich financial fat cats are making a killing out of Brexit, whereas local and smaller businesses  are losing out big time

Correct, UK business are struggling:

57% of UK’s small businesses at risk of closure in 2023.

Not a sunlit upland in sight.

https://www.businessleader.co.uk/57-of-uks-small-businesses-at-risk-of-closure-in-2023/

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I wonder how it would have been if Labour got the chance.............????

We will never know.

Corbyn's Brexit policy was all over the place. Starmer only ever criticised Covid policies after the event without offering his own ideas and now he and his front bench spend most of their resources going over and over events after they've been done and dusted. 

Some elections coming up in May. Labour might, only might, come up with some ideas and let people know what they are and how they'll pay for them 

I truly hope they do. Iw will be nice to weigh up their policies before I decide where to put my X.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Exactly,I think Chomper's view is very one dimensional,seeing only the aspect through the prism of the stale political left wing narrative     he is obsessed with .

So you don't have any arguments to contradict so decided to play the man.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:20 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

Which is why verifiable data is so much more informative.

Verifiable data, or guesswork? As others have said, these are purely forecasts by a body with a questionable past (Legarde etc) and a pretty awful record. 

IMF shows poor track record at forecasting recessions

However, a closer look at its record on reading the future suggests it is unlikely they will accurately predict even how many economies will expand or contract this year. 

“All macroeconomic forecasters are poor at predicting downturns,” David Turner, head of the economics department at the OECD told the FT. 

https://www.ft.com/content/60581224-3335-11e8-b5bf-23cb17fd1498

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Verifiable data, or guesswork? As others have said, these are purely forecasts by a body with a questionable past (Legarde etc) and a pretty awful record. 

IMF shows poor track record at forecasting recessions

However, a closer look at its record on reading the future suggests it is unlikely they will accurately predict even how many economies will expand or contract this year. 

“All macroeconomic forecasters are poor at predicting downturns,” David Turner, head of the economics department at the OECD told the FT. 

https://www.ft.com/content/60581224-3335-11e8-b5bf-23cb17fd1498

Obviously you have not read or understood the article. Actually, it even in the title: recessions.

An article under paywall, but based on this paper which can be downloaded freely. Interestingly enough, it is an IMF research paper.

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WP/Issues/2018/03/05/How-Well-Do-Economists-Forecast-Recessions-45672

Yes, economists are poor at predicting recessions (or downturns), that is periods of significant change, and usually tended to be too optimistic. As shown in the paper, the IMF record is not worse than others, such as Consensus.

The paper doesn't conclude they are poor at predicting anything (under the limit of the exercise, which is an attached probability). Only significant recessions.

In the case of the 2023 report, It's not about predicting a recession, as It's a short-term forecast under conditions which are not expected to change. So your remark is not relevant for the OP topic (unless you claim that unexpected events may even create a harsher recession).

Edited by candide
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Exactly,I think Chomper's view is very one dimensional,seeing only the aspect through the prism of the stale political left wing narrative     he is obsessed with .

Baiting again.

I believe a reminder of the topic of discussion has been give, I’m not it.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Because you have failed to see/understand the argument running through the thread it is rather the shortcoming in your comment,not mine. 

You're right, I don't see the argument because there is no valid one.

• Like 1