Keeping American cell provider and phone number abroad

InlandSea

16 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I have a T Mobile USA number that is $3.00 per month.  I get a very limited number of minutes which I never use and a limited number of SMS messages before I start to get charged ten cents for each.  

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans/pay-go

image.png.8970fce3c288105ca4354528352532bb.png

That is the Ultra Mobile Paygo SIM. Their embedded eBay link is dead but searching on eBay manually gives me the Paygo SIM for $15.99

I assume once you pay that, you subscribe to the $3/month package.

This SIM, once registered in the US, will work for sms messages on a Thai mobile network? Or does some other setup options need to be done while still in the US for this to work?

I see eBay also lists some pre-activated Paygo SIM cards. The 'most popular one for $39.95 has 60-days validity. For a total of $86.95, they will also precharge it with $35 credit which gives 1-year validity. This option allows you to select a zip or area code and they'll acquire a local number for that selection.

This Ultra Mobile SIM Card (PayGo) is used in any unlocked phone that supports VoLTE (4G & 5G) service.  It can be used in the USA and International (Roaming Fees Apply), or enable WIFI Calling and pay no roaming fees if outside the USA.

Ultra Mobile SIM Card

• Ultra-Mobile $3/mo. pre-paid plan!
  • Uses T-Mobile Towers
  • 100 Minutes & 100 Texts & 100 MB per month
  • Service Pre-Activated!
  • Cancel service anytime
  • Service available in the USA
  • No International Roaming Fees if using WIFI Calling
    • or, International roaming fees apply if using cellular towers outside the USA.
This SIM Card comes pre-activated from the date it is shipped.  It also comes with 30-days of service; including 100 minutes, 100 text messages, and 100 MB of data.  It works anywhere in the USA where T-Mobile's 4G LTE towers are available.  Unlocked 5G or 4G VoLTE device required.

We assign a new phone number and generate an online account for you, so all you have to do is logon and add a payment method for recurring billing.  Or, if you do not want to enroll in automatic payments, you can simply logon to your online account and make your $3/month payment every 30-days.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This morning, I was tidying up the numbers in my PayPal US account and they wouldn't accept the Vyke number for registration (can't use VOIP numbers).

Just checked my UK PayPal account. I changed it to a UK Vyke VOIP mobile number last year. No problems then but maybe wouldn't be accepted today? 

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This SIM, once registered in the US, will work for sms messages on a Thai mobile network? Or does some other setup options need to be done while still in the US for this to work?

The regular UltraMobile PayGo SIM, which provides the $3 a month service plan, initially has to be activated on their mobile network in the U.S.  And after that, can be used on a roaming basis in Thailand and via wifi calling.

The pre-activated ones are a different deal.

Verizon offers an international plan where you only pay when you either answer a call or make calls. Voicemails you receive aren't charged. So, for instance, you need to make several calls. If you make all of them on the same day then there is one charge regardless of the number of calls. So, each week, check your voice msgs. Determine which ones can wait and then make all the calls the same day. One charge. I forget the cost but I think it's only something like $5 or $10 US.

Check with Verizon. You can keep your current phone so all your contacts can still reach you. Respond to them as you want. As I said, you can talk for 24 hours in a single day and there is just one charge. Check it out.

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The regular UltraMobile PayGo SIM, which provides the $3 a month service plan, initially has to be activated on their mobile network in the U.S.  And after that, can be used on a roaming basis in Thailand and via wifi calling.

The pre-activated ones are a different deal.

What's the 'different deal'  between being pre-activated by these online vendors or my friend activating one for me while he is in the US and bringing it to Thailand? What's a 'regular' UltraMobile PayGo SIM as opposed to these being offered?

394503100156https://www.ebay.com/itm/394503100156

Edited by NanLaew

14 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Verizon offers an international plan where you only pay when you either answer a call or make calls. Voicemails you receive aren't charged. So, for instance, you need to make several calls. If you make all of them on the same day then there is one charge regardless of the number of calls. So, each week, check your voice msgs. Determine which ones can wait and then make all the calls the same day. One charge. I forget the cost but I think it's only something like $5 or $10 US.

Check with Verizon. You can keep your current phone so all your contacts can still reach you. Respond to them as you want. As I said, you can talk for 24 hours in a single day and there is just one charge. Check it out.

