British family's heartbreaking ordeal after loved one died in Thailand bike accident - and the journey to bring him home

webfact

50 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Let me be callously logical here, how are they suffering? What difference would it have made if they had known from day one when he had died? People die all the time, 61 was a bit early but he was having a good time, millions die due to really tragic circumstances, starvation as a child, torture, war, hypothermia, poverty in general. Why must Granddad be brought back home? He's dead, he doesn't care where he is; just to put his urn containing his ashes on the shelf and then life goes on. Storm in a tea cup.

Such compassion.. amazing.

I'm more overwhelmed by the ignorance.

2 hours ago, Ginner said:

This day an age almost everyone has an id, ATM, credit card, drivers license, insurance card. All with your name on it. What about where he was staying. Hotel, guest house ect. 

"...almost everyone has an id, ATM, credit card, drivers license, insurance card"

But not everyone. 

"What about where he was staying. Hotel, guest house ect".

How could that be checked when they had no idea who he was?   They, obviously, also had no idea where he was staying.

10 minutes ago, alex8912 said:
16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Many people, including myself, work away from home, in different countries, for anything between a few weeks to "three full months" at a time.

Do I need to apologize to my two sons for being a bad father?

No. 
Did you go to Thailand for three months to have fun sometimes alone without them?

Not Thailand, no. Brazil was where I relaxed and unwound.

Does that make a difference?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Insurance companies are very adept at avoiding paying out.

Insurance companies are very adept at avoiding paying out invalid claims.  Percentages of claims paid out indicate that insurers (they're all regulated) actually have a very good record of paying valid claims, it they didn't there wouldn't be an insurance industry.

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Insurance companies are very adept at avoiding paying out invalid claims.  Percentages of claims paid out indicate that insurers (they're all regulated) actually have a very good record of paying valid claims, it they didn't there wouldn't be an insurance industry.

Yeah, very chicken and egg phraseology. Who determines it is valid?

Sorry going shopping, no time for argument!

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Not Thailand, no. Brazil was where I relaxed and unwound.

Does that make a difference?

Oh. Then yes you were a bad father for leaving your young children for three months and going to Brasil to unwind. My bad saying you were a good father because it was for work. 
Now I hope you are satisfied and our off topic nonsense can cease. Peace ☮️ 

27 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The Thai cops are such great detectives. Does anyone think that they now learned the " complete stranger's technique" when you find a dead person with no ID but a phone that you can put the SIM card of that person in another phone and gain some contacts? 

Where was it reported that the phone was found on his person?  The link suggests that it wasn't.

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Yeah, very chicken and egg phraseology. Who determines it is valid?

The insurers, obviously, it's not difficult to interpret the policy conditions (that's why somewhere in the region of 90% of all insurance claims are paid out).  The regulator, the ombudsman or a court is there if there is a dispute.  No "chicken and egg" situation, at all.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Just try saving up! 

Some people can handle their money, some come here and spend like drunken sailors. We are talking here of someone who came to Thailand for  a few months in winter... a different thing altogether. 

I do not depend on the State for a cheque and am nearly 70... who on earth wants to work until their seventies? Time to enjoy life when there is opportunity to... I tell you now, it gets less fun as you get older,,,,,

"Just try saving up! Time to enjoy life when there is opportunity to... I tell you now, it gets less fun as you get older".

People who are partially retired with significant funds don't save, they invest. You have to think about that one (smile). As I am slightly older than you I can agree that my fitness level is not getting better. Still in good shape for my age group, do not take medication, and can travel anywhere in the world without medical  worries. The problem I see with people who are fully retired at an early age is that they get disconnected from the real world. and find it difficult in adjusting  to the digital world and the ever changing regulations facing the expat. Their mental capacity to deal with current day problems, which younger generations can handle with ease, goes down hill.  I am amazed at times how many of my friends, who are younger than me, come to me to fix their technical  problems. So reliant on other people to fix their problems (smile). 

3 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

I would imagine this is the UK embassy fault not the Thais.

Isnt normal protocol to find.out the nationality then contact the relevant country embassy and they deal with it?

