Retirement Visa with no deposit funds - any agents in Chiang Mai or Pattaya?

22 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

If it isn't illegal, then why do you need plausible deniability?

In case the agent cuts corners, and does not use the available legal loopholes correctly. It insulates you further from the process. In the unlikely event that action was taken against the official and the agent, you can still validly point out that you did nothing illegal, and neither did you ask anyone else to engage in illegal activity.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Even if the whole set-up is illegal, I would not expect anything to happen unless there is some situation like one of the immigration officers, who is being charged with offenses non-related to the agent immigration set-up, decides, for a plea deal, to implicate other officials in accepting 10-15000 baht for a service that costs 1900 baht even if under Section 35 of the Immigration Act (1979) they have the authority to waive requirements under the prevailing Police Order.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

There is no loophole in the law. In the same Immigration Act (1979) that at Section 35 may give tan IMM officer the right to waive requirements, on page 38 of thee same document it says:

(3) Application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom
under Section 35, per person, each time 2,000 baht

I am going to duck out of this discussion. I will just finish by saying that the Immigration Act lists the fees that are paid to Immigration for different services. There is no law in Thailand that regulates agent fees. If your point is that paying an agent more than 1,900 baht for an extension of stay (or 500 baht for doing a 90-day address notification) is proof of illegality, then I think you are mistaken.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If your point is that paying an agent more than 1,900 baht for an extension of stay (or 500 baht for doing a 90-day address notification) is proof of illegality, then I think you are mistaken.

I am not mistaken -- it all depends where the amount paid to the agent in excess of 1900 baht and 'reasonable' agent  expenses goes.

• Like 1