I no longer have a current US number. I let my at&t number go after the email address that came free with their service was compromised in a LinkedIn and Facebook 'data scrape' about two years ago.

I am looking for a bulletproof method to comply with the two factor authentication (2FA) that most US financial and commercial businesses require when a client, who is is not in the US, is doing online transactions. Voice and data is a low-order priority.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What's the 'different deal'  between being pre-activated by these online vendors or my friend activating one for me while he is in the US and bringing it to Thailand?

The price for one thing....

"I see eBay also lists some pre-activated Paygo SIM cards. The 'most popular one for $39.95 has 60-days validity. For a total of $86.95, they will also precharge it with $35 credit which gives 1-year validity."

As opposed to:

"Paygo SIM for $15.99" and then "the $3/month package."

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong or bad with going the prepaid/pre-activated route... Just saying it's different from the cheaper, unactivated SIM followed by $3 monthly charges.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The price for one thing....

"I see eBay also lists some pre-activated Paygo SIM cards. The 'most popular one for $39.95 has 60-days validity. For a total of $86.95, they will also precharge it with $35 credit which gives 1-year validity."

As opposed to:

"Paygo SIM for $15.99" and then "the $3/month package."

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong or bad with going the prepaid/pre-activated route... Just saying it's different from the cheaper, unactivated SIM followed by $3 monthly charges.

OK, I see your point.

I want it activated with a US number in the US before it comes here and tries to register on a local network. I also want something that I don't need to set a short-term reminder to either top up or extend. Due to my travels, I may find I am in a country where it doesn't work and is otherwise inaccessible when it needs topping up or extending. Eighty seven bucks for 12 months of service isn't a budget-breaker for me as long as it is reliable.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Just checked my UK PayPal account. I changed it to a UK Vyke VOIP mobile number last year. No problems then but maybe wouldn't be accepted today? 

Thanks for that. I only signed up with Vyke with a US number last month as it passed the to/from tests with friends here, the US and elsewhere but more importantly, my US bank accepted it whereas before it had rejected my Skype number. I was a bit miffed when PayPal US decided Vyke wasn't kosher as well!

I think that they are all getting cagey with VOIP numbers, hence my pursuing the 'old' tech of a SIM that will truly roam internationally but won't cost the proverbial arm and a leg for maybe only two dozen short-code sms a year.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

OK, I see your point.

I want it activated with a US number in the US before it comes here and tries to register on a local network. I also want something that I don't need to set a short-term reminder to either top up or extend. Due to my travels, I may find I am in a country where it doesn't work and is otherwise inaccessible when it needs topping up or extending. Eighty seven bucks for 12 months of service isn't a budget-breaker for me as long as it is reliable.

I don't know how PayGo handles their payment exactly...

But I have the original T-Mobile $3 a month plan (that T-Mobile itself no longer offers to new customers). They don't directly charge me every month... But instead, deduct the $3 monthly fee from my prepaid balance with them. So... I typically will deposit via bank card payment $20 or so using the T-M prepaid website...and then that covers my expense with them for a 6 month or so period. Then it's time to top up my prepaid balance again.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know how PayGo handles their payment exactly...

You can recharge your PayGo plan by:
  • Visiting an Ultra Mobile Authorized Retailer
  • Using PayGo Recharge cards available at T-Mobile retail stores
  • Paying online via debit/credit card by logging into your account at my.ultramobile.com
  • Contacting our Care Team at 888-777-0446
  • You can also set up your PayGo account to automatically Recharge your PayGo Wallet each month via credit or debit card. You can activate Auto Renew by completing the steps below.
    1. Log in to your account
    2. Add a credit or debit card under Billing Info
    3. Select “Auto Renew On”
    4. Choose $5, $10 or $20 for your Auto Renew denomination ($3 will automatically be applied to your monthly plan renewal)
    5. Click “Save Settings”
11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But I have the original T-Mobile $3 a month plan (that T-Mobile itself no longer offers to new customers). They don't directly charge me every month... But instead, deduct the $3 monthly fee from my prepaid balance with them. So... I typically will deposit via bank card payment $20 or so using the T-M prepaid website...and then that covers my expense with them for a 6 month or so period. Then it's time to top up my prepaid balance again.

Several of my friends in the US also have T-Mobile 'original' accounts and swear how easy they are to roam, here in Thailand and elsewhere and not overly expensive if one needs to make a call.

