Dog Bite

Neeranam

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Bang Keow. 

Two dogs were growling near one of their dinner bowls. The big one then bit the small one, so I grabbed the big one by the scruff and he turned round and bit me. 

As I've been told many times never touch a dog when eating but I was saving the smaller one. 

The one big thing I insist on with my two dogs is that I can take their food/treat/toy off them at any time. I train them as puppies.  It marks you out as the pack leader and is a basic need with pet dogs. If I even get a growl, a sharp voice telling off will send them away, tails down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

The one big thing I insist on with my two dogs is that I can take their food/treat/toy off them at any time. I train them as puppies.  It marks you out as the pack leader and is a basic need with pet dogs. If I even get a growl, a sharp voice telling off will send them away, tails down. 

I agree, unfortunately we acquired this one dog when he was older. 

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'll get a jab. 

Not rabies, as my dogs get a vaccine fir that. 

As this has been brought up by various posters:

Current guidelines (WHO, American CDC, Thai Red Cross) don't care about this. 

Neither do they care if the dog never leaves the garden. 

(Reason: rabies is 100% deadly, vaccine is very well tolerated)

So these posters are right:

You should get post exposure prophylaxis: 4 shots of vaccine plus 1 shot of immunoglobulin if you have never had rabies vaccine.  If you were vaccinated before, only 2 shots of vaccine. (There are other vaccination schedules, too)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I know someone who was charged 550Bt for one shot at my local government hospital. If I ever have to go to that hospital I will give it a miss and go to the next one 12 Ks away.

So you are confused? Is there something wrong with my English or what?

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Bang Keow. 

Two dogs were growling near one of their dinner bowls. The big one then bit the small one, so I grabbed the big one by the scruff and he turned round and bit me. 

As I've been told many times never touch a dog when eating but I was saving the smaller one. 

Your own dogs should NEVER bite you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Is the dog vaccinated against, among other things Rabies? Dogs teeth are full of all kinds of nasty bacteria, so a good wash out with blue alcohol and an antiseptic plaster is sensible.  The case for a tetanus jab is more debatable. If you say your dogs never leave a protected garden then I probably wouldnt bother, but if you would feel happier,  then go ahead.  Just don't let the clinic give you the whole rabies treatment, if your dogs are protected.   This from the UK NHS help line:

See a GP or contact NHS 111 if you're concerned about a wound, particularly if:

• the wound is deep
  • the wound contains dirt or a foreign object
  • you have not been fully vaccinated against tetanus
  • you're not sure whether you have been fully vaccinated against tetanus

NHS guidelines don't apply to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got bit by a small puppy in 1993 while out my morning run.  Puppy was attached by a leash to its owner.  At first I didn't think anything of it as it just jumped up by the back side of my right knee.  About 400m later I had to stop at a traffic light.  I looked down at my leg and saw a small trickle of blood.  Needless to say I was very <deleted> off about this as I knew I had to go to the hospital and have it taken care of.  The puppy's teeth were so sharp it just went in and out without much damage.  I went to the hospital and they took care of it.  Cleaned it really well and got my shot as well.  Had to follow up with about four more as was the practice back then.  Nurse asked me if it hurt while she was cleaning and I said, "yes, the dog biting me didn't even hurt this bad or for this long".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Read my post about the 550Bt charge for one jab. Yes at a government hospital. Since the pandemic, some members of the medical profession are going daft with their prices.

Bloody rip off at Bkk hospital. No option to see a doctor for 2 minutes and over 800 baht, plus another 600 baht. 

And when waiting saw a Facebook post by wife about not getting flowers, another 500 baht ????

• Thanks 1

I would have bitten the dog on the snout hard or kicked it hard in the guts to assert yourself as the alpha. Wolf handlers kick the <deleted> out of them when they don't follow alpha rules

This is how its done and thats a wolf

Edited by whereyougo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Bang Keow. 

I can pull food out of my dogs mouth - and sometimes have to if food is dropped and it's not good for doggy. 

He doesn't bite at all under any circumstances. I'd get rid of it. It'll happen again. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure what you men but let it all out. You know nothing about my dog's history, so remember that when replying. 

what I do know comes from your own mouth!   Your dog isn't trained very well which let it out in general so typical of a Thai owning dogs here. You in the right club and country! 

