Shredding Data Storage Devices before final disposal

moogradod

I have several devices on which data is stored which I want to get rid of but which I do not want to discard just like that. The devices (such as old harddisks, old iPADs can only be accessed with difficulty - otherwise I could securely destroy the data and throw away the device with erased data). But I do not have any means to access the storage - a good example is a broken iPAD of which the display is destroyed, nevertheless the data is still on the device.

Of course - if I cannot retrieve the data then others might have the same difficulty, but nevertheless I ask if someone knows a company that is shredding all kinds of material. I remember the company I worked for some years ago would not have discarded any storage without shredding it first physically regardless of their capability to use secure data erasing algorithms, but this was in Europe - and of course this data has been of much more importance than my stuff.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Use a hammer.

I agree, destroy it physically yourself to ensure data doesn't get in the wrong hands. I have successfully destroyed numerous HDDs using the 'ye ole hammer' method.

Reminds me of two stories:

One where the Chinese were buying up old copying machines by the boatload. Seems that many of those copiers had some amount of memory which stored the document information that was scanned for copying. Little did anyone think about removing the data stored before selling them.

Then there's the story where one of the early bitcoin investors had forgotten he put his 'wallet' information on a HDD he replaced in his PC and sent that HDD to the dump. If memory serves me correct bitcoin was worth very little (around 1 USD) when he originally setup his wallet on that HDD but after he tossed it in the trash bitcoin started to ascend into hundreds/thousands of dollars. I think it tossed out a few million dollars and tried searching the landfill to no avail.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JayClay said:

I think he means access to the data, not the devices themselves 

Exactly. This is what I meant. You will encounter this problem for example with an iPAD whose display is no more working. You cannot easily open the thing either to determine where user data could eventually be stored so best is to destroy it physically. Similar for some HD I want to dispose of. I could theoretically connect those disks to a still working PC and then apply secure mechanisms to destroy the data. Simply "deleting" is not enough but I would prefer to shred all in small metal praticles.

I tried a hammer already. Seems that these disks are more sturdy than you might think. But drilling multiple holes through the device should do the job.

Thanks for all the tips.

Use to do MoD HardDisc destruction in the early 80's, back when discs were larger than the size of curling stones. 3 key requirements, a sledge hammer and a camera to record the activity, plus a heavy duty magnet to pass over the shattered platters to ensure maximum de-gaussing. 

On the other hand, if you can extract the HDA, then recommend Active@Kill Disc. 

21 hours ago, RayWright said:

Use to do MoD HardDisc destruction in the early 80's, back when discs were larger than the size of curling stones. 3 key requirements, a sledge hammer and a camera to record the activity, plus a heavy duty magnet to pass over the shattered platters to ensure maximum de-gaussing. 

On the other hand, if you can extract the HDA, then recommend Active@Kill Disc. 

Agree Active@Kill Disc works. And Bleachbit.

Seemed good 'nuff for Hilliary Clinton, they never got any data from those discs.

Bet of Luck

- howto