Search engine problems (google)

sirineou

I am sure this subject has been discussed before, but unfortunately my search in this forum was unsuccessful. Please feel free to post links to other threads that might be relevant. :smile:

Anyway ,The short of it is that I no longer trust Google to give me what I am searching for , and simply direct me to it's advertisers. Bing dont seem to be any better. 

so I am looking for a search engine that will give me honest results. 

Today I did a search for a product I was looking to buy , and I know the different DYI stores that sell it, but I don't know what I don't know, so I thought I would do a search and perhaps find some other options. 

So I did my search "electrical generators for sale in khon khon kaen" , Most of the results I got were ads , almost non were in Khon Kaen, and non of the stores that I know sell generators were displayed. So if I did not know of them I would not even know existed. 

Bing was just as bad if not worst. And I don't know about Firefox since I have not download it yet. 

I would appreciate any suggestion as to how to resolve that problem .

What do you guys do?  

• Like 1

Firefox is a browser, not a search engine.

Have you tried ChatGPT to find what you're looking for? Beware that ChatGPT will confidently give an answer to your questions even when it may be wrong, but it might help as a starting point; just make sure you fact check any important information you get before taking it as gospel.

1 minute ago, zzaa09 said:

Try Google Thai - better results with Thai script. 

....btw, Google and Microsoft are demonic entities.

What you say makes sense since many of the websites are thai language only, perhaps the English language  algorithm cant find them.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you access "Google Thai"?

I agree they are "demonic entities and would like to dump them but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. 

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What you say makes sense since many of the websites are thai language only, perhaps the English language  algorithm cant find them.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you access "Google Thai"?

I agree they are "demonic entities and would like to dump them but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. 

https://www.google.co.th/

• Like 2

Search engines search the internet, here in Thailand many businesses do not have websites so would not be picked up in the searches, it seems most business here use Facebook to promote their business. As a business you need to post and promote on the main social media platforms on a constant basis so that social media algorithms will pick up new content which will then hopefully appear.

Best results on social media are paid for adverts by businesses which will then reach a mass audience. Going back to the internet, if you are a business then doing a free business listing on Google will work well and show on local searches. At the end of the day if businesses do not list themselves and their products on the internet and update constantly, you will not find them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Have you tried ChatGPT to find what you're looking for? Beware that ChatGPT will confidently give an answer to your questions even when it may be wrong, but it might help as a starting point; just make sure you fact check any important information you get before taking it as gospel.

Hi Jay. What is the difference between a Browser and a search engine.? 

I have not tried Chat GPT, I briefly looked into it , but have been too busy to concentrate on it. Could you please provide me a link to where I can download the free version,I am not lazy , I did a search on google and I don't trust the results 

OP, google lists things that appear on the internet, if the goods, service, product have never appeared on a website, buy/sell site etc, it wont appear on any google search.

Also, there are several tools and advanced search options on google where you can filter results, specify language, location etc.

If you are shopping for a specific product then maybe Lazada or similar would be a better place to look.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have not tried Chat GPT, I briefly looked into it , but have been too busy to concentrate on it. Could you please provide me a link to where I can download the free version,I am not lazy , I did a search on google and I don't trust the results 

Difference Between Web Browser and Search Engine
Web Browser Search Engine
A web browser is a software application used to retrieve data from webpages or HTML files present in servers. Search Engine is kind of a website where a user can search for information and the results based on the same are displayed on the screen. 
A web browser used Graphical Interface to help users experience an interactive online session on the World Wide Web A search engine has three main components:

• Search index
  • Crawler
  • Search algorithm 
No database of its own. Only comprises a memory to store cache and cookies  It has its own database
Multiple Web Browsers can be installed on a single device You do not need to install a search engine in your system
Examples of Web Browser are:

• Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Mosaic
  • Internet Explorer
  • Opera
Examples of Search Engine include:

• Google
  • Yahoo
  • Bing
  • Ask
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, 2baht said:

What's the question? I'll ask my wife!

Not sure if you are being funny ???? 

On the outside chance that you are not, I am looking to buy a generator in Khon Kaen, I know of all the usual places , Do Home, Global House etc. but I dont know if there are any tool specific places that would sell a generator in my area.   

The browser you use is unimportant, inside all web browsers you can choose the search engine to use be it google, bing, yahoo, duckduckgo etc....

Try opening the local search engine of the one you want to use with .co.th. Try also clear cookies and clear history and on the location in the web browser.