Just glad it wasn't Pit bull!  LOL

Edited by thailand49
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

I can pull food out of my dogs mouth - and sometimes have to if food is dropped and it's not good for doggy. 

He doesn't bite at all under any circumstances. I'd get rid of it. It'll happen again. 

The dog in question is competing for food with another dog! This is probably why the dogs instinct for food aggression is front and center imop

How many dogs are you feeding at once?

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

what I do know comes from your own mouth!   Your dog isn't trained very well which let it out in general so typical of a Thai owning dogs here. You in the right club and country! 

Just glad it wasn't Pit bull!  LOL

Did you not notice I was asking for medical advice. 

I was alway told not to give advice on matters I was never asked. 

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Strange sentence in the 21st century.  How is it possible ?  BTW, I don't have those up-to-date shots.

In the whole world,  out of tens of thousands of rabies deaths, there are a handful of survivors. 

So it's only 99.999% deadly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Oh do me a favour mate. They are universal guidelines, not restricted to the UK.  Anyone should be able to see that, clearly not in your case. 

The UK has been free of rabies for 20 years.  So they handle dog bites differently from countries like Thailand where rabies is endemic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Did you not notice I was asking for medical advice. 

I was alway told not to give advice on matters I was never asked. 

Yes I did notice maybe you should just stick to responding to that advice. 

You ask me to air it out so I did exactly as instructed now your a bit sensitive to it you want to pick and chose might want to go to page one and count your responses to none medical responses.  

Sounds like it isn't your dog the only one biting that small scratch worked it way through the blood stream fast?  

6 hours ago, riclag said:

The dog in question is competing for food with another dog! This is probably why the dogs instinct for food aggression is front and center imop

How many dogs are you feeding at once?

Indeed, never touch a dog when eating, even your own. 

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Yes I did notice maybe you should just stick to responding to that advice. 

You ask me to air it out so I did exactly as instructed now your a bit sensitive to it you want to pick and chose might want to go to page one and count your responses to none medical responses.  

Sounds like it isn't your dog the only one biting that small scratch worked it way through the blood stream fast?  

Yes, I can pick and choose who I reply to, separate the trolls. 

I'll never reply to your racial, troll posts again, as I won't see them. 

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, I can pick and choose who I reply to, separate the trolls. 

I'll never reply to your racial, troll posts again, as I won't see them. 

Troll?  I was just kind of testing and teaching a theory on you?  I know you wont see this but a bit of clarification to others.

My original response you " Sorry you got bitten in part "  You requested me to say what I needed which I did, response you didn't like it. 

My theory,  Since you are Thai? and posting generally on a foreign board in the past have been sensitive and defensive towards comments on this board towards Thais which is the

majority.

You ask for criticism basically but can't take it that is the crust of what the conversation is all about that is really funny coming from a teacher who suppose to teach? 

Edited by thailand49

Meanwhile, the dog population in Pratumnak, Pattaya is steadily growing and it is getting more uncomfortable to walk around, specially at night. I know some people are fine with stray dogs, but they frighten me and an awful lot of other people

12 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Meanwhile, the dog population in Pratumnak, Pattaya is steadily growing and it is getting more uncomfortable to walk around, specially at night. I know some people are fine with stray dogs, but they frighten me and an awful lot of other people

More evidence that the Soi dog foundation's boast of taking measures that control the population is nonsense, Over the past 20 years they have neutered an average of around 100 dogs a day, nationwide. These people are deluded, what they are doing is like trying to empty a sinking boat filling with water with saucepan. Makes them and the doggie lovers feel good but in reality the soi dog population keeps on growing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, proton said:

More evidence that the Soi dog foundation's boast of taking measures that control the population is nonsense, Over the past 20 years they have neutered an average of around 100 dogs a day, nationwide. These people are deluded, what they are doing is like trying to empty a sinking boat filling with water with saucepan. Makes them and the doggie lovers feel good but in reality the soi dog population keeps on growing.

yeah - I am a dog owner but think the only answer is a cull. But 'dog lovers' say culls don't work - because apparently dead dogs can reproduce. 

• Like 1