Bank other than Bangkok Bank for Monthly Deposits - Retirement Extension

I am sick and tired of Bangkok Bank.  I have used them for 4 years for my monthly deposits to verify my 65,000 minimum monthly transfers.  Each time it has been a hassle.  Only once was I given the correct items the first time.  First off for some unexplained reason you have to go a branch office and ORDER a 1 year bank statement.  I worked in banking for 40 years and 40 years ago we could print off a statement for a customer at a branch office.  Second, you are repeatedly told that ONLY THE BRANCH OFFICE YOU OPENED YOUR ACCOUNT AT CAN HELP YOU.  Now that is truly nonsensicle again 40 years ago we could assist a customer irrespective of what office an account was opened at.  Does Bangkok Bank really think that we believe that the information on a customers account is only directed back to a specific office where the account was opened.  Heck the ATM's know my transaction history irrespective of their location.  

This year was worse than most.  I went to the bank which was where I opened the account.  I asked for a 1 year bank statement and the letter required by immigration.  Instead I got a 6 month statement and the letter only the current balance in the account. After getting home and looking at the statement I discovered it was only 6 months, I had to return to the bank, pay another 100 baht wait another week, because Bangkok bank did not originally give me the full 1 year statement which I specifically told them was needed for my visa extension.  I then got to immigration who told me that the letter from the bank was not acceptible and they showed me a letter by a bank that monthly showed each deposit.  I said, I recognize that because I got one of those last year from Bangkok Bank who interestingly I got from a branch that was not where I opened my account and they correctly gave me the 1 year bank statement but again I had to make a second trip to the bank to retrieve it and this branch is further away than the one I opened my account at.  So now yet another trip back to the bank to wait to talk to the manager, who I showed the sample letter from immigration only to be told that "no we don't do that"  We only do what we already gave you.  After much prodding saying that Immigration would not accept that, she agreed to prepare such a letter, but of course that would necessitate yet again another 100 baht charge and you guessed it at least 24 hours to prepare. 

So, I am looking for those out there who have accounts with other banks and have a smoother time, getting a 1 year bank statement and proper letter authorization.  There has to be something better out there than Bangkok Bank.  

Edited by Longwood50

57 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

So, I am looking for those out there who have accounts with other banks and have a smoother time, getting a 1 year bank statement and proper letter authorization.  There has to be something better out there than Bangkok Bank.  

My account was with TMB and never a problem. However when I went along in Nov it was a bit of a nightmare. All the staff had been replaced under the restructure to TTB and they didn't have a clue what to do. The manager was on the phone to head office before anything got done and then it took forever.

Sorry, I appreciate another bank to avoid is not particularly helpful.

Scb for me (i also ditched Bangkok Bank) i tried Kasikornbank in Pattaya Klang Big C armed with loads of docs including Yellow Book and Pink ID card but counter girl insisted on Residence letter from Immigration..walked 90 yards to Scb who didn,t require that. Very happy with service and there app.

The 'Yellow' bank, aka Krungsri bank, this year has only taken 20min down from 45min to get a years statement and letter. once you have a one year extension, you can open a "MEE TAE'' account that pays 0.9% interest, 2 free withdraws a month over that 50b fee. :wai:

If you are using Wise for your monthly transfers Kasikorn bank can provide all necessary documents for immigration in one visit to any branch.

They also provide,free of charge ,proof of international transfers ,PDF via email,on request.

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

They ask as many as they need to......

When I first opened my account they wanted work permit or cannot do. I called their call centre advised them I have retirement visa handed phone to staff who were told to open account for me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, norbra said:

If you are using Wise for your monthly transfers Kasikorn bank can provide all necessary documents for immigration in one visit to any branch.

They also provide,free of charge ,proof of international transfers ,PDF via email,on request.

Thank You

That is exactly what I am looking for.  I have now made 4 trips this week to Pattaya Klang, one to another branch who said "they could not do it" despite the fact that last year I went to a different branch that is further away and they did it.  Even if done correctly at Bangkok Bank it is at minimum 200 baht, a one week wait, and two trips to the bank.  In today's world not acceptble. 

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

Thank You

That is exactly what I am looking for.  I have now made 4 trips this week to Pattaya Klang, one to another branch who said "they could not do it" despite the fact that last year I went to a different branch that is further away and they did it.  Even if done correctly at Bangkok Bank it is at minimum 200 baht, a one week wait, and two trips to the bank.  In today's world not acceptble. 

