Annual Renewal - Extension of Stay - Retirement, Bangkok

I have now been retired here in Thailand for almost 13 years.  However, having moved to Bangkok last May, this will be my first renewal here. I will be using the B 800,000, money in the bank method. The money has been "parked" in a Bangkok Bank account since June of last year, and was previously parked in another account closer to my previous Immigration office.

Here is my checklist of Immigration's requirements:

1. Fee, B 1900

2. Photo

3.  Bank Letter - verifying balance on the day; can obtain on the day at Chaeng Wattana Immig. branch

4. Copies:

a) bankbook - ID page, and pages showing the last three months of transactions

b) bank statement - I believe it will show 6 mos. of transactions, which is more than sufficient

c) passport - ID page and every stamped page

d) rental contract

e) owner's ID card*

* Does this require a blue ink signature by the owner, and a reasonably recent date ?  I have a photocopy here, and will copy that, if sufficient.

Is there anything that I have forgotten ?

Edited by allane
x

I would add to #3, on the morning before going to bank add some money (or withdraw (but make sure it stays above 800.000 THB) to the account so the Balance is updated. And thus also update your Bank Book at the same time

also #4A. Please note that the Balance of the 6 Month statement is NOT the balance from Today but from Yesterday.

#4C Also include last 90 Day report Card and Tm30 if you have it

Edited by MJCM
additional info

15 minutes ago, allane said:

d) rental contract

e) owner's ID card*

it would certainly be prudent to take these if you have them, but I am wondering if this is a new requirement? I have never been asked for either, but had TM30 filed. I suspect you will have to have a formal TM30 filed - I suspect  just showing them the lease is unlikely to be a substitute for that.

You will need to show current 90 day report for them to proceed based on my experience at CW.

i'm not sure how many 'stamped' pages are in your passport, but i have typically provided only the face/details page, the relevant Non O stamp page, and the most recent entry stamp page.  i use one of the copy shops downstairs at CW and the gals that work there seem to know what needs to be copied.

i've never been asked for a 90 day report but often i've not been in the country for 90 days when i'm getting the extension.  last time (oct 2022) i did do a 90 day the prior month and was not asked for the slip about two weeks later (when doing the extension).

Some random errors in OP .

Not in any order.

Bank book pages showing previous 12 months.

If no activity in some months CW now (new hurdle) want bank statements for the year.

Passport basic pages.

Not all stamped pages.

ID page, extension stamps , last entry stamp, original non O visa or if renewed pp copy of the visa details in new pp.

Since OP has changed immigration office then TM30 for change of address would be required.

I notice post above that tm47 receipt not required however it certainly was for my extension last Nov. 

Here is my report from 2021 extension at CW. 

The difference to my experience in 2022 is that they wanted tm47 receipt and bank statements as some of my months have zero transactions due to using dedicated bank account. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I notice post above that tm47 receipt not required however it certainly was for my extension last Nov. 

Same here, was required when I did my renewal last month.

But again different IO's different rules, but I also have noticed that even when I gave them everything (re: Passport Copies) they still made some other pages copies. So Last time I photocopied all pages (relevant to Thai Immigration) and gave them that.

Pages I left out were for example Cambodian Visa's or pages with only Cambodian Entry Stamps etc etc.

22 hours ago, mokwit said:

it would certainly be prudent to take these if you have them, but I am wondering if this is a new requirement? I have never been asked for either, but had TM30 filed. I suspect you will have to have a formal TM30 filed - I suspect  just showing them the lease is unlikely to be a substitute for that.

You will need to show current 90 day report for them to proceed based on my experience at CW.

So, I can conclude that since I filed a TM 30 when I moved to Bangkok, that a fresh copy of my rental contract and the owner's ID card is not required at this time. I will take my current copies.

As I stated at the outset, this will be my first extension in Bangkok.  I have been living, while retired, in three other provinces, so prepared my checklist as a sort of composite list based on my recollection of experience in those.

45 minutes ago, allane said:

I filed a TM 30 when I moved to Bangkok, that a fresh copy of my rental contract and the owner's ID card is not required at this time

My experience has been that these were never asked for. Pre or post TM30 (filed). Still think it better to take them just in case, as I do TM30 receipt and lease agreement.

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

thing is if you don't complete the form beforehand it's just another delay

I have all documents (overstay forms, Tm7, Passport Pages, Bank book pages (except the last pages) scanned into my PC and for the forms I just change the date and then print them out.

At first a lot of work, but after that it's just print print print ????

Edited by MJCM
Forgot Tm7 (555555)
  • Like 1

Assuming this is for the non-IMM O-A the need to make sure the insurance system has been updated by your insurance provider. Don't know if really necessary to have a hard copy of new policy with the policy dates as they seem to check a system to confirm anyway. Also remember the expiration date of new policy will be expiration date of visa extension, i.e. if policy runs only 6 most the visa extension will only be till that date.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not in any order.

Bank book pages showing previous 12 months.

If no activity in some months CW now (new hurdle) want bank statements for the year.

Passport basic pages.

Not all stamped pages.

ID page, extension stamps , last entry stamp, original non O visa or if renewed pp copy of the visa details in new pp.

OK, I'll start by saying I'm not with CW

2 years ago I submitted copies of Bank Book covering last 12 months (by lack of activity on the account went as far back as 2018) - wasn't good enough need copy the whole book which goes as far back as 2014, and required a 12 month statement to prove that lack of activity was not due to "consolidated entries", e.g. went below 800k in the morning and replaced in afternoon.

