British family's heartbreaking ordeal after loved one died in Thailand bike accident - and the journey to bring him home

webfact

I wonder if the bike was his or was it rented? Ide assume it was rented, so who ever he rented the bike from would have his details etc, if say he borrowed the bike from a friend they would also know, or was it his own bike? Was it registered in his name etc? I've been doing exactly the same as this poor chap, but I always keep my bike licence, insurance etc on me at all times just in case of an accident or being stopped by the police etc, its sad what has happened & more so when the family is left in limbo......

Just a thought, he may have just popped out to get some cigarettes etc & forgot to take any i.d etc.......

Edited by baz69er
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

From the article - The stranger managed to get hold of Tony’s phone and put the sim card into his phone, where there was only one number saved – a friend of Tony’s in London, who he called.

Only one number saved.  Haha.  This guy was up to something 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

The stranger who was visiting a friend found out about the John Doe, and decided to help, well, how did he know who he was?

Easy the story he got the phone " SIM card put it in his phone ran through the contacts one name or number stood out he called it thereafter the picture became clear "

A tragic motorbike accident like so many in Thailand. From the original article:

"The family have also set up a GoFundMe Page to get some help with the costs of the funeral to give their loved one the send off he deserves, and the generosity of others has seen the fundraiser reach £2,450."

Is this the new style to beg for money in such cases? I see this more and more often. Are other people behind this or only the family? 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Let me be callously logical here, how are they suffering? What difference would it have made if they had known from day one when he had died? People die all the time, 61 was a bit early but he was having a good time, millions die due to really tragic circumstances, starvation as a child, torture, war, hypothermia, poverty in general. Why must Granddad be brought back home? He's dead, he doesn't care where he is; just to put his urn containing his ashes on the shelf and then life goes on. Storm in a tea cup.

You're not being calloused you're being pragmatic.  

I agree, it's pretty bad to get desperately old and need care.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

Obviously this gentleman's insurance was not valid or he wasn't driving with a license and they aren't paying.  They have a gofundme page all set up and raring to go.  Insurance should pay for repatriation of remains, but I could be wrong.  

Very tragic for the family that's for sure.  

If I ever died overseas, burn my body huck my ashes there and don't worry LOL.  

The policies are all a little different... repatriation of remains is certainly not always included. Insurance companies are very adept at avoiding paying out. People are also reticent to spend on insurance.... 

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Don't forget your wallet when you go out .............!

Especially if you think you might be killed, Lord Rest Him.

Obviously the finger printing that now happens on arrival is only  used for criminals or overstayers...not for identification of deceased foreign nationals. 

2 minutes ago, damo1967 said:

I just knew this article was going to end with mention of a 'GoFundMe'.. pfft..  Why the need for this GoFundMe?  Let his 'insurance' cover all the repatriation & funeral costs etc.  Why should innocent people continually get asked to donate to these such causes?

Grandpa surely:-

1. would have taken out adequate insurance before going to Thailand to cover his unfortunate death,

2. would have had a legal proper motorbike licence to be able to ride in Thailand, and

3. would not have gotten on his bike if he had been drinking.

If 'yes' to all the above 3, then there is no need for a GoFundMe.  (GoFundMe's were not designed for people to donate for 'idiots' who did not take out proper insurance etc, and to do stupid things in Thailand)

If 'no' to even one of the above 3, then Grandpa made his bed, so let him lay in it now.

I will be donating 'zero', 'zilch', 'not a damn penny' for Grandpa as there should not be a need to. 

Solution:- cancel the GoFundMe and burn him at one of the local temples.

I think many people have never heard of GoFundMe. Perhaps people behind this that organise all this for a commission? A kind of business? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't open the link, or read replies ... BUT, why the need to 'bring home'

Obviously he loved Thailand, so why not take a holiday, BBQ here, and leave in a local Wat that he visited or dump in sea.  I really fail to see the need to 'return home'.

I told the wife to bury my A$$ in the yard, and don't tell a soul ... keep collecting that SS as long as possble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blumpie said:

You're not being calloused you're being pragmatic.  

I agree, it's pretty bad to get desperately old and need care.  

