Philips Hue high lumen bulbs unavailable in Thailand? Permissible to import them?

rsskga

My husband (Thai born but living abroad for the last ~20 years) and I recently moved to Thailand. He works for an American company so we are up during the night and sleep during the day. Because of this, I want to get some Philips Hue products to help support our sleep-wake cycle.

According to the Philips Hue website, E27 color bulbs with an input voltage of 220-240 and a max lumen output of 1600 are available in Australia and the UK (and possibly elsewhere). However, the max output listed for an E27 color 220-240v bulb in Thailand is 1100 lumens, and I'm unable to find a retailer that actually sells them. The max output I can find for purchase is 800 lumens.

I'm wondering if the reason for this is a simple lack of demand? Or are there regulations of some sort limiting the maximum lumen output per bulb?

If it's a simple lack of demand and it's permissible for me to import them for personal use, any ideas how I could get a product from Amazon Australia into Thailand if the Amazon seller doesn't ship directly to Thailand?

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I could use AUSFF or a similar forwarding service.

Edited by rsskga
Answered part of my own question

So no friends in Australia? who could go the the shop, buy them and parcel them up and send to you?, or worst contact Philips in Thailand and order direct from their spares department. It not rocket science, it using your knowledge and picking up the phone!

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I've seen Hue bulbs in Central Festival. I think the shop is called Life. It sells tech gear and is on the same floor as AIS if I remember correctly.
I brought several Hue bulbs in my luggage and had no problem bringing them in.

Update: Yes it's this shop.

https://www.phuket.net/directory/profile/dotlife-central-festival-phuket/

Edited by FreddieMercury
  • Love It 1

On 2/11/2023 at 3:36 AM, phetpeter said:

So no friends in Australia? who could go the the shop, buy them and parcel them up and send to you?, or worst contact Philips in Thailand and order direct from their spares department. It not rocket science, it using your knowledge and picking up the phone!

You could have just simply answered her question, or not, without being so rude. 

• Like 1

Quick update...

I ended up ordering the 1100 lumen version from Shopee (shipped from Hong Kong).

Turns out the lamps I'd ordered from IKEA have a 13 watt maximum. I hadn't even checked their wattage rating because I'd assumed it would be more than adequate to handle the low wattage output of LED bulbs. So, I was wrong there and will definitely explicitly check this in the future.

The 1600 lumen Hue bulbs have a maximum output of 13.5 watts. While this difference seems tiny and like it should be insignificant, after reading several threads on Reddit and Quora I decided better safe than sorry and went with the lower wattage bulb that will operate within the specified max of the lamps.

Thanks to all for the tips!