Thai woman faces federal charges for fleeing the United States after Michigan hit and run death

webfact

15 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Absolutely no question there is, however I was answering a question on bribing police and the chance of who would get arrested for the 'crime'. 

Trying to bribe a cop in the USA is not going to turn out very well?

Yes, it might not be a good idea to try to bribe a cop, but don't all beat cops in the US carry body cams these days? Everything they do is recorded?

12 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

Citizen, yes  .Mentality,  no.

She's a thai to the core. 

Run away