Back to the UK after 21 years - anything changed?

simon43

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Which is why it’s so much better to skip the claimed personal experiences and rely on verifiable date:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7281/

Really? So the OPs post about waiting times at the hospital he will use should be ignored? 

Your links generally show "averages". It stands to reason personal experiences will differ and sharing them is beneficial.

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How much UK tax have you paid in the last 21 years ?

Tax which funds the NHS .

Actually quite a bit!  I have a UK limited company through which some of my teaching funds are paid.  I submit my tax returns each year in the UK.  I also pay my National Insurance top-ups each year.

Concerning waiting times at The Christie, I checked the latest published stats for that hospital.  Those with suspected cancer are fast-tracked, those needing hip replacements are not.

Edited by simon43
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Really? So the OPs post about waiting times at the hospital he will use should be ignored? 

Your links generally show "averages". It stands to reason personal experiences will differ and sharing them is beneficial.

I wasn’t disputing the OP’s statements on waiting times, I was disputing the argument you you made in your post I was responding to.

Let me leave it at that, I’m a little busy to engage further in your obsessive focus on my posts.

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Actually quite a bit!  I have a UK limited company through which some of my teaching funds are paid.  I submit my tax returns each year in the UK.  I also pay my National Insurance top-ups each year.

The right to NHS treatment is not based on tax/NI payment history, it is based on ‘Permanent Residence in the UK or Permanent Residence in the UK being established at the time treatment is being sought’.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I wasn’t disputing the OP’s statements on waiting times, I was disputing the argument you you made in your post I was responding to.

Let me leave it at that, I’m a little busy to engage further in your obsessive focus on my posts.

I believe I spoke about waiting times too. 

You quoted me, I responded. No obsession.

If you are going back to Leicester you will find it changed for the worse, although Stoneygate is still tolerable. Last time I went into the city I could only stand it an hour before getting the bus out again. Even the cafe on Victoria park has been given an indian name, it's a wonder the park is not Gandhi gardens to go with Nelson Mandela park! Did you frequent the Clarendon pub, the Old horse was my local along with the Burlington, that got closed. Used to love living in Stoneygate.

Edited by proton

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

What colour is the money now?

Money is very recognisable, but all notes are plastic. Even more so than before, fifty pound notes are not easy to spend. Self service machines do not accept fifty pound notes.

5-front-specimen.jpg?la=en&hash=765167C0 5-back-specimen.jpg?la=en&hash=6FE5245D5

10-front.jpg?la=en&hash=4758347DBA2BBA3C polymer-10-back-specimen.jpg?la=en&hash=

Specimen showing front of twenty pound note Specimen showing back of twenty pound note

polymer-50-specimen-front.jpg?la=en&hash polymer-50-specimen-back.jpg?la=en&hash=

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/current-banknotes#:~:text=There are four denominations of,notes are printed on polymer.

All coins remain the same as 20 years ago, apart from the one pound coin, which now has 12 sides instead of being round.

The 2020 United Kingdom Proof Coin Set | The Royal Mint

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Can I actually use cash or does everyone pay using chips embedded in their hands? 

You can use cash nearly everywhere, however most people use contactless payments either with their bank card or their mobile phone. You will notice that cash is a rarity. If you have a UK bank card you can add it to your phone very easily so your phone can be used as a payment device, or you can just use the card itself. Contactless payments can be made up to 100 pounds per transaction, so pretty much everything can be paid for in this way.

There are a very few stores that do not accept cash, and a very few stores that only accept cash.

You will notice that almost everything can be paid with contactless. Taxi fares, vending machines, street buskers...

You will also notice a lot more self service machinery. For example in supermarkets you can scan and bag your own items. Sorry for the boring video below, but you will get the idea.

Other than that you will have sticker shock. Prices have really gone up recently, so from 20 years ago it will potentially be a bit mind boggling.

18 minutes ago, proton said:

If you are going back to Leicester you will find it changed for the worse, although Stoneygate is still tolerable. Last time I went into the city I could only stand it an hour before getting the bus out again. Even the cafe on Victoria park has been given an indian name, it's a wonder the park is not Gandhi gardens to go with Nelson Mandela park! Did you frequent the Clarendon pub, the Old horse was my local along with the Burlington, that got closed. Used to love living in Stoneygate.

No I won't visit my childhood city of Leicester.  I did go there some 10 years ago when I popped over for my mum's funeral.

The Old Horse?  Wasn't that the gay pub? ????

I grew up in Stoneygate, Westminster Road.  The gardens were a reasonable size and I climbed the tall trees at the bottom of our garden to put up my longwire radio antenna.  I spent many a night listening to the sounds of Andean music from tiny radio stations in Peru

????

By the way, why has this forum just awarded me a 'Rookie' badge for being a new member?!!

Edited by simon43

15 minutes ago, proton said:

If you are going back to Leicester you will find it changed for the worse, although Stoneygate is still tolerable. Last time I went into the city I could only stand it an hour before getting the bus out again. 

Is that because there is too many Asians there ?