He doesn't need care and never did. My Father-in-law (78) skin and bones, eats his breakfast then my wife and I carry him to a mat on the lawn where he falls asleep, he awakens midday to drink his quota of lau kao and eat dinner then is carried back to his mat until the evening when he is woken up to eat again before being carried to bed. My wife and MIL have to bathe him every day. He is now deaf and speaks little. We have all been expecting his death for the last 5 years but he wont go, it will be a relief for all, especially for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, damo1967 said:

Yeah your right.  Thanks for pointing it out. It's my bad. I stopped reading at the first batch of adverts as I thought I'd read all of it. So I withdraw my blessing.  Guess there just another whiny bereaved family of beggers after all. 

Edited by ignore it
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cricky said:

Only got grandaddy to blame here.

He was classed as a John Doe.

Riding his motorbike without any identification on him.

Didn't carry a driving licence in LOS???????????

Some unanswered questions about this.

I don't get the obsession with returning the remains. He's dead- burn the body and send the ashes back if wanted.

While I wanted my ashes scattered in home country, I wanted to be cremated in LOS if I was lucky enough to live there till I died.

My life insurance would have paid for someone to go over and bring them back- no need for begging on internet.

1 hour ago, riverhigh said:

Not envious in the least. Many UK expats I have known in the past have retired  too early and had to return to the UK broke and destitute. As for myself I have never really retired because of my technical skills. Can always find employment well into my seventies. Great feeling that I will never have to depend on the state for a cheque. 

I wonder what your family will put on your gravestone.

(rhetorical)

For me the disturbing part of this story is that it was a stranger who thought to check the deceased's phone for a contact. This was apparently too hard a task for the RTP or the British Embassy.

Not that what I do automatically relates to others, but I frequently go out with only cash in my pocket, no ID, cards or phone.

If I needed to carry all the extra accruements around, I would have been born female and carry a purse everywhere.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Let me be callously logical here, how are they suffering? What difference would it have made if they had known from day one when he had died? People die all the time, 61 was a bit early but he was having a good time, millions die due to really tragic circumstances, starvation as a child, torture, war, hypothermia, poverty in general. Why must Granddad be brought back home? He's dead, he doesn't care where he is; just to put his urn containing his ashes on the shelf and then life goes on. Storm in a tea cup.

Such compassion.. amazing.

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

For me the disturbing part of this story is that it was a stranger who thought to check the deceased's phone for a contact. This was apparently too hard a task for the RTP or the British Embassy.

Not that what I do automatically relates to others, but I frequently go out with only cash in my pocket, no ID, cards or phone.

If I needed to carry all the extra accruements around, I would have been born female and carry a purse everywhere.

Man bags seem to be the 'in thing' for carrying useless stuff.

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

The are some really disgusting and ill mannered people on this thread. Like vultures over the bones of a dead man. Somehow trying to prove to themselves that they are better than he ????

I know a very respectable and hard working family who gave their father/grandfather a nice new iPhone. There were only two numbers saved on it and both of the contacts were of the family abroad. The phone did not even have an Internet connection. I had to tether off another phone to make a call. 
I know this as I came upon someone suffering a mini-stroke and much more and got involved. Nothing dodgy there at all. 

Human nature. No different to passersby gathering to gawp at a road accident. No need to call down hell fire on people for acting naturally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverhigh said:
1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

"Anyways one should be asking how did Grandpa manage to get 3 months holiday every year since the age of 51. Hmmm, grandpaa may be on to something"

Should 'one' ?

As stated in the article, he arrived December due to depart 24 January, this could simply be the current 45 day visa exemption stay.

Three months - that is a standard 60 day tourist visa plus 30 day extension.

It's no mystery, so why try to fabricate some nasty suspicion? 

Please read the article first, the above statement is based on facts provided by the familey:

"The 61-year-old had spent the last ten years travelling out to Thailand during the winter months, and last year was no different."

"Tony said: ‘He goes over there in the winter for three months usually because he can’t stand the cold 

So for the last ten years he has obtained a "standard 60 day tourist visa plus 30 day extension".

What's your point?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1