Thai woman in massive rant: Complains about foreign tourists getting better treatment than Thais

webfact

36 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
4 hours ago, Cricky said:

Doctor Tom, if English is not your first language please translate to a language you understand to stop you from making these silly comments.

She's attacking the Thai staff.

Expand  

As  usual on here, those with the least logic in their comments are the first to turn to insults, pathetic mate

Where's the insult?

Please explain.

Your comment seemed cloudy, confused, muddled, just trying to help out.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Do hotels charge different rate for foreigners? I know they do for parks etc. but never seen it at hotels

There's all sorts of government-sponsored incentives to get the local domestic tourist out and about and spending cash in hotels. In order to avail myself of these benefits, I get my wife to make the bookings.

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

There's all sorts of government-sponsored incentives to get the local domestic tourist out and about and spending cash in hotels. In order to avail myself of these benefits, I get my wife to make the bookings.

There was during covid, there are none mow. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Prices are all over the place..... I got a cheaper price going to Agoda through Google maps!

The key to get good price from Agoda, Expedia etc is to go via a price comparison site as Google Maps, Kayak or TripAdvisor, there they have to compete with other booking sites. If you use the Agoda app or web site directly you are in the bag already.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sato said:

Yes they do.

And Restaurants do have 2 menu cards. One in Thai with thai prices and one in english with farang prices (30%-50% more expensive).

I love when people discuss things as fact or commonplace when in over 25 years in Thailand i have seen few examples outside the most dire tourist traps. 

Cut the <deleted>, 99 percent of restaurants could not be arsed to create 2 menus.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

I love when people discuss things as fact or commonplace when in over 25 years in Thailand i have seen few examples outside the most dire tourist traps. 

Cut the <deleted>, 99 percent of restaurants could not be arsed to create 2 menus.  

Fact is that dual pricing in Thailand is very common. Not only in National Parks but also in Hotels, Restaurants, Taxis and Hospitals. Even on markets they try to charge Farangs with higher prices.

Of course in rural places they want have 2 menu cards in Restaurants as they want have anyway many farangs (at least no farangs who are not married to a thai) but this doesen't help much.

She's right, I always get faster service than Thais but I am paying double or triple unknowingly to an ear-to-ear smiling Thai....thinking "Stoooopid farang, you deserve it !".

Actually joking aside  -I always found Vietnam way worse and more blatant on 2-tier pricing.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Sato said:

Of course in rural places they want have 2 menu cards in Restaurants as they want have anyway many farangs (at least no farangs who are not married to a thai) but this doesen't help much.

I dont deny your claims that dual pricing exists here as it does in many places, especially where services are government subsidised.

There are also individually opportunistic instances, like market sellers (where negotiation is expected) or taxis.

That said, name one place in non-rural Bangkok or any other major centre where this is common practice. I eat out regularly both with thai and expat freinds and have not encounter this once in many years. 

I am not saying it doesn't happen but it is certainly not the norm.   

Edited by n00dle

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

That said, name one place in non-rural Bangkok or any other major centre where this is common practice.

Khao Lak, Bang Niang, Khuk Khak, Kok Kloy, Krabi.

In specific you found dual pricing in restaurants in areas where you have a lot of tourists and/or farangs living there all year and in restaurants where thais and thai tourists as well as farangs are visiting.

Restaurants who cook 'tourist thai food' do not have dual pricing. Brings nothing. No thai would go to eat there.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:07 PM, dingdongrb said:

I can totally understand why there's a price difference between citizens and non-residing foreigners  for the entering a national park and other national monuments/sites.

But having different prices for restaurants and hotels should be against the law.

You're correct but there is this huge community of resident non-Thais (more than one million). Unlike a local, some pay millions in direct and indirect taxes yet even the big boys at the Tourism promotion offices support the skinning of all non-Thais. And that's the group in discussion, paper wise well equipped with their residential status and certainly a powerful, money-spending piece of the tourism cake. 

