British family's heartbreaking ordeal after loved one died in Thailand bike accident - and the journey to bring him home

webfact

image.jpeg
Anthony Murphy

‘IT HAS been hell, and he’s still over there.’

By Sophie Lewis

A Fareham family is heartbroken after their beloved grandfather has died in a motorbike accident in Thailand.

The Murphy family has been put through a traumatic ordeal after they have found out that Anthony Murphy, who was on holiday in Thailand, has died in a road accident – but were not told until five days after it had happened.

The 61-year-old had spent the last ten years travelling out to Thailand during the winter months, and last year was no different. He set off in December 2022 and was due to come home on January 24, 2023, but on January 10 he was involved in a motorbike accident, where he was pronounced dead at the scene.

His family, who had been trying to get in contact with him, began to grow worried and his son, Tony Murphy, 43 from Fareham, said that they would usually check when he was last active on Whatsapp, but this time, he had been inactive for days.

Tony said: ‘He goes over there in the winter for three months usually because he can’t stand the cold, that’s what he used to say.

‘We are always in contact with him and we hadn’t heard anything. We are always checking to see if he had been on Whatsapp and he hadn’t this time, and it was quite a few days, so we began worrying.’

It was not until January 15 that Tony, his brother Glen Murphy and their two sisters, Tara and Lorraine Murphy, found out that their father had dued, and it was only by chance that they were informed.

image.jpeg
Anthony Murphy with his grandchildren. Pictured: Anthony with Aaron, Ellie, Sophie and Chloe.

It is believed that a stranger, who was visiting a friend who was also involved in the accident, found out that Tony had been named a John Doe after he was found with no ID on him – and he decided to help.

Full story: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/fareham-familys-heartbreaking-ordeal-after-loved-one-died-in-thailand-bike-accident-and-the-journey-to-bring-him-home-4008124

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright The News 2023-02-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Many many folks are in construction and work long hours during the summer, and hance have the opportunity for a break from a UK winter. I also retired at 50. Your post is speculative abd full of envy. 

Not envious in the least. Many UK expats I have known in the past have retired  too early and had to return to the UK broke and destitute. As for myself I have never really retired because of my technical skills. Can always find employment well into my seventies. Great feeling that I will never have to depend on the state for a cheque. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

"Anyways one should be asking how did Grandpa manage to get 3 months holiday every year since the age of 51. Hmmm, grandpaa may be on to something"

Should 'one' ?

As stated in the article, he arrived December due to depart 24 January, this could simply be the current 45 day visa exemption stay.

Three months - that is a standard 60 day tourist visa plus 30 day extension.

It's no mystery, so why try to fabricate some nasty suspicion? 

Please read the article first, the above statement is based on facts provided by the familey:

"The 61-year-old had spent the last ten years travelling out to Thailand during the winter months, and last year was no different."

"Tony said: ‘He goes over there in the winter for three months usually because he can’t stand the cold 

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

The stranger who was visiting a friend found out about the John Doe, and decided to help, well, how did he know who he was?

From the article - The stranger managed to get hold of Tony’s phone and put the sim card into his phone, where there was only one number saved – a friend of Tony’s in London, who he called.

19 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Yes, I agree with you. This day an age almost everyone has an id, ATM, credit card, drivers license, insurance card. All with your name on it. What about where he was staying. Hotel, guest house ect. 

I leave home with just my phone and bike key often. DLT app for my drivers license,  Apple wallet with 4 credit cards and 3 bank apps for prompt pay, QR paymentor cardless cash withdrawals. 
I find carrying physical cards or cash can be problematic at times. Wallets are becoming obsolete for me 

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

Not all members, perhaps, I might add. I think it is unreasonable to mention the 'no ID' fact.

How many people do you know who go out without money on them, sometimes contained in a wallet.

The article fails to mention if he had money on his person and if you're riding an expensive machine as he was, wouldn't most people have reserve money on them?

It is reasonable to speculate whether the guy had had money on him when the accident occured.

This is a forum. Why get so 'offended' by what others write?

But help yourself if you are offended by my comments, OK

Don't forget your wallet when you go out .............!

There's always one goody two shoes/teachers pet type on every forum. I think they actually get off on being holier than thou.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Nowhere does it mention the type of bike. 

Could it be you are confusing this British guy with the American who crashed his Ducati?

Also, a scooter they frequently calla motorcycle when it's under the 500cc limit so it is legal in some countries to operate these.  

Anyways, it doesn't really matter does it in the long run?  

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

You were the one who blamed the victim, I pointed out that there are many questions to ask here.

It's the truth from the post I read.

Your comments just make a fiction novel, from the article.

This is childish.

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1