Snakes in garden

p414

I've had vipers come to my door a few  rednecks in the garden and a couple of months ago king cobras all up necks out and growling which is the only time I got scared so asked around naugbours and was told vinegar so bought a few bottles very cheap and sprayed all around I don't know if it was the vinegar or me scaring the cobra but I've not seen anything now for months, even them horrible( ta carb) giant centipedes, vinegars worth a try its cheapest option 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Whatever you do don't harm them. Just leave them alone.

.... yea right ????

it doesn't end well for venomous snakes at my house/garden.  And don't suggest to call a profession to relocate, some place safe for all.   That's impossible.   I'm not moving a deadly snake to someone else's living area.

If there's a road to take to drop off somewhere.   That means there are people in the area.

Let alone, trying to catch it.  That's asking to get bit.  Cobras, Kraits, Vipers nah.  Golden Tree snakes get a pass, and welcome at the house ????

I know too many people that lost their dogs to snakes.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/3/2023 at 11:28 AM, worgeordie said:

Why would you ? , leave them alone and they will leave you alone,

beautiful animals like that ,why would you want rid of them. I cannot

understand some folks on here they want to get rid of everything that's

in their space , rats ,mosquitoes , venomous snakes OK , but .......

regard worgeordie

Yep. completely agree!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:31 AM, Rimmer said:

We often get golden tree snakes, Black spitting cobras, red necked keelbacks and yesterday a rare Kukri snake in the garden. 

We  use the pool net on a pole to capture them and throw them over the wall, my misses is getting very good at it ????

Ha, there's an obvious question that comes to mind...but then I am not the OP.????

Lazada sell a really good 'snake catcher'.  It is very much like a litter collector but comes in different sizes.  The one I have is 1.5 metres long.  They are very strong and unless the snake is very big once you have it in the jaws it cannot reach you to bite.  The larger the snake the nearer to the head you grab it.

I have to kill all snakes - harmless or not - as the dogs injure them badly and I don't like to see them suffering with bites out of them and their backs broken.  I am certainly not going to try giving them first aid!

We have quite a variety coming into the garden but once the dogs detect them it is normally a one sided battle.

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

.... yea right ????

it doesn't end well for venomous snakes at my house/garden.  And don't suggest to call a profession to relocate, some place safe for all.   That's impossible.   I'm not moving a deadly snake to someone else's living area.

If there's a road to take to drop off somewhere.   That means there are people in the area.

Let alone, trying to catch it.  That's asking to get bit.  Cobras, Kraits, Vipers nah.  Golden Tree snakes get a pass, and welcome at the house ????

I know too many people that lost their dogs to snakes.

Golden Tree snakes get a pass at my house too. A few months ago a Red Necked Keel Back appeared out the back of the house where rice fields start . One of my cats took a look at it but got no nearer but if a non venomous snake drops by it is welcomed. But it will get put over the wall just as long as the cat doesn't see other wise it will go in hot pursuit.

Oh , Golden Tree snakes are NOT venomous , my book  Snakes and other reptiles of THAILAND and south-East Asia says so.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Oh , Golden Tree snakes are NOT venomous , my book  Snakes and other reptiles of THAILAND and south-East Asia says so.

They are, but even if bit by one, they're not much of a threat to a human.   At the old house, I use to chase them up the tree/brush before letting the dog out.

Over the years there, the resident family got quite comfy with me, and wouldn't scurry off if I was only sitting a couple meters away sipping my morning coffee.  Loved sunning themselves on the waterfall.

Edited by KhunLA

On 2/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, n00dle said:

Asking a (Thai) neighbor for help generally results in a dead snake.

Or as Basil Fawlty said when someone suggested that he "ask the waiter [Manuel]":

"Might as well ask the cat...."