South Dakota is set to ban nearly all forms of gender-affirming care for minors

Social Media

Just now, Hanaguma said:

Those might be good reasons to RAISE the age to drive/marry rather than lower the age to consent to gender treatment.

But again, they are not permanent or irreversable in most cases. Most drivers don't die in car accidents. Most people who marry do so at a later age than 16, and don't have kids either.  You can change your mind and stop driving or stop being married, you can't change your mind after you have a double mastectomy and remove perfectly healthy body parts. 

Puberty blocking/delaying drugs are 'best' given before puberty, which means kids from 10 years old are being put on them. Half these kids still think Santa Claus is real and they are being given these drugs?  Sorry but it is ripe for abuse and the long term effects may be catastrophic.

May be you didn't read my post fully, fatal car accidents are permanent. "Teen drivers in this age group have a fatal crash rate almost three times as high as drivers ages 20"

In South Dakota having children at 16 is permanent.

If "you" feel its a good reason to "RAISE" the age to drive and have children to 18 rather than lower the age to 16 when someone can make a decision on whether they want gender treatment reinforces my views in my initial post.

Much more thought should have been taken before enacting this law.

My personal opinion, by the age of 16 you are mature enough to know so long as there is adequate counselling first.

30 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

May be you didn't read my post fully, fatal car accidents are permanent. "Teen drivers in this age group have a fatal crash rate almost three times as high as drivers ages 20"

In South Dakota having children at 16 is permanent.

If "you" feel its a good reason to "RAISE" the age to drive and have children to 18 rather than lower the age to 16 when someone can make a decision on whether they want gender treatment reinforces my views in my initial post.

Much more thought should have been taken before enacting this law.

My personal opinion, by the age of 16 you are mature enough to know so long as there is adequate counselling first.

You're not going to get much serious thought from super maga extremists like Noem.

• Like 1

Nobody is advocating pushing children.

That's a fear mongering red herring.

The what's taught and discussed in schools and fascist laws to make LGBT people invisible is really separate from fascist laws that seek to ban and criminalize medical care. This topic is the latter 

Of course this is political!!!!!

It's interesting how American maga fascism and Putin fascism are quite aligned on these types of issues.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/trans-people-right-wing-media

The Narrative on Trans Rights Is Being Shaped by Right-Wing Media

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's the crazies that make these common sense laws necessary. By crazies I mean the very small % of out population who takes things just way too far.

I call BS.

If your theory applies then why aren't assault weapons banned when there are multiple mass gun massacres of children?

Please be honest.

These laws are about hatred and intolerance of an especially unpopular minority passed only for political.gain.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, Black Ops said:

South Dakota is set to prohibit nearly all forms of gender-affirming treatment for transgender minors after a proposed law gained sweeping approval through its state legislature.

The state Senate passed a House bill banning surgical and non-surgical gender-affirming treatment for minors on Thursday in a 30-4 vote, advancing the legislation to Gov. Kristi Noem’s desk. Noem will sign the bill into law, a spokesperson for the Republican governor told CNN on Friday.

The legislation bars puberty blocking medication in patients under the age of 18, as well as sex hormones and surgery related to gender transition.

Good. At least one government on earth has common sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it is very common indeed to advance in politics by oppressing hated minorities.

It is you politicizing this. You are also using words like "hated minority" to promote a victim culture.  To the contrary, your oppressed minority is all about political gain and controlling speech as the undermine the rights women and gay populations have for for decades.   

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

It is you politicizing this. You are also using words like "hated minority" to promote a victim culture. 

Trans Americans suffer violence and murders at higher levels.

The righr wing doesn't care.

In fact they inflame it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Actually these laws will directly result in more suicides of trans youth. 

Nobody has suggested that trans youths should lack support or access to counselling until. It has also been suggested that gay, lesbian and bisexual youths are equally likely to consider or commit suicide due to stigmatization.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Nobody has suggested that trans youths should lack support or access to counselling until. It has also been suggested that gay, lesbian and bisexual youths are equally likely to consider or commit suicide due to stigmatization.