If as is stated, he had no ID, which embassy do the police go to?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

GoFundMe is the one taking the commission!

I know. But perhaps there are other people looking for stories they can use for GoFundMe and then ask for instance the relatives for their permission. Of course they will not do this for free. A kind of GoFundMe agent. 

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What does it matter now if he did or didn't?

Then we get to wag our fingers, issue warnings, and pat ourselves on the back. Always one of our first questions during our motorbike accident investigations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

UK Rules posted what we all know was a likely scenario.  Unfortunately, it happens too often. 

Maybe you should get out more and see the real world, and give the other posters a bit more respect.  

Read the attached.

So you are saying someone stole his wallet while he was riding his motorcycle, before the accident? Grow up.

This is the problem with this forum, uneducated comments from members. 

Keep your nose out of business you know nothing about, being too lazy to read the article then making antagonizing comments is childish and I'm fed up with your type, leave me alone. 

All of you antagonizers, leave me alone, I don't make offensive, stupid comments to your weird, fairy-tale comments or mythical investigation thoughts, I have a laugh and move on. 

IMG_20230202_101828.jpg

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As he was on holiday I would presume he hired his bike on the island where I live the majority of the bikes rented out have the name of the hire company I would of thought that it would be easy to locate the business even if it meant going through the transport office to see who the bike was registered to  RIP to the deceased my sympathies to his family ????????????️????????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Was there no licence plate and / or tax sticker on the bike? 

Good point. Also, why was he not carrying the copy of the M/C rental details? It would have details of name, hotel and passport No. That has been my experience when hiring vehicles here in the past. But!

3 hours ago, Ginner said:

Yes, I agree with you. This day an age almost everyone has an id, ATM, credit card, drivers license, insurance card. All with your name on it. What about where he was staying. Hotel, guest house ect. 

When I joined them British army in 1969 I was issued with a dog tag ( ID Disc ) it has been on my neck ever since and it will be there when I go up in a ball of flames at my local temple, however in my 18 years of living here in Thailand I have never left the house without my wallet or mobile phone which has a picture of my passport and my current visa stamp .

13 minutes ago, Cricky said:

Read the attached.

So you are saying someone stole his wallet while he was riding his motorcycle, before the accident? Grow up.

This is the problem with this forum, uneducated comments from members. 

Keep your nose out of business you know nothing about, being too lazy to read the article then making antagonizing comments is childish and I'm fed up with your type, leave me alone. 

All of you antagonizers, leave me alone, I don't make stupid comments to your weird, fairy-tale comments or mythical investigation thoughts, I have a laugh and move on. 

IMG_20230202_101828.jpg

I’m confused this friend was involved in the accident and was the deceased friend so why was he not asked the name of the driver and his details 

31 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The man who died had a phone. The stranger is the one who put his sim into his phone. The police could have done this as well. 

Did he have it on him at the time of the accident or was it found somewhere else later?   It was not reported that the phone was on him at the time.

37 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

"Just try saving up! Time to enjoy life when there is opportunity to... I tell you now, it gets less fun as you get older".

People who are partially retired with significant funds don't save, they invest. You have to think about that one (smile). As I am slightly older than you I can agree that my fitness level is not getting better. Still in good shape for my age group, do not take medication, and can travel anywhere in the world without medical  worries. The problem I see with people who are fully retired at an early age is that they get disconnected from the real world. and find it difficult in adjusting  to the digital world and the ever changing regulations facing the expat. Their mental capacity to deal with current day problems, which younger generations can handle with ease, goes down hill.  I am amazed at times how many of my friends, who are younger than me, come to me to fix their technical  problems. So reliant on other people to fix their problems (smile). 

You appear rather smug in the way that you write. Also you make assertions that have little or no basis with regard to the truth. “Disconnected from the real world” ???? There’s me thinking the real world is what is natural. For you it appears to be your technical expertise and continuing ability to generate money. Congratulations ????  

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m confused this friend was involved in the accident and was the deceased friend so why was he not asked the name of the driver and his details 

Does it state that the people involved in the accident were known to each other?