Ordering new computer

Brickleberry

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO there are only very few cases where users really need the latest and best. Computers which are 1 or 2 years old are still very good for almost anything (if they have enough RAM, etc.).

ThinkPads have since many years very good quality, great drivers support, etc. They also have great options like on site premium support when you buy them for reasonable prices.

If you don't care if the computer doesn't work for a week or two, then there are for sure cheaper options. But if you want a good product which if it fails (coffee spill, whatever) will be repaired within a day or two then ThinkPads are definitely a good choice.

I apologize, I should have clicked further in, rather than reading the front page only.

They're 12 gen processors, its gen 6 of the Legion range they were talking about!

I agree, the prices are very reasonable for the latest tech. No 13th gen processors, but I don't think anyone has them yet.

8 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

Buying a new system in Thailand is frightfully expensive, considering the chips inside them are a few years behind.

Is there a way to order a good system from abroad?

"Is there a way to order a good system from abroad?"

There's a new-fangled concept that has just been introduced called online shopping, I think it's going to catch on...give it a try.  There's a thing called "Google" that would assist also.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, Brickleberry said:

I was hoping to hear from others who have ordered from abroad,

I have bought multiple laptops from abroad using primarily two systems. Firstly using Amazon to a shipping agent in the US with tax free address. The agent just charged Fedex fee and a 7% import fee on my declared cost and courier fee. Second method was from Amazon direct to Thailand where the courier of Amazon's choice (UPS) applies an import fee and its all paid upfront by Amazon. The Shipito method was cheaper for me, in both cased delivery took about 4-5 days.

I just (few months ago) ordered a new Intel NUC an SSD and RAM from B & H in the US and I think I did okay price wise. Paid all the tax and duty up-front so not surprises. Got it in like three days too.

Dell is a rip-off in Thailand as they target western companies that mandate their offices use Dell. I know that's how we got stuck with them.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, Brickleberry said:

I need a new laptop, rather than a desktop. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

Laptop specs are really low for the prices being asked (IMO).

One of my favorite ultrabook laptops(Acer Swift 3 with I5 or Ryzen5)) is on Lazada for about 18,000 baht. Super light at 1.2kg, plenty of ports, exceptional screen, thumbprint sensor, lighted keyboard. 

12 hours ago, Furioso said:

One of my favorite ultrabook laptops(Acer Swift 3 with I5 or Ryzen5)) is on Lazada for about 18,000 baht. Super light at 1.2kg, plenty of ports, exceptional screen, thumbprint sensor, lighted keyboard. 

I have an Acer Swift i5, 14", 8GB/512 I bought in Aug '08 and I like it, but I hate the keyboard. It seems a bit sketchy and the backlighting is cr*p. 

My last computer I ordered from B & H in the US, had it delivered here and saved a good bit over local prices.

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I have an Acer Swift i5, 14", 8GB/512 I bought in Aug '08 and I like it, but I hate the keyboard. It seems a bit sketchy and the backlighting is cr*p. 

You might want to check out SoulOfTech's 2021 YT review of the 11th Gen i5 Acer Swift 3(the SF314 versions). He was quite impressed. 

On 2/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, ozimoron said:

That's going to be the case for all laptops. try Dell in Bangkok for an Alienware laptop. Be prepared to pay. I prefer mini computers these days as I am only semi mobile and I just buy an external monitor if I don't want to travel with one. It's way cheaper and lighter (without the monitor). 

I built a Intel NUC with i5, all parts bought from Lazada during the Covid two years I was kind of stuck in Thailand. It may be $100 more expensive than doing it in the USA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

You might want to check out SoulOfTech's 2021 YT review of the 11th Gen i5 Acer Swift 3(the SF314 versions). He was quite impressed. 

I'm glad he was impressed, I was not. It's okay, and I'm using it, I just don't like the keyboard.

I'm not in the market for another laptop. 

59 minutes ago, Faltu said:

I built a Intel NUC with i5, all parts bought from Lazada during the Covid two years I was kind of stuck in Thailand. It may be $100 more expensive than doing it in the USA. 

This is what I got a few months ago, the NUC is still the same price, but I paid about $50 more for the SSD and $11 more for the RAM: 

Nuc.jpg.9a2c86f63aca48c753bf364b595da129.jpg

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

My last computer I ordered from B & H in the US, had it delivered here and saved a good bit over local prices.

I am about to purchase a new note book my main concern is a want a clear picture and a 16in screen, whats your thoughts on this model, i would order on US amazon and have it sent to my buddy and he would send to Thailand.

ASUS VivoBook Pro 16X OLED Slim Laptop, 16" 4K 16:10 Display, AMD Ryzen 9 6900H CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 11 Home, 0°Black, M7600RE-XB99,Gray
$1,549.99 + tax around $130

6 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I am about to purchase a new note book my main concern is a want a clear picture and a 16in screen, whats your thoughts on this model, i would order on US amazon and have it sent to my buddy and he would send to Thailand.

ASUS VivoBook Pro 16X OLED Slim Laptop, 16" 4K 16:10 Display, AMD Ryzen 9 6900H CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Windows 11 Home, 0°Black, M7600RE-XB99,Gray
$1,549.99 + tax around $130

That looks like a good price and configuration. I had this Asus before the Acer and really liked it, but it had a motherboard issue (which had to be replaced) and later it had a charging issue (the connection). Great display and keyboard.  I bought it in January of 2018 while I visiting the US and it was $799. Be advised, unless something had changed, Asus would not honor the warranty on my motherboard, which blew.

Asus.jpg.5e59234b388f7325ed065cebb6d81ed9.jpg

Be advised, if you're friend sends something to you and you try to avoid the VAT and duty you may end up paying significantly more, and shipping will cost more than if you ship it direct. 

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That looks like a good price and configuration. I had this Asus before the Acer and really liked it, but it had a motherboard issue (which had to be replaced) and later it had a charging issue (the connection). Great display and keyboard.  I bought it in January of 2018 while I visiting the US and it was $799. Be advised, unless something had changed, Asus would not honor the warranty on my motherboard, which blew.

Asus.jpg.5e59234b388f7325ed065cebb6d81ed9.jpg

Be advised, if you're friend sends something to you and you try to avoid the VAT and duty you may end up paying significantly more, and shipping will cost more than if you ship it direct. 

He has sent me lots of items and they are marked returned after repair, regarding tax if he  purchased the item in the US would he still have to pay the $130 tax ?

If sent direct to my thai address the want the following

Order Summary

Items: $1,549.99
Shipping & handling: $38.65

Total before tax: $1,588.64
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit: $279.70

Order total: $1,868.34

Edited by Isan Farang

3 hours ago, Furioso said:

Just bought 2022 Swift X SFX14 AMD Ryzen 5000 for AUD 680.

Brilliant machine!

I just bought an Apple mac mini m2 with 16Gb RAM and 512 Gb storage for 39,500 baht. 

Even though it's not the most powerful machine for the money, my reasoning was reliability and stability and macos still allows me everything ubuntu has for app development. I hate windows operating system. Also the ARM CPU uses a third of the power of any equivalent CPU and has no fan, adding to reliability and isn't susceptible to dust issues. 

19 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Just bought 2022 Swift X SFX14 AMD Ryzen 5000 for AUD 680.

Brilliant machine!

Wow, that is really a lot of machine for the AUD. I think you're model comes with an expansion slot, very nice. Lot's of battery life too. I don't know about you but I can't live without a backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader ever again. Congrats on your new purchase LL!

• Like 1