Back to the UK after 21 years - anything changed?

simon43

42 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I haven't been back for a few years, however this article I saw in the NZ Herald, from a UK newspaper, makes me think that stupidity is reigning supreme in the UK??

Quote: "An advert suggesting that eating fish is the same as eating cats has been created by an animal rights charity.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) put up an electronic billboard, which shows a fishmonger holding up a dead cat, near a fish and chip shop in the seaside town of Cleethorpes, in Lincolnshire, UK.
……But the group has defended the comparison and accused fishers of abusing “animals with feelings” who “have a will to live”.

Whatever next?

Not sure that this is a good example of uniquely British stupidity.

PETA is a multinational organisation. Presumably, this view and action is consistent with those of the organisation as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, RayC said:

Not sure that this is a good example of uniquely British stupidity.

PETA is a multinational organisation. Presumably, this view and action is consistent with those of the organisation as a whole.

So, Multinational stupidity then!

I really couldn't believe it when I read this article in my online newspaper this morning – – fish, the animal which has sustained much of mankind since time immemorial, and I thought it had probably missed the April 1st deadline.

To use words from a movie from way back, "It is a Mad, Mad, Mad World". Whatever next?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

I haven't been back for a few years, however this article I saw in the NZ Herald, from a UK newspaper, makes me think that stupidity is reigning supreme in the UK??

Quote: "An advert suggesting that eating fish is the same as eating cats has been created by an animal rights charity.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) put up an electronic billboard, which shows a fishmonger holding up a dead cat, near a fish and chip shop in the seaside town of Cleethorpes, in Lincolnshire, UK.
……But the group has defended the comparison and accused fishers of abusing “animals with feelings” who “have a will to live”.

Whatever next?

I totally agree. What's wrong with eating cats?

• Haha 1

After a gap of 7 years the thing that staggered me in my home town was the number of pubs that have disappeared. Pubs that in my youth I queued outside for 30 minutes in the freezing rain to gain access are now ethnic restaurants and takeaways. There is even a Persian restaurant.

6 hours ago, stratocaster said:

After a gap of 7 years the thing that staggered me in my home town was the number of pubs that have disappeared. Pubs that in my youth I queued outside for 30 minutes in the freezing rain to gain access are now ethnic restaurants and takeaways. There is even a Persian restaurant.

Odd. I never once had to queue to get into a pub.

What are the queues like in the pubs that are remaining?

Anyway it sounds like some good progress. Don't get me wrong, I love a good pub, but no town needs to be packed with them. A few less pubs to make way for some more extensive eating options sounds like a plus to me, so long as the pubs that remain are decent.

6 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Same as my home town, full of foreigners now , there's even a Thai restaurant now , that was unheard of when I was younger 

On 4/27/2023 at 7:35 AM, xylophone said:

Whatever next?

That is one advert by a group with an extreme viewpoint and you are taking that ONE advert and suggesting that all of the U.K is similar to that !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is one advert by a group with an extreme viewpoint and you are taking that ONE advert and suggesting that all of the U.K is similar to that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Read my follow up post before responding next time!!!

On 4/29/2023 at 2:41 AM, stratocaster said:

Although the pubs closed because they are no longer a profitable business and going dahn the pub isn't a popular pastime anymore and ,any of the pubs have been turned into apartments .

Its not as if foreign restaurants are talking over the pubs , they are two different separate issues .

Pubs close down because they are unprofitable 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Quite handy. The foreigners seem to work much harder.

If it wasn't for foreign restaurants and take aways, plus the foreign delivery drivers, there'd be nothing to eat after 7pm.

TBH, I was being a bit sarcastic , a person going back to the UK after being a foreigner himself for seven years and complaining about all the foreigners in the UK 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

TBH, I was being a bit sarcastic , a person going back to the UK after being a foreigner himself for seven years and complaining about all the foreigners in the UK 

I did recognise the sarcasm.

It's quite funny that many posters on another topic slate Isaan because the lack of expats to talk to and the lack of Western food choices. ????

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

In case those who don't follow the health forum don't know the news, prostate cancer investigations in the UK revealed ... no cancer! The high PSA numbers and nodules on the MRI scan turned out to be benign ????  I am back in Thailand but still under the long-term treatment of my UK GP who has prescribed various antibiotics to treat to eliminate the UTIs that are causing the varying PSA numbers. I have online consultations booked with him later this years  after further PSA tests. (He is fully aware that I have returned to Thailand for the moment, but legally I am still a UK resident).

Why Blackpool?  Because apart from Hull, it had the cheapest hotel rooms.  I stayed for almost 3 months in a tiny, cold room (no heating) that had interesting black mold growing up the walls.

Glad to hear your good health news Simon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I had to attend hospital in the UK over several months.  So I had to pay for accommodation for that period.  Blackpool was one location with the cheapest hotel rents, (still not cheap compared to Thailand).  I had already paid out a large sum on the MRI scan and initial medical investigations in Thailand which my insurance company refused to pay for.  Since I didn't know how long I would stay in the UK, it was important to find accommodation that I could afford over an open-ended period.

Judging by your posts on the teaching forum, you've been earning in excess of 100000 baht (£2500) a month for many years.

That doesn't sound like someone who needs to stay in "a tiny, cold room (no heating) that had interesting black mold growing up the walls"

42 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Judging by your posts on the teaching forum, you've been earning in excess of 100000 baht (£2500) a month for many years.

That doesn't sound like someone who needs to stay in "a tiny, cold room (no heating) that had interesting black mold growing up the walls"

Have you been married 3 times and have kids in the UK and Thailand?  Eats up the money I can tell you (university fees, hospital fees for my niece etc).  Yes, I have some money in the bank, but with an open-ended and uninsured medical condition, it was sensible not to waste money on an expensive hotel room.

• Like 2