Emoijs are back (but are they staying?)

MJCM

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

If you do suspect you are the victim of a "reaction-troll" you can still report such posts, remember the all-seeing oracle knows who reacted what ???? 

I've been down that road. For one it would create a full time job for you guys as I seem to have built up quite a "fan" club. Secondly, I understand that if members were suspended or banned because of misuse of emojis "there wouldn't be many members left".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'd rather see all emojis gone instead of the shoe fight we have here now. 

Nah, the Like Thanks and Love it would be fine by me, but would definitely miss the 55555 one as I frequently visit the jokes section

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, connda said:

Censoring 'emojis' is almost desperate.  And what does it accomplish?  You quote the post and add a laugh or one of the other hundred emojis. 

Agree, but when someone posts a ???? emoji in reply to a post then you can quote that post and get into a discussion (if you want).

But with just a emoji then (when the member doesn't have any posts in that topic) you are stuck to send him/her a PM if you want to know why he/she reacted that way.

Emoji reactions, the way I see it, are more anonymous then typing a post (but that is just me)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I shall be starting an emoji troll victim support group.

We shall hold meetings at Spider bad on Soi 6 Pattaya each Friday evening from 18:30. Rounds to be bought by all who admit to be trolled by emojis.

The problem is that someone may actually find a post funny.  Then the poster becomes "offended", and yet, the emoji reaction may have been to something that was actually funny. 

I have a thicker skin than most I guess.  But I find the easily offended simply offering themselves up as targets to those who oppose their views. 
I'm anti-censorship/pro-free speech (regardless of the content) but - Aseannow can do what they wish. Even if it effects their viewership.  Up to them.  However, Aseannow isn't Twitter or Facebook.  It's a publication with a limited number of high-volume contributors.  Alienate enough of them so they just slow up their visits and postings and then - ad revenues drop.  Really - take all the emojis away.  I'll live.  But how will Aseannow fare?  Just saying......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

The problem is that someone may actually find a post funny.  Then the poster becomes "offended", and yet, the emoji reaction may have been to something that was actually funny. 

I agree, yes but if 10 people react like to a post and 1 person reacts with 555 then wouldn't you like to know why he/she thought it was funny?

Just now, connda said:

I have a thicker skin than most I guess.  But I find the easily offended simply offering themselves up as targets to those who oppose their views. 
I'm anti-censorship/pro-free speech (regardless of the content) but - Aseannow can do what they wish. Even if it effects their viewership.  Up to them.  However, Aseannow isn't Twitter or Facebook.  It's a publication with a limited number of high-volume contributors.  Alienate enough of them so they just slow up their visits and postings and then - ad revenues drop.  Really - take all the emojis away.  I'll live.  But how will Aseannow fare?  Just saying......

I posted in one of the other threads words to the effect that someone who gets triggered by emojis must have some underlying issues.

I can only imagine that now each time they get a notification that "somebody" reacted to a post, without knowing exactly who it was, that trigger will be even worse.

I know it makes me a bad person, but that kind of makes me laugh even more.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, connda said:

Perhaps AN should rework their User Interface so you have the option to "Ignore" even emojis.  Then those who are offended by such things will not see them and trigger them to be offended. 

That would be the intelligent solution.

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Perhaps AN should rework their User Interface so you have the option to "Ignore" even emojis.  Then those who are offended by such things will not see them and trigger them to be offended. 

????

But as AN is using I believe a 3rd Party product (Innovision it's called AFAIK) they have to wait and see if that company offers that

16 minutes ago, connda said:

It depends on what you call funny. If you *know* the recipient didn't intend it to be funny then it isn't appropriate, you are then trolling. Nothing stops you from liking a post. As for the sad and confused emojis, I don't know what their legitimate purpose actually is. 

Edited by ozimoron

Just now, ozimoron said:

As for the sad and confused emojis, I don't know what their legitimate purpose actually is. 

I'd use confused to mean "what the heck are you on about?" or "that makes no sense".

I'd use sad if you posted that your dog just died.

it's not really rocket science... surely?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, papa al said:

So anything that triggers papa

is trolling

right.?

No. I write lots of serious stuff that triggers far right wingers. I'm not trolling them. Emojis used inappropriately really are trolling. I can't see this working at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I'd use confused to mean "what the heck are you on about?" or "that makes no sense".

I'd use sad if you posted that your dog just died.

it's not really rocket science... surely?

Why not just say a few words and ask them like normal respect demands?

Edited by ozimoron

Just now, ozimoron said:

Why not just say a few words and ask them like normal respect demands?

Tell that to Facebook, Discord or pretty much every interweb social interaction app. Emoticons are a thing, they've been around for years, they'll stay around for years too I'd think.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No. I write lots of serious stuff that triggers far right wingers. I'm not trolling them. Emojis used inappropriately really are trolling. I can't see this working at all. 

anything that triggers papa

is obviously inappropriate

therefore trolling, right.?

Dang confusing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fusion58 said:

Good man!

Being the victim of laughter is no laughing matter!

Numerous studies by YouTube researchers have shown that laughing emoticons can cause severe damage to a developing child's fragile sense of self-esteem, privilege and entitlement.

Solutions?

1. More helicopter mods.

2. Report offenders to the RTP and to the PM himself if necessary.

3. Retain legal counsel and consider the pursuit defamation charges.

4. Ask to speak to the manager. ????

See you next Friday, 18:30 sharp ????

14 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Tell that to Facebook, Discord or pretty much every interweb social interaction app. Emoticons are a thing, they've been around for years, they'll stay around for years too I'd think.

But to react to a post they only have (Afaik because I don't use any of that .....) ???? and ???? and we (AN members)  have a choice of 6 ????

32 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I see that the Emojis have returned. Could you please explain why I do not have the Ha Ha one. I have not had this for about 6 months?

Because you haven't said anything funny? :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Just now, MJCM said:

But to react to a post they only have (Afaik because I don't use any of that .....) ???? and ???? and we (AN members)  have a choice of 6 ????

Facebook has Like, Love, Care, Haha, Wow, Sad and Angry. Discord's are customisable to the extent you could have 1000s.

I'd really like a "muppet" emoticon. I'd probably use it profusely.

• Like 1