No ED Visa for over 50s

43 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So are you the Musician Skallywag? If not your using a name illegally as well. If not then this must be you, or is it.

Screenshot_20230215_094602_Google.jpg

Good one.  That photo is from a music festival in Austin, Texas called Skallywag, not someones made up name.  

Skallywag: " a person who behaves badly but in an amusingly mischievous rather than harmful way; a rascal."

15 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Good one.  That photo is from a music festival in Austin, Texas called Skallywag, not someones made up name.  

Skallywag: " a person who behaves badly but in an amusingly mischievous rather than harmful way; a rascal."

A word regularly used by my grandfather when referencing anyone under the age of 15. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, FreddieMercury said:

The lady down the road from me uses an agent and has a one year visa. Might have a chat with her. 
The 'this is your last visa waiver" convo with the IO at Phuket a few days ago was odd. Posted about it on a separate thread. 

20 hours ago, FreddieMercury said:

The lady down the road from me uses an agent and has a one year visa. Might have a chat with her. 
The 'this is your last visa waiver" convo with the IO at Phuket a few days ago was odd. Posted about it on a separate thread. 

What exactly do you mean when you use the word 'CONVO' this is a word I am not familiar with?

15 hours ago, FreddieMercury said:

Yes. It's all a bit messy.

It's typical of Thai government policy! They make the system as messy as they can in order to keep the foreigners confused. I have lived in Thailand for the past 21 years with my Thai wife, but I have never been able to understand the system here. When my wife and I lived in the UK; for 5 years, we both understood the do's and don'ts of the system, and we never had any trouble in living there. The only problem with living in the UK was that it was so very expensive we couldn't stay there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Skallywags is a musical group unfortunately and from the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

An ed-visa you can get without having to grease palms.  Pushing you to get a retirement visa is making an agent appear attractive.

It wasn't so in 2019. "Greasing palms" was directly told to all the ED students I knew that to 'guarantee' your 90 day stamp it was standard practice for ALL ED holders (from a large section of the language schools on the island I spoke with anyways) to be encouraged to pay 5000 baht for the 90 day extension instead of the 1900 baht scheduled fee.

Otherwise there was a clear threat, discussed by me with my school headmaster as the way I.O. want it and if i wished to not pay the 5000 I had to be prepared to having my extension refused (and that he knew of happening many times of the 'fee' was paid).

There was no delineation between scammers using the ED to stay a year from valid students who attended classes a few times a week studied and who were diligent in learning, like me.

If there was a kickback to the schools I saw nothing of that, but what I did see, every time I went to my extension stamp, was my 5000 disappear along with my passport, form, and money go into a tray and then the hands of I.O. along with piles of others passports also with 5000 in them!

I have thankfully passed through that visa type and onto a retirement visa now and a smooth I.O. experience now. 

Every other student felt the same way as me about this; 'not happy Jan' as the Aussie advertisement proclaimed.

Despite most of us realising and to a degree accepting that in some sections of government operations in LOS there is graft and corruption and to be able to stay and study, which I really enjoyed, prior to deciding to retire there was simply 2 clear choices.

Maybe its changed now but back then (I was told by a few different schools students) that this extortion had been in place for years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Skallywag said:

You may get a bigger surprise if the family of your username has a lawyer contact you.  It is illegal to use celebrity names online as your username here or elsewhere. 5555

Mathilda Mercury here. My brother Freddie says it's perfectly okay to borrow his name for humorous purposes.

Freddie faked his own death - it was a mere cold, not full-blown AIDS - as he wanted to retire and keep a low profile.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, connda said:

Can you hear that sound?  That's that sound of Mexico beckoning

Or the Philippines, only a cheap 3.5 hour flight away from BKK. You can enter Visa Exempt, keep extending (for a fee) for upto 3 years then leave for 1 day, return and start again. No hassles from immigration either. A few US friends been here over 3 years 

• Thumbs Up 1