The subject here is trans  non binary etc.

LGB people are generally cisgender and don't need gender affirming medical care.

While it's true that the American right wing is usually but not always anti LGBTQ civil rights in general, trans, non binary, drag queens etc. have been selected by the republican bigots for extra special scapegoating. 

• Like 2

I will also add that NOT taking puberty blockers is an irreversible decision. Those trans people that do will have a great lifetime benefit for having done so before puberty .

No politician fascist maga or otherwise should dictate such momentous decisions. 

Of course nobody is suggesting that medical and psychological screening isn't needed for such things.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Gun laws is a different topic as you well know.

Don't you want laws to protect our youth from making mistakes which will effect them for the rest of their lives? It's a shame that plain common sense doesn't work anymore and laws have to be passed.

Bait ignored.

32 minutes ago, xylophone said:

A guy back in the UK has jumped onto this "woke" bandwagon and has written to the NHS telling them that he "identifies" as a monkey, in which case he has asked for a weekly delivery of bananas to his house, so as not to be discriminated against.

Not a joke 

These maga fascists are criminalizing medically neccessary health care to a demonized minority just to get more votes. That is EVIL.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gender-dysphoria/symptoms-causes/syc-20475255

"Adolescents and adults with gender dysphoria without gender-affirming treatment might be at risk of thinking about or attempting suicide."

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The only people who should be involved in approving or denying gender-affirming care are the parents, the doctors and the medical ethics committee.  

Gender dysphoria is a diagnosable condition.  There is treatment for it, and laws like this are both discriminatory toward a mental condition and a denial of treatment.  

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, Credo said:

The only people who should be involved in approving or denying gender-affirming care are the parents, the doctors and the medical ethics committee.  

Gender dysphoria is a diagnosable condition.  There is treatment for it, and laws like this are both discriminatory toward a mental condition and a denial of treatment.  

Yes exactly.

As I'm not a medical professional, I have wondered in what situations surgery would be appropriate before 18. The needs for hormones and puberty blockers for some selected people is obvious. For surgery, all I could think of are people born with ambiguous genitals who are declared a gender at birth and then it turns out the person doesn't think they are that gender at all! That would likely happen very early in such a child's life. I assume that in such cases surgery to make their genitals fit their gender identity would be a huge benefit to them socially and psychologically as they grow up. 

But hey, these right winger demogogues really don't care about these children. Let's make it all illegal! That'll make them a maga-rific winner. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes exactly.

As I'm not a medical professional, I have wondered in what situations surgery would be appropriate before 18. The needs for hormones and puberty blockers for some selected people is obvious. For surgery, all I could think of are people born with ambiguous genitals who are declared a gender at birth and then it turns out the person doesn't think they are that gender at all! That would likely happen very early in such a child's life. I assume that in such cases surgery to make their genitals fit their gender identity would be a huge benefit to them socially and psychologically as they grow up. 

But hey, these right winger demogogues really don't care about these children. Let's make it all illegal! That'll make them a maga-rific winner. 

There are some case studies involving young children that clearly suffering from dysphoria.  I'll see if I can find a link to it.  I know one was a young boy, who at 2, tried to cut his penis off because it didn't belong there.  There is also the case of an infant boy whose penis was badly injured in a botched circumcision.  The decision was made to change the sex to female and raise him as a girl.  The upshot of that case is that he spent his life identifying as male.  No amount of hormones, puberty blockers or surgeries could change his perception of himself.   

One of the more definitive methods of determining gender-identity is through brain scans.  The brain operates differently between males and females.  Those with gender dysphoria will show a scan that identifies with a gender different from the one assigned at birth.   

But, hey, surely a legislature has more insight than neurologists, neuro psychiatrists, endocrinologists, psychologists, the patient and the parents.  

• Thanks 1