I also have worked in banking in the West for many years but I accept that Thai banking is not at the same level of sophistication as the US or UK, at least their customer service and systems are not. I also bank with BBL who like all banks here, fall down in one area or another. My other bank here is an abomination when it comes to statements and letters, I end up holding banking 101 training courses every time I need one. Those things said, I love BBL to death because for 15 baht per month, they send me an SMS telling me every time a transaction takes place on my account, and they tell me my balance every time also. So I think this all about trade offs, my advice would be not to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, norbra said:

When I first opened my account they wanted work permit or cannot do. I called their call centre advised them I have retirement visa handed phone to staff who were told to open account for me.

That 02 888 8888 call centre (English language section) is very good.

When I opened account with them the staff knew that I only needed to have a visa/extension.

8 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Thank You

In Jomtein I didn't need anything other than the bank letter plus 12 months statements.

I printed off Transferwise PDF's for each monthly transfer and highlighted each corresponding entry on the bank statements. Immigration showed no interest in my PDF's.

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

In Jomtein I didn't need anything other than the bank letter plus 12 months statements.

I just left Chonburi immigration.  They required the 12 months statement plus a letter from Bangkok Bank attesting to the deposits, and listing them in chronological order.  

I also printed the transferwise receipts and they were of no interest to him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I just left Chonburi immigration.  They required the 12 months statement plus a letter from Bangkok Bank attesting to the deposits, and listing them in chronological order.  

I also printed the transferwise receipts and they were of no interest to him. 

I have seen such a letter how you get it and the timeline involved I do not know

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I also have worked in banking in the West for many years but I accept that Thai banking is not at the same level of sophistication as the US or UK, at least their customer service and systems are not.

I also come from a banking career.  Even 40 years ago in the USA we could print a statement for a customer at any of our branches.  As to the sophistication of the Thai banks not being equal well I beg to differ.  Things like cardless withdrawals at ATM's were not there 4 years ago and neither was paying by scanning a QR Code.  I can log into their onine app using my fingerprint.  Also something I never saw in the USA. 

By contrast, the banks are still using passbooks.  I have not seen a passbook in the USA for probably 40 years.  Savings accounts are called "statement savings" you get only a statement of your account online and it records your transactions and details them.  No such statement here in Thailand.  I get monthly statements from SCB for their credit card but not for the bank accounts. 

One thing is for certain, the branch personnel here are not well trained.  Though I have found often there is a greater degree of capability you have to continue to dog them until you find someone with a degree of knowledge.  The easiest response here is Thailand is No we don't do that.  The vast majority of time, they do, but they personally don't know how so rather than lose face, they find it easier and more expedient to say NO. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Kaiskorn Bank, very good, no problems in 7 years, like you I was once with BB, a waste of time

Been with Bkk Bank for 12 years with no problems whatsoever.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Been with Bkk Bank for 12 years with no problems whatsoever.

I like them, I usually get what I need without too much  drama.

My first experience with them wasn't great, I went with my wife to request a one year statement on her business account. The local branch had the statement printed which showed our address of ten years before so we went back to get it corrected. Staff there, all the way to manager level, did their very best to avoid having to reprint the statement and accused my wife of failing to notify the bank of her change of address. We pointed out the account was opened new when we moved to our home nearby but the system had somehow picked up her previous address from a prior account. A quick check of their paperwork showed this was true.  I sat in the meeting listening and watching as all of this unfolded and attempts were made to shift the blame, it was an amazing experience. Eventually my wife got what she wanted and we've never used  a rural branch since. It's all about location location location.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

rather than lose face

Bingo.

Anyhow there is no point in complaining. 

Simply close the Bangkok Bank account.

I have been with K Bank for years, I feel they are the most foreigner friendly.

If you have a yearly extension of stay based on retirement, shouldn't be problem with getting an account.

I recommend this branch in Bangkok -

Kasikorn Bank, Phahon Yothin Branch,

400/22 Phahon Yothin Road,
Sam Sen Nai Sub-district, Phaya Thai District, Bangkok

On 2/9/2023 at 9:33 AM, brianthainess said:

The 'Yellow' bank, aka Krungsri bank, this year has only taken 20min down from 45min to get a years statement and letter. once you have a one year extension, you can open a "MEE TAE'' account that pays 0.9% interest, 2 free withdraws a month over that 50b fee. :wai:

What documentation do they provide in regards to international transactions that satisfy immigration for extension renewals 

On 2/9/2023 at 9:42 AM, norbra said:

They also provide,free of charge ,proof of international transfers ,PDF via email,on request

Well I took your advise and those of others.  I went to Kasikorn yesterday to the office located in the complex with Tesco in North Pattaya.  Like most of my banking experiences here, the personnel seem clueless like it is the first time they have encountered something. 

I used my translate feature on my phone.  

They said:

1. I needed a certificate of residence to open the account. I had a copy. They said no they needed to see the origignal, make a copy, and then give me the original back.

2. They said that once opened that a 12 month bank statement could be printed same day at any branch

3. When I showed them the copy of the letter, that immigration was requiring they said, no only the branch in Pattaya Klang could do those. 

Now whether that was true, or not, it seems to be different than what other posters here have said.  I know this.  I went to Bangkok Bank and the branches all said, no only the office you opened the account at could do that.  However, last year I followed the reccomendation of my neighbor and went to a different office than the one I opened my account at.  I did get the one year statement and the correct letter but had to wait one week to get them.  That is the one and only time, in 4  years with Bangkok Bank I got the correct documents the first time. 

image.png.f545eabfae0dc214c9e343df42cd6645.png

42 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Well I took your advise and those of others.  I went to Kasikorn yesterday to the office located in the complex with Tesco in North Pattaya.  Like most of my banking experiences here, the personnel seem clueless like it is the first time they have encountered something. 

I used my translate feature on my phone.  

They said:

1. I needed a certificate of residence to open the account. I had a copy. They said no they needed to see the origignal, make a copy, and then give me the original back.

2. They said that once opened that a 12 month bank statement could be printed same day at any branch

3. When I showed them the copy of the letter, that immigration was requiring they said, no only the branch in Pattaya Klang could do those. 

Now whether that was true, or not, it seems to be different than what other posters here have said.  I know this.  I went to Bangkok Bank and the branches all said, no only the office you opened the account at could do that.  However, last year I followed the reccomendation of my neighbor and went to a different office than the one I opened my account at.  I did get the one year statement and the correct letter but had to wait one week to get them.  That is the one and only time, in 4  years with Bangkok Bank I got the correct documents the first time. 

image.png.f545eabfae0dc214c9e343df42cd6645.png

The Kbank letter is not the same as this from BKK bank. Kbank letter only indicates your account is current and with the updated current balance.

Their passbook indicates that international transfers,using Wise, are coded GPS (Global Payments System) so immigration require credit advice for each transaction,Kbank will email these to you on request FOC..

At CW they check 12 month statement against credit advice receipts.

Edited by norbra
Update

10 minutes ago, norbra said:

The Kbank letter is not the same as this from BKK bank. Kbank letter only indicates your account is current and with the updated current balance.

Yes that is exactly the one that Bangkok Bank prepares.  That is fine if you have the 800,000 baht in the bank.  It is not the acceptable letter if it is the monthly transfers.  It is fine that the bank would email those to you.  However if they were not original and contain the bank stamp and signature I seriously doubt that immigration would take them. 

This idea of the letter is nonsense since they already have the printed statement from the bank that clearly shows the FIT but you can not argue with them.  Yesterday I got the letter from Bangkok Bank and upon arrival the immigration officer noted the account number on the letter was not mine.  That required I go back to have it corrected.  When I returned I said to him, well so much for the reliance that immigration must have with the banks given they can't even get a customers account number correct on the letter. 

CreditAdvice_COPY.pdf

21 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes that is exactly the one that Bangkok Bank prepares.  That is fine if you have the 800,000 baht in the bank.  It is not the acceptable letter if it is the monthly transfers.  It is fine that the bank would email those to you.  However if they were not original and contain the bank stamp and signature I seriously doubt that immigration would take them. 

This idea of the letter is nonsense since they already have the printed statement from the bank that clearly shows the FIT but you can not argue with them.  Yesterday I got the letter from Bangkok Bank and upon arrival the immigration officer noted the account number on the letter was not mine.  That required I go back to have it corrected.  When I returned I said to him, well so much for the reliance that immigration must have with the banks given they can't even get a customers account number correct on the letter. 

The Kbank credit advice pdf is digitally signed no problems 

Edited by norbra