Honda PCX: Pattaya to Koh Chang

loginwith

I have been to Koh Chang by car many times already, but I am thinking about taking my bike instead on my next trip ????

1. I am an "experienced Pattaya city rider". But is this kind of trip actually doable/advisable on a 150cc scooter? Has anybody here attempted this already?

2. Would I need "special clothing" or would be jeans, long arm shirt, and gloves sufficient? Would be a ¾ helmet with visor ok?

3. I noticed that Trat often had rain when I drove through (even though Koh Chang was dry). Would be a "25 baht 7-11 rain coat" enough to get by in case of rain? I would obviously try to do this kind of trip in the dry season.

4. I guess the trip would take significantly more time than by car.  Maybe one hour more? But at the ferry pier ...  do bikes actually have (significantly) less waiting time than cars normally?

Any other thoughts?

----

Just brainstorming ????

• Haha 1

It is a good 250kms. From your post you seem to tick all of the boxes. 

As Nike say "Just Do It". But remember you have to go back.

Keep to the left, keep half an eye on the fuel gauge

and the other half on the mirror. Being surprised by a passing pickup is the worst. 

Have a good trip. 

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, loginwith said:

But is this kind of trip actually doable/advisable on a 150cc scooter?

not doable, but advisable.

Has anybody here attempted this already?

never

2. Would I need "special clothing" or would be jeans, long arm shirt, and gloves sufficient? Would be a ¾ helmet with visor ok?

Unless weather is bad or you wreck.

Would be a "25 baht 7-11 rain coat" enough to get by in case of rain?

Definitely the way to go.

do bikes actually have (significantly) less waiting time than cars normally?

Both leave at the same time.

//////////

Beware of elephants & monkeys & farengi.

I have done road trips on smaller bikes, and found it brutal on my body. If you are young and hearty, go for it. I would definitely wear a good quality helmet, with a good shield, and find good rain gear. No, a 7/11 raincoat will not work. A good raincoat and rain pants would make a big difference. 

• Like 1

I would call it a small trip. I just finished a 5.200 km trip on my Honda Click back in November. The third time I went for a ride like that on a Honda Click.  Longest stretch in a day this time was +700 km.

Jeans, long arm shirt, real shoes, and gloves would be a good idea, both in case of an accident and to prevent sunburn.

Helmet depends of how much you want to protect your head. I went with a Thai helmet (full face) on my first trip because that was what I had. Now, I use a helmet from Europe.

In case of rain: Stop. Do not drive in heavy rain, wait the 20 minutes it takes to clear up. In case of all day rain, wait until the next day.

The trip will not take significantly more time than by car - unless you drive very fast when driving a car. Actually, riding a bike can be faster than driving a car, especially in heavy traffic or if there are many traffic signals. But, of course, it depends how comfortable you are riding fast on the PCX.

Edited by farang51

My mate Colin has been to every corner of Thailand , Cambodia , laos and malaysia  on a Honda Wave 125  so its definitely possible,, you can cruise at 80kph + easy on PCX   ,, dont be put off .I have big bikes   but have done Pattaya to Bangkok on Scooters  several times

5 hours ago, loginwith said:

I am an "experienced Pattaya city rider". But is this kind of trip actually doable/advisable on a 150cc scooter? Has anybody here attempted this already?

Reading your post, I suspect that you know it is not a good idea.

Sure, technically it is possible. Technically it is also possible to ride to Chiang Mai. But does it make sense?

Personally I ride 99% of the time in inner city Bangkok. And the rest near Bangkok, maybe 30min on a big road out of Bangkok and then back. I do it because on a bike it is faster and more convenient than with a taxi. But I can't say I enjoy such a ride. Lots of crazy (pickup) drivers, some big dangerous trucks, etc.

And I did this on various bikes with 40+ HP. Inner city riding is different. 

Obviously I know that others enjoy "long" trips. But I think you should ask yourself if you want to go on that trip with your little bike because you are looking forward to that long trip. Or are you thinking about doing that so that you have your bike or a bike in Koh Chang - but you are not looking forward to that long trip.

