Back to the UK after 21 years - anything changed?

simon43

In the last 21 years, I have only made 2 short trips back to the UK to attend funerals.

Now medical circumstances mean that next week I will fly back to live in the UK.  Initially I will stay in Manchester close to The Christie hospital.  I have a reasonable online teaching income to sustain me in the UK.

Has anything changed in the past 21 years?  I mean that as a joke because I guess I am going to like the grizzled expat from Kenya that I saw on a YouTube video who didn't even know how to work a toaster ????

i read an article where someone bought a train ticket for same day travel from London to Liverpool for 349 quid. 

That's ####ing changed !!!

Im going for a 2 week visit in April for the first time in 16 years. Im a little nervous about what to expect myself. I dont envy you!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nikmar said:

i read an article where someone bought a train ticket for same day travel from London to Liverpool for 349 quid. 

That's ####ing changed !!!

Im going for a 2 week visit in April for the first time in 16 years. Im a little nervous about what to expect myself. I dont envy you!!

They clearly did not shop around.

The first tickets I bought for 22 years. 2 Brighton to Victoria returns. £7.50 each. Bought online. Soooooo much cheaper than buying at the station.

For travel, always look online. It's simple and cheaper.

• Like 2

Train travel cards and buses passes are excellent value, use both, one third off train tickets, over 65 years free bus travel. Buy your rail card on line NOW.

Lidl supermarkets really are cheaper, and it shows at the checkout.

Wetherspoons pubs serve real ales inexpensively, often half price normal pubs.

Don't smile at people, you'll get punched out.

Do you have somewhere to stay?

Money Savings Expert web site is a truly excellent site to help navigate high costs in the UK and point you towards sensible deals you might not otherwise be aware of. - Martin Lewis, a good bloke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

A quick, 30 seconds search online. Same day, today, London to Liverpool.

Screenshot_20230202_075154_Chrome.jpg

I always thought the elites (in Blighty) never wanted the peasants to have mobility..

Torches and pitchforks and all that..

These fares prove my point.

With 100 quid you can easily fly as far as Prague or Lisbon.

Within Blighty though, no no, no.

• Haha 1

Simon is going back because of a serious medical issue which treatment was denied by insurance company. I have been saying that insurance here is not good, but what surprised me was that his insurance is not a Thai based insurance. 

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The insurance company basically accused me of trying to defraud them  - I have had insurance with them for 3 years and immediately before that with other companies for 3 years.  Never made any claim.... Ho hum.

Was you aware of your condition before you got the insurance ?

I recall years ago over on TD you having to sell one of your resorts due to a medical condition 

The most significant thing to your situation that has not changed is the NHS is still providing health care free at the point of need.

The most significant thing to your situation that has changed is waiting times to see a doctor, get diagnostics and get treatment.

You’ll meet a lot of foreigners in the NHS, they’re a significant part of medical professionals and and very significant part of NHS auxiliary services.

Good luck with your treatment and keep us posted on how you get on.

[quote]

recall years ago over on TD you having to sell one of your resorts due to a medical condition 

[/quote]

Are you sure?  I can't think what that was, sex-change? er no.  Maybe it was to pay for the psychiatric hospital bills for mad ex #2...

Can you remind me?  I'm interested!

Also, no I was not are of having prostate cancer before I took out the insurance, because I did not have prostate cancer!  I had slight BPH, which was never diagnosed in writing by any doctor, but was only verbally said to me about 15 years ago.  I did not disclose that BPH on the insurance application form because none of the detailed health check-ups at Phuket Hospital, St Louis Hospital and Bangkok Hospital that I had between 2014 - 2020 never made any mention of it either!

[quote]

The most significant thing to your situation that has changed is waiting times to see a doctor, get diagnostics and get treatment.

[/quote]

Luckily this seems not to be the case for cancer patients at The Christie hospital. 98% of patients get their first consultation within 14 days of referral by their GP, 98% of patients start their treatment or have surgery within 28 days of diagnosis.  I have already had the MRI scans, and will take these images/reports with me.

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

recall years ago over on TD you having to sell one of your resorts due to a medical condition 

[/quote]

Are you sure?  I can't think what that was, sex-change? er no.  Maybe it was to pay for the psychiatric hospital bills for mad ex #2...

Can you remind me?  I'm interested!

A chest terminal infection or something .

You were selling your profitable resort in Phuket because you had a chest infection and you thought you would only live for a few more years and you wanted to sell the resort and retire , this must have been about ten years ago 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The most significant thing to your situation that has not changed is the NHS is still providing health care free at the point of need.

You’ll meet a lot of foreigners in the NHS, they’re a significant part of medical professionals and and very significant part of NHS auxiliary services.

Good luck with your treatment and keep us posted on how you get on.

I called my doctor yesterday morning. Had a phone consultation at 17:30. No further consultation needed. Had I needed one I would have been at the surgery this morning.

1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

I always thought the elites (in Blighty) never wanted the peasants to have mobility..

Torches and pitchforks and all that..

These fares prove my point.

With 100 quid you can easily fly as far as Prague or Lisbon.

Within Blighty though, no no, no.

You can fly in UK for that, if you so wish.

However, both UK and European flights are not as frequent and not as cheap as they look once you add luggage fees, etc.

OK, I have booked a flight from Heathrow to Manchester and the train to Blackpool where I'll stay initially. 68 quid for the plain and 13 quid for the train.  Seems reasonable.

@Xylophone - yes the fiendish DaVinci robot will be used, (assuming my lumps are cancerous, which would seem very likely).

[quote]

A chest terminal infection or something .

[/quote]

That would have been more than 10 years ago, maybe 15. It was probably when I had a bad day with my lungs ????  Or maybe it was an excuse to get rid of my mad ex ????

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Exactly. 

So, when you post heresy, you should start with " in my experience" just to show you are not speaking about a subject, in this case NHS, in general. 

Which is why it’s so much better to skip the claimed personal experiences and rely on verifiable date:

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7281/