On another note, I was locked out of my US eBay account yesterday (more than 90-days since last login) and it needed to send an authorization code to the number on file which was my old, expired Skype number. I called their 1-866 number using Vyke and was connected quickly with a human being where it was relatively easy to pass security screening and regain account access. I went to my account settings and changed the contact number to my Vyke number and eBay accepted it. The Vyke call cost about 7 cents.

• Love It 1

Since the OP mentioned Mint, and other Mint users have chimed in, and many of us use UltraMobile...

T‑Mobile to Acquire and Turbocharge Mint Mobile and Ultra Mobile, Brands Will Continue Delivering Value on the Un‑carrier’s 5G Network

Bellevue, Wash. – March 15, 2023 – T-Mobile US (NASDAQ: TMUS) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Ka’ena Corporation and its subsidiaries and brands: Mint Mobile, a successful direct-to-consumer (D2C) prepaid wireless brand in the U.S.; Ultra Mobile, a unique wireless service offering international calling options to communities across the country; and wholesaler Plum.

With this deal, the brands’ exclusive use of the Un-carrier’s largest, fastest and most reliable 5G network will continue. T-Mobile is acquiring the brands' sales, marketing, digital, and service operations, and plans to use its supplier relationships and distribution scale to help the brands to grow and offer competitive pricing and greater device inventory to more U.S. consumers seeking value offerings. The Un-carrier will also be able to leverage Mint’s industry-leading digital D2C marketing expertise as part of its broader portfolio to reach new customer segments and geographies. The Mint and Ultra brands are complementary to the company’s current prepaid service offerings Metro by T-Mobile, T-Mobile branded prepaid and Connect by T-Mobile.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/business/t-mobile-to-acquire-mint-and-ultra-mobile

Who knows what impacts this might have on us as customers. Hopefully none.

And this may be why the $13 UltraMobile SIM was unavailable on eBay, and that it might reappear?

Nevermind, it looks like the $13 UM SIM is now available on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/str/mintmobilewireless

Use a VPN with a U.S. IP address to "see" this $13 UM SIM.

I've activated two of these with help of family in the U.S. I even ported my old TMo number into UM, during one activation. I created accounts with UM, then during the realtime activation used the SMS sent to activate the account. It was surprisingly simple. Then I had the SIM mailed to me here. I use WiFi calling, but it can be tricky depending on the handset, so I default to the GSM roaming and pay for the SMS. All that said I use GoogleVoice for 100% of my SMS OTPs without issue, across dozens of accounts, multiple times per day.

Edited by bamnutsak

I have T-mobile $ 3/m PayGo Pre-Paid plan and it's been working great.

However, now I wanted to open an hi interest CD in the States and they rejected my application in 4 banks because my phone number is not registered! They say "they don't know who I am..."

I got $3.m plan to save money and not to get lot of junk SMS mail and calls. I've no problem register my number but don't know where and how! IRS and SSA has accepted this number.

I talked to all the banks and they were very evasive what's the problem. I thought it crazy when I've been customer for 20+ year they still do this to me - an old and current customer.

"Salt to wounds"; I called and ordered Free Annual Credit Report. It was rejected because of my "phone number is not valid...."

I googled and found this;

" The IRS, many banks, and some online retailers use Boku Mobile Identity to check customer records at mobile operators. The service lets them verify that the information that the customer provided is the same as what's in their mobile account. They can verify all of these attributes with the mobile carrier: customer name, mobile number, billing address, driver's license number (if the mobile carrier has it), and date of birth. "

I think it's very unusual banks use "shady" private company for important information, and even IRS!

Has anyone same problem? Do you know how to register my Pre-paid number?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Has anyone same problem? Do you know how to register my Pre-paid number?

I think the difference you're addressing is mostly that between prepaid phone plans and postpaid phone plans...

I've run into the same block, sometimes, with my free Google Voice number and even my prepaid TM $3 a month number....

Which is why I also keep a postpaid Ting (TM MVNO) number for those relatively rare instances where the others aren't accepted.

A postpaid account is usually tied to a particular residential address, whereas the prepaid numbers aren't necessarily so.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:24 AM, bamnutsak said:

All that said I use GoogleVoice for 100% of my SMS OTPs without issue, across dozens of accounts, multiple times per day.