Personally I would consider going with a car or bus and renting a bike over there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

I would call it a small trip. I just finished a 5.200 km trip on my Honda Click back in November. The third time I went for a ride like that on a Honda Click.  Longest stretch in a day this time was +700 km.

Jeans, long arm shirt, real shoes, and gloves would be a good idea, both in case of an accident and to prevent sunburn.

Helmet depends of how much you want to protect your head. I went with a Thai helmet (full face) on my first trip because that was what I had. Now, I use a helmet from Europe.

In case of rain: Stop. Do not drive in heavy rain, wait the 20 minutes it takes to clear up. In case of all day rain, wait until the next day.

The trip will not take significantly more time than by car - unless you drive very fast when driving a car. Actually, riding a bike can be faster than driving a car, especially in heavy traffic or if there are many traffic signals. But, of course, it depends how comfortable you are riding fast on the PCX.

good advice ^^^.

i too have done around 700km in a day on a click, but beware of aches in the (very) lower back region for a few days after. also done pattaya to khao khitchakut (chantaburi) and back (sometimes same day) several times. you'll be topping up the fuel regularly, so use that as proper breaks to stretch the legs and hydrate. the bike will be ideal transport to explore the island also. enjoy !!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Technically it is also possible to ride to Chiang Mai. But does it make sense?

One is either a motorcyclist or or one is not. A motorcyclist would not even ask.

I have mates who want to stop at every Amazon for a coffee. Me? I fill the gas tank and ride until it is empty. 

The OP will not know until he has tried. A PCX will cruise at 80kph+ all day even my Zoomer will do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

One is either a motorcyclist or or one is not. A motorcyclist would not even ask.

Is it so easy?

Do you think it is a good idea for someone who is used to short trips, maybe max 30min at a time, to suddenly go on a trip for hours? And then he also has to come back one day.

Personally I use one of my bikes every day in Bangkok. I like to have the freedom to use my own bike and not rely on (motorcycle) taxis. Until now I rode two times to Bangsaen (with 400cc bikes). It was no fun. Bad roads, crazy drivers, and big trucks - very different from everyday riding in Bangkok.

I am sure some people will accept the bad road conditions, including lots of crazy drivers, but I imagine not many will enjoy such a ride.

We should not discourage the Op from doing what he wants to do.

Not all roads are bad. I agree some smaller roads are atrocious especially concrete ones but most major roads are OK. At least where I live.

If it is a nice sunny day I cannot see any real reason not to ride from Pattaya to Koh Chang. I am not sure I would ride back the same day. I would probably stay overnight. If the OP wants or needs he can split the journey into 30minute stints. 

One ride I considered was 380 kms and I would have split that in two as the last half is serpentine and could be tiring.  Then again when younger I have dome Udon Thani to Bangkok (550kms +) in one day. But that is just me.

• Like 2

Stay off trafficked main roads, take your time, full face helmet always best and safest, as well pants and jacket with protection. Komine is a ok brand.

Rain is not your enemy, you dry up quick, fog and wet visor blocking your sight is. Make sure you have a helmet where that do not happen. You can treat your visor with anti fog, or a little drop with dish wash and polish that gently in. 

• Like 1

Certainly doable and can be enjoyable.  Some better riding along the coast.  Not so much inland or on the main highways.

New to this kind of riding?  Best to find your own pace and range.  Got time?  Unsure of your abilities?  Take a few days to get there.  You'll see more and develop your skills, too.

And remember: "Don't ride faster than your guardian angels can fly."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 10:03 PM, loginwith said:

Any other thoughts?

Before covid I rode to Koh Kong on my PCX, best ride I've been on, I've got 1200cc Ducati's, but this ride was so much fun. I just followed the Sukhumvit all the way to the end. As you get closer to the border the road is closer to the ocean, wow what a view.  Like you said, I saw a lot of rain around Trat, I ditched the rain coat, rode wet for an hour and dried of, this was fun. It gets very windy from the oncoming trucks, bit dangerous on the bends at speed, if you're skilled won't be a problem. Going there I broke the ride up to 3 days, coming back to Pattaya I rode straight through. I got to the border at 8am (opening) then rode all the way, stopping at Rayong for a coffee break only, got back to Pattaya 2.30pm.