Boy, 4, given emergency surgery at private hospital without an xray, say parents - it wasn't a ruptured appendix after all

webfact

080e76e5b15507cd069335c73af8dac324f350ed3faca26b229ce3a6dd2bf645.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath said they were contacted by the parents of a child and the four year old boy's grandmother after they were unhappy with the service at a private hospital in Rangsit, north of the Thai capital Bangkok. The hospital was not named.

Yollada, 29, Natthapong, 25, and gran Janthakarn, 51, had taken "Thee" to the hospital suffering from a fever. His urine and feces were checked and he had a problem with his blood values.

A doctor came to press his abdomen and on this alone determined that the boy had a ruptured appendix and needed immediate life saving surgery.

The doctor was 100% sure.

The parents had no time to seek a cheaper hospital and quickly a consent form and costs of 160 - 180,000 baht had to be signed.

In the urgency of the situation the parents agreed but five minutes later the mother was called into the theater and told that it was not a ruptured appendix.

44492f016da90c7a8171e8c29045cf631610688df702ec837321e33aa9facc6e.jpg

Her son had already been opened up. It was a blocked intestine. The doctor whipped out another form to sign for 250,000 baht and would leave a 5 cm scar.

But after the operation the doctor emerged and spoke to the grandmother saying it was a twisted intestine that had circled around the appendix. It was not a blocked intestine but the operation had been a success.

The appendix had to be cut even though it had not ruptured.

The mother ran up to confront the doctor about all the chopping and changing of the diagnosis.

fe779188df42137f2ef13232f7e7af59feed4d1fbf18f501090be5f011ee3d2c.jpg

If they had been properly apprised of the situation they could have gone elsewhere (to a cheaper hospital) as it was not the emergency first thought.

The family further claimed that when a relative argued that the scar was not 5 cms but much bigger the doctor had said ok it's 7 cms, okay it's twelve...then had turned around and left the room.

It was 15 cms.

After six days the boy showed improvement.

But the family planned to change hospitals as they were thoroughly dissatisfied.

They have racked up 95,000 baht in costs so far and been made to sign guarantees for 100,000 baht more.

They are furious about the changing diagnosis and claim that only hands were laid on their son - an xray was not performed that could have meant they could have gone elsewhere.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The parents had no time to seek a cheaper hospital and quickly a consent form and costs of 160 - 180,000 baht had to be signed.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Her son had already been opened up. It was a blocked intestine. The doctor whipped out another form to sign for 250,000 baht and would leave a 5 cm scar.

Nice to see the hospital getting it's priorities right.

• Haha 1

Sounds like in this case the true cause of the issue had to be made via exploratory surgery. 
It is not unusual for a surgical diagnosis to be given.  Then when the patient is opened up, a different or additional issue is found.  The other form was probably a release for the doctor to proceed with the new issue.  Especially since the patient is a minor.  And as for the additional cost.  Different types of surgery have different costs.  
From the initial diagnosis.  It sounds to me the doctor prevented a potential life threatening situation. Even though something else was found during surgery.  Which was also a serious medical issue. 
And if the doctor did initially say it was a twisted or ruptured intestine.  That’s not the time to spend time shopping around for a less expensive facility to correct the issue. 

Edited by swm59nj
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

And if the doctor did initially say it was a twisted or ruptured intestine.  That’s not the time to spend time shopping around for a less expensive facility to correct the issue. 

Yep, I was complaining of abdominal pain to the nurses in ICU that was getting worse by the hour.

Wheeled out  for a CT scan........ Perforated lower intestine.

Within 3 hours (had to get blood delivered from BKK) I was under the knife. 

23 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

It sounds to me the doctor prevented a potential life threatening situation.

Sounds to me like the doctor was incompetent.

Wonder why the parents took him to a private hospital, as Thai kids are treated free of charge in any government hospital (no need to be registered at that particular hospital unlike adults).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I'm not mistaken medical deontology dictates proactive surgery in case of suspected appendicitis, even if some uncertainty remains. Not operating asap in case of appendicitis is a risk doctors should not be willing to take. I remember reading that the symtoms of appendicitis can be deceitful, with pain even materialising at the wrong side of the abdomen.

Edited by JackGats
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JackGats said:

If I'm not mistaken medical deontology dictates proactive surgery in case of suspected appendicitis, even if some uncertainty remains. Not operating asap in case of appendicitis is a risk doctors should not be willing to take. I remember reading that the symtoms of appendicitis can be deceitful, with pain even materialising at the wrong side of the abdomen.

Can't be that urgent as poster @Ralf001 just claimed it took them 3hrs to get him to the operating table.

• Like 1

Had same problem here in UK 15 years ago. Terrible pain in right abdomen, doc pressed on area and caused a lot more pain, so declared it was apendix which needed to come out ASAP. 

Came too and was told appendix was fine, but they took it out anyway. Turned out it was an inflamed kidney, which they treated with drugs and stuck a antibiotic suppository up my ass during the operation, which I was allergic too. 
In hospital for 3 weeks. ????

Apparently kidney paid can show same symptoms as appendicitis.