Breaking: Missing radioactive capsule found in Australian Outback!

Social Media

2 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/01/australia/australia-radioactive-capsule-found-intl-hnk/index.html

Search teams found the missing capsule not far from the Rio Tinto mine, suggesting it fell off the truck soon after departure.

It was 2 metres from the road just south of Newman about 120 kms from the mine.

Authorities set up an exclusion zone around the area the capsule, inset, was found.

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't understand how this happened. 

Why would there be a tiny radio active capsule unsecured on the back of a huge truck in the first place?

Surely it would have been incase in big container?   

Where were they taking it and why?  

image.png.9b9c2afd26a37f095f6618fcb52ca948.png   we'll never understand    !

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Either someone is telling porkies or the transportation company were incredibly incompetent.

While I have no proof, I suspect someone took it, got scared at the reaction and dropped it where it would be found.

If your hypothesis is the case, then all the authorities need to do is wait and see if someone shows up at a hospital with radiation burns or poisoning!   

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/emergencies/isotopes/cesium.htm#:~:text=External exposure to large amounts of Cs-137 can,cancer because of exposure to high-energy gamma radiation.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:47 PM, radiochaser said:

If your hypothesis is the case, then all the authorities need to do is wait and see if someone shows up at a hospital with radiation burns or poisoning!   

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/emergencies/isotopes/cesium.htm#:~:text=External exposure to large amounts of Cs-137 can,cancer because of exposure to high-energy gamma radiation.

Not if they knew how to handle it safely. However, if some idiot did so on the spur of the moment, perhaps.

I'm going to be really interested to know how it supposedly fell off a truck, given the regulations for radioactive devices. The devices I am familiar with were much less radioactive than the ones in the OP and had to be stored in a sizable lead container.

I can see the item falling off a truck due to incompetence, but surely it had to be in a lead container, so why was it not in one?

BTW, if it was stored in a lead container it would not have been found by the radiation.