In my recent experience, GoogleVoice needs a non-VOIP number as part of their application procedure for getting a GV number.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

In my recent experience, GoogleVoice needs a non-VOIP number as part of their application procedure for getting a GV number.

Could be. I signed up for my two GV numbers many years ago when I was in the U.S. and used existing mobile phone numbers for registration/verification procedures.

I'd recommend asking a family member/friend to enroll in GV on your behalf.

• Thanks 1

I use TEXTNOW, a FREE service, unlimited text and voice calls.  I have a US ( Kentucky by choice ) number that rings on my Thai mobile (apk) as long as I have a DATA or WiFi connection

They also have a paid service - remove small ad's and a free sim service in US. I also use it for US banking. OTP and etc.

IF you have a connection  problem,=>>UPDATE<<= the apk< happened 1 time in 2 years

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edwardflory said:

I use TEXTNOW, a FREE service, unlimited text and voice calls.  I have a US ( Kentucky by choice ) number that rings on my Thai mobile (apk) as long as I have a DATA or WiFi connection

They also have a paid service - remove small ad's and a free sim service in US. I also use it for US banking. OTP and etc.

IF you have a connection  problem,=>>UPDATE<<= the apk< happened 1 time in 2 years

Last I recall, TextNow made a change to their network whereby they supposedly would only enable bank sms SHORT CODE messages for folks on their PAID plans, and not for those on their free plan.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Last I recall, TextNow made a change to their network whereby they supposedly would only enable bank sms SHORT CODE messages for folks on their PAID plans, and not for those on their free plan.

Correct.

Not specific to US service providers but I was disappointed that the new phone I bought in the UK in late 2021 wasn't eSIM compatible. I only became aware of eSIM technology in 2022. While looking at US service providers a few months ago and with a friend visiting in the US, I pondered getting an eSIM and a new phone to use it in. A more recent search came up with this solution from a German company.

https://esim.me/

OK it's a card that goes in the SIM slot but in conjunction with their app installed in the phone, it enables eSIM compatibility in phones that don't have it built in.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:41 PM, bamnutsak said:

I would register for Google Voice, even if you plan to keep Mint Mobile, before leaving the U.S. as it is much more difficult to do from outisde the U.S.

Google Voice works fine for 2FA IME. I use it for dozens of apps., 5 -6 times per day and never had a problem. I do have several back-ups.

How often do you plan to use Mint Mobile? Will you be making and receiving calls? Will you have access to reliable WiFi? Does your handset currently support MM (T-Mo) WiFI calling implementation?

I would probably port MM to GV, or a lower-cost provider like UltraMobile or US Mobile.

I do not believe MM will have any issues with your residing outside of the U.S., but I would research that based on the terms of the plan, and even contact them to verify.

Where does receiving OTP numbers in Thailand (at no charge) fit into this 'plan'.

• 3 weeks later...

Has  t mobil introduced 5g sims ?

Is it possible that these carriers would do this ,phasing out 4gsims that are only compatible with 4 & 5g

phones?

Im curious cause Im going to the states in 3 weeks and I would buy one .

Im going to buy the ultra mobile pay as you go $3 dollar plan sim to supplement my mintmobile sim.

I think any T-Mo or T-Mo MVNO supports 5G (in the U.S./Canada).

I don't think phasing out of SIMs is a thing, but obvioulsy you can interface with T-Mo, they are in the process of finalizing their purchase of MINT and UltraMobile, when you return. T-Mo/MINT will issue you a new SIM upon request. UltraMobile PAYG supports 4G & 5G.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:53 AM, scorecard said:

Where does receiving OTP numbers in Thailand (at no charge) fit into this 'plan'.

Not sure what this question refers to? But many plans offer some number of SMSes as part of the plan. With WiFi calling there would not any international roaming fees for receiving SMSes.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:42 AM, NanLaew said:

Not specific to US service providers but I was disappointed that the new phone I bought in the UK in late 2021 wasn't eSIM compatible. I only became aware of eSIM technology in 2022. While looking at US service providers a few months ago and with a friend visiting in the US, I pondered getting an eSIM and a new phone to use it in. A more recent search came up with this solution from a German company.

https://esim.me/

OK it's a card that goes in the SIM slot but in conjunction with their app installed in the phone, it enables eSIM compatibility in phones that don't have it built in.

Many thanks for this information! If you have a recent and decent Android phone like yourself it appears to be an excellent solution.