Just get across the Mekong and see, how Thais go bananas over the fact, that they have to pay the non-Lao entry pricing ........ and those Thais are all non-resident tourists with mostly lower spending habits. 

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

name one place in non-rural Bangkok or any other major centre where this is common practice

The fruit vendor near Phesat Rungroj (there are several, I am talking about the one who sells mangoes). I gave up buying from her, it's just too disgusting. 

You said "one" place.

You need more?

Is there a maximum length for posts on AN?

BTW many years ago, the chamber of commerce of Hua Hin discussed,  whether to recommend double pricing. There were those who objected.

The result was a quite official recommendation to charge tourists more.

AFAIK things haven't changed in Hua Hin.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Henryford said:

That's interesting. Was she checking the same Agoda site, but in Thai? I would be surprised if Agoda quotes different rates depending on which language is used. I often find, using English only, that i get different rates using my mobile as opposed to using their web site on my PC.

The prices are the same regardless of language. What usually happens is that people are logged in on one device and then switch to another device where they are a "guest" or (more often the case) the preferences on one device have "include taxes" selected whereas the other device doesn't (which is what I expect happened to Chelseafan) 

However, I know some hotels do have discounted prices for residents (Thai citizens or foreigners with work permits) 

Edited by SABloke

Did the Visa run on Thursday Nongkai? Was waiting for the Bus that takes us over the laos friendship bridge, and a couple of Thais were standing behind us, the bus stopped the usual push to get on, my mate who speaks fluent Thai overheard these thais behind us saying " Look at the Falangs pushing in "  My mate turned to them and politely told them were not pushing in here you go on before us lol.

Edited by BarraMarra

On 2/2/2023 at 12:31 PM, Salerno said:

Why should she?

Bcos booking a hotel room or sitting down a restaurant, typically paying the business, not the individual directly.

Like it or not, tipping an individual person in the quickest and most widely working way to get their special attention to you.

Bcos why not should a service ppl pay more attention, above the expected job minimum, to those make clear to like and appreciate the extra care.

It is a transaction that usually pay out.

Telling from 25 yrs experience in service industry.

Of course, tipping isn't a must. Just often the best practice if want to have the best experience. That is life.

Ps. Left service industry 5 yrs ago. Too many entitled but cheap Charlie's nowadays.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tingtong said:

Like it or not, tipping an individual person in the quickest and most widely working way to get their special attention to you.

True that. I rarely tipped until I sympathized with Thais trying to make it through COVID. Paid back dividends. Disappointing thing was that a resto closed where I'd been giving out tips even to servers who weren't serving me that day

5 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Siriat hospial where I was charged an extra 25% for every transaction because I a foreigner.

In Australia if you are foreigner (no Medicare card) you pay a hell of a lot more for all medical charges.

Edited by Cricky
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Don't know about foreigners getting better service, but just back from Siriat hospial where I was charged an extra 25% for every transaction because I a foreigner.

What gives with this BS?

Perhaps the locals do not pay, or they are charged their National Health Service rate, as you are an alien, you must pay the full whack....:stoner:

6 hours ago, tingtong said:

Bcos booking a hotel room or sitting down a restaurant, typically paying the business, not the individual directly.

Bcos why not should a service ppl pay more attention, above the expected job minimum, to those make clear to like and appreciate the extra care.

It is a transaction that usually pay out.

Telling from 25 yrs experience in service industry.

Of course, tipping isn't a must. Just often the best practice if want to have the best experience. That is life.

Ps. Left service industry 5 yrs ago. Too many entitled but cheap Charlie's nowadays.

think you mean too many dont want to pay you extra money for just doing the job you are paid and expected to do ?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you are going through life making constant comparison with others, prepare to encounter disappointing information and observations 

Better just be happy concentrating on your own satisfaction, as the saying goes "don't sweat the small stuff" accept life is good if there is no 'big stuff' 

On a personal level , guests should always be given proper respect .

And the same holds true for guests,

they should respect the  country they are allowed to visit!

Once that respect has been alienated then its time to consider alternatives!