To find the store selling the goods from a general search, it would be better to input the name of the store eg home pro khon kaen and then it would produce more accurate results.

• Like 1

I just asked the new ChatGPT "What is Soi 6 in Pattaya?". The answer is not bad, even if some details are missing... 

"Soi 6 is a well-known street in Pattaya, a popular beach resort town in Thailand. It's famous for its lively and bustling nightlife scene, particularly its many bars and nightlife venues.

The street is located in the heart of Pattaya's red-light district and is known for its "short time" bars, where customers can pay for the company of women for a brief period. The bars are often small and intimate, with a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Many of the bars have open fronts, and the women who work there can be seen sitting outside, trying to attract customers.

Soi 6 has a reputation for being one of the more "raunchy" areas of Pattaya's nightlife scene, and it's often frequented by single men or groups of male friends looking for a good time. However, it's worth noting that Pattaya's nightlife scene caters to a wide range of tastes, and there are plenty of other areas in the city that offer a more family-friendly atmosphere."

• Like 1

Perhaps ChatGPT is really not bad. Now I asked "Where can I repair my TV in Pattaya?". The answer was 

"There are several options for repairing a TV in Pattaya. Here are a few places you could consider:

T.M. Electronic Service - This is a popular electronics repair shop in Pattaya. They offer repair services for a wide range of electronic devices, including TVs. Their address is 326/10 Pattaya Tai Road, Pattaya City, Chonburi 20150, and their phone number is +66 38 420 722.

Tech Heaven - This is another electronics repair shop in Pattaya that offers TV repair services. They are located at 106/30-31 Central Pattaya Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150, and their phone number is +66 38 361 956.

Pattaya Electronics - This is a large electronics store that also offers repair services. They have a team of experienced technicians who can repair a wide range of electronic devices, including TVs. Their address is 285/43 Pattaya Klang Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150, and their phone number is +66 38 361 701.

It's a good idea to contact each of these shops to get an idea of their prices and turnaround times for TV repairs. You can also check online reviews and ask for recommendations from locals or expats who have had experience with TV repair in Pattaya."

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, userabcd said:

The browser you use is unimportant, inside all web browsers you can choose the search engine to use be it google, bing, yahoo, duckduckgo etc....

Try opening the local search engine of the one you want to use with .co.th. Try also clear cookies and clear history and on the location in the web browser.

To find the store selling the goods from a general search, it would be better to input the name of the store eg home pro khon kaen and then it would produce more accurate results.

Oh now I get it. from google I can chose any search engine. 

all good advice, thank you

3 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Perhaps ChatGPT is really not bad. Now I asked "Where can I repair my TV in Pattaya?". The answer was 

"There are several options for repairing a TV in Pattaya. Here are a few places you could consider:

T.M. Electronic Service - This is a popular electronics repair shop in Pattaya. They offer repair services for a wide range of electronic devices, including TVs. Their address is 326/10 Pattaya Tai Road, Pattaya City, Chonburi 20150, and their phone number is +66 38 420 722.

Tech Heaven - This is another electronics repair shop in Pattaya that offers TV repair services. They are located at 106/30-31 Central Pattaya Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150, and their phone number is +66 38 361 956.

Pattaya Electronics - This is a large electronics store that also offers repair services. They have a team of experienced technicians who can repair a wide range of electronic devices, including TVs. Their address is 285/43 Pattaya Klang Road, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150, and their phone number is +66 38 361 701.

It's a good idea to contact each of these shops to get an idea of their prices and turnaround times for TV repairs. You can also check online reviews and ask for recommendations from locals or expats who have had experience with TV repair in Pattaya."

Thank you

I will give it a

try

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Somebody has already covered the browser/search engine part.

The official link for ChatGPT is https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

you do not want to use that for product searches.  It's data is a year old.  To chatgpt Iphone 14 isn't even out yet.

besides, I see bad things coming from using something like this.  It just gives an answer and you are supposed to take it as god's word, when really it's just the answer the powers be want you to hear:  ie , yes, men can give birth to babies being such an example.

on the flip side, I hear bing has already incorporated AI with their search and is fun to use at this stage in the game, and better than google.

YOu can try duck duck go search engine,  Although I hear they have already been flipped to the dark side despite being created for those who didn't want the narratives only links displayed when doing searches.

Still worth a try.

but for shopping, it hard to beat google still imo.  

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

you do not want to use that for product searches.  It's data is a year old.

A lot of products are actually more than a year old...

Besides even if you are asking about a new product, it's probably smart enough to be able to tell you a store that at least sold a previous model.