Black cab, thanks.  Yes I have heard about Smarty and plan to buy this SIM card.  But I will also need unlimited data connection from the word go because I will be teaching online later the same day that I arrive.  So I'll probably buy a Vodafone prepay data card to last maybe 1 week and then switch to Smarty after I visit an Argos store.

• Thumbs Up 1

Simon, I hope that your treatment goes very well indeed.  Blackpool is an interesting choice for this, maybe you can be adopted by a few hen parties!  BTW - everyone was just awarded "First Post" and "Rookie" badges, some glitch I suppose.

23 minutes ago, simon43 said:

No I won't visit my childhood city of Leicester.  I did go there some 10 years ago when I popped over for my mum's funeral.

The Old Horse?  Wasn't that the gay pub? ????

I grew up in Stoneygate, Westminster Road.  The gardens were a reasonable size and I climbed the tall trees at the bottom of our garden to put up my longwire radio antenna.  I spent many a night listening to the sounds of Andean music from tiny radio stations in Peru

????

By the way, why has this forum just awarded me a 'Rookie' badge for being a new member?!!

Yeah I just got a first post badge! No the gay pub was the Dover Castle down near the Train station, they were well know for short changing people. 

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Yeah I just got a first post badge! No the gay pub was the Dover Castle down near the Train station, they were well know for short changing people. 

Oh I remember the Dover Castle .. er .. well not very much actually!  What's this about Blackpool's reputation? I thought it was well-known for its bracing winds, OAPs walking the promenade etc.

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Oh I remember the Dover Castle .. er .. well not very much actually!  What's this about Blackpool's reputation? I thought it was well-known for its bracing winds, OAPs walking the promenade etc.

Not been to Blackpool since '67, looks like a boarded up slum these days

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

What's this about Blackpool's reputation? I thought it was well-known for its bracing winds, OAPs walking the promenade etc.

A friend of mine returned there, with his Thai wife, a few years ago, he seems to be happy with his lot.
He used to manage a British style pub in the basement of a hotel on Sukhumvit in Bangkok.

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

Black cab, thanks.  Yes I have heard about Smarty and plan to buy this SIM card.  But I will also need unlimited data connection from the word go because I will be teaching online later the same day that I arrive.  So I'll probably buy a Vodafone prepay data card to last maybe 1 week and then switch to Smarty after I visit an Argos store.

GiiGaff SIM's are free, they will even send you one here to Thailand in advance of any travel. They are also very cost effective and there is no contract.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, simon43 said:

What colour is the money now? 

Can I actually use cash or does everyone pay using chips embedded in their hands? 

Do I need to learn Albanian?

Is it OK to clip naughty kids around the ear?

Can I talk about golliwogs and Fatty Arbucle?

Is it compulsory to be gay?

1 - Same as it's been since I was born. 5 pound notes had gone plastic last time I was there. I guess others may have followed suit since.

2 - Some places only accept card payments, if that's what your asking.

3 - Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

4 - No, of course it isn't. Is this some kind of hobby of yours?

5 - It depends on what exactly it is you are saying about them, of course.

6 - Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

It seems from your particular question set that you've already decided that you're not going to like being in the UK. That's sad for you.

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

1 - Same as it's been since I was born. 5 pound notes had gone plastic last time I was there. I guess others may have followed suit since.

2 - Some places only accept card payments, if that's what your asking.

3 - Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

4 - No, of course it isn't. Is this some kind of hobby of yours?

5 - It depends on what exactly it is you are saying about them, of course.

6 - Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.

It seems from your particular question set that you've already decided that you're not going to like being in the UK. That's sad for you.

You have no sense of humor and clearly do not understand the intellect nor circumstances of the poster, who is one of the forums longest serving members and is returning to the UK for cancer treatment. Mouth, foot, big time!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You have no sense of humor and clearly do not understand the intellect nor circumstances of the poster, who is one of the forums longest serving members and is returning to the UK for cancer treatment. Mouth, foot, big time!

I am aware of who the OP is and his history and why he is returning to the UK.

Cancer is a horrible disease and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But I don't expect that the OP would want to be treated differently because of it.

I would have responded to anybody else involved in making such "humor", as you call it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/2/2023 at 1:04 PM, simon43 said:

In the last 21 years, I have only made 2 short trips back to the UK to attend funerals.

Now medical circumstances mean that next week I will fly back to live in the UK.  Initially I will stay in Manchester close to The Christie hospital.  I have a reasonable online teaching income to sustain me in the UK.

Has anything changed in the past 21 years?

I haven't been back for a few years, however this article I saw in the NZ Herald, from a UK newspaper, makes me think that stupidity is reigning supreme in the UK??

Quote: "An advert suggesting that eating fish is the same as eating cats has been created by an animal rights charity.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) put up an electronic billboard, which shows a fishmonger holding up a dead cat, near a fish and chip shop in the seaside town of Cleethorpes, in Lincolnshire, UK.
……But the group has defended the comparison and accused fishers of abusing “animals with feelings” who “have a will to live”.

Whatever next?