Passport pages (2 years ago), copied ID page, latest extension stamp and Visa details transferred from old passports - nope needed copies of all extension stamps and TM47 & TM30 receipts and TM6.

Admittedly one offices requirements does not indicate all offices need the same, however being informed makes one more prepared for "need this or that" requests.

We now have a situation where getting your extension depends on having a TM30 done because without that you can't do a 90 day report and without 90 day they won't extend. So it's not just "Bt800k in the bank" as per the law. What next I wonder?

Edited by mokwit

On 2/11/2023 at 9:56 AM, allane said:

So, I can conclude that since I filed a TM 30 when I moved to Bangkok, that a fresh copy of my rental contract and the owner's ID card is not required at this time. I will take my current copies.

I was actually asked for a copy of my rental contract when I did Non O extension at CW in December, in spite of having given it a few weeks earlier when converting to the Non O. The reason the IO asked was that my TM30 (filed during the big TM30 kerfuffle of 2019) was not considered recent and she wanted a more current proof of address. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Thanks 1

Changes at CW. Used to be that if you dotted all the i's and crossed the t's the way they wanted, it was just a formality.

Something everybody needs to consider if they are old or sick: How will you stay visa compliant?.

Edited by mokwit

16 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I was actually asked for a copy of my rental contract when I did Non O extension at CW in December, in spite of having given it a few weeks earlier when converting to the Non O. The reason the IO asked was that my TM30 (filed during the big TM30 kerfuffle of 2019) was not considered recent and she wanted a more current proof of address. 

I was at CW today for my first Non O extension and, yes, can confirm the IO definitely wanted a copy of the rental contract and was carefully checking it. Also copy of landlord ID. 

Others at CW told me they were also asked to show house registration and title deed (reason given was the recent fraud re Chinese visas), but my IO didn't ask for that.

• Thanks 1

As the time is nearing for our return to Thailand, and after reading many expat comments re: sending funds to/from Thailand, and the financial requirement for annually extending a Non-O visa based on marriage, my wife and I would greatly appreciate confirmation of our understanding regarding the following.

• We have decided that the best option, for us, for sending funds from our Bangkok Bank joint savings account to our checking account at Bank of America in the U.S. (until it will be possible to do so via WISE) is to wire same directly via SWIFT; I was pleased to read on Bangkok Bank's website that when using this option there is “no need to apply for the service in advance or submit any supporting documents, you can make a transfer by yourself online.”

• Regarding the financial requirement for obtaining, annually, my visa extension: My wife and I have been transferring funds, via Wise, into our Bangkok Bank joint account (opened in 2017) over the last 3 years and now have a balance in that account of >฿M.

I have been assured by individuals on this forum that the least complicated option, even though I qualify for the ฿40K/month option, is the ฿400K in a personal bank account for a minimum of 2 months before applying for a visa extension, and that I can open such an account and transfer the required funds into it from our existing Bangkok Bank joint savings account without any requirement as to where the funds came from.

• An aside: Does Bangkok Bank offer a fee-free credit card which can be used to purchase4 (in baht) and pay the balance each month via debiting our savings account?

I thank all respondents for your time and generous sharing of your experience and knowledge.

Sidney Leonard

What about handwritten map showing precisely where you stay? I recently renewed at CW and this was the main item the IO concentrated on.

Not asked for Landlord id or signature. But my landlord is a Thai Ltd company. My rental lease was sufficient.

As others have said i assume you will provide a copy of your 90-day report.

Apart for the completed form TM7(the actual application for extension) they will ask for other routine forms for you to complete and sign when you are there.

2 hours ago, sidleonard said:

As the time is nearing for our return to Thailand, and after reading many expat comments re: sending funds to/from Thailand, and the financial requirement for annually extending a Non-O visa based on marriage, my wife and I would greatly appreciate confirmation of our understanding regarding the following.

• We have decided that the best option, for us, for sending funds from our Bangkok Bank joint savings account to our checking account at Bank of America in the U.S. (until it will be possible to do so via WISE) is to wire same directly via SWIFT; I was pleased to read on Bangkok Bank's website that when using this option there is “no need to apply for the service in advance or submit any supporting documents, you can make a transfer by yourself online.”

• Regarding the financial requirement for obtaining, annually, my visa extension: My wife and I have been transferring funds, via Wise, into our Bangkok Bank joint account (opened in 2017) over the last 3 years and now have a balance in that account of >฿M.

I have been assured by individuals on this forum that the least complicated option, even though I qualify for the ฿40K/month option, is the ฿400K in a personal bank account for a minimum of 2 months before applying for a visa extension, and that I can open such an account and transfer the required funds into it from our existing Bangkok Bank joint savings account without any requirement as to where the funds came from.

• An aside: Does Bangkok Bank offer a fee-free credit card which can be used to purchase4 (in baht) and pay the balance each month via debiting our savings account?

I thank all respondents for your time and generous sharing of your experience and knowledge.

Sidney Leonard

AFAIK,

1) The transfer/repatriation of funds from Thailand thru Bangkok Bank can be problematic and needs an International account, documentation and is only available for specific reasons. Dee Money may be a better alternative.

2) I do not have any personal experience with marriage extension so I will not comment.

3) No, getting any type of credit/debit card is not fee free. Debit cards have an up front charge and a yearly fee. Usually a non-thai getting a credit card is pointless as the required deposit must equal the credit limit as is the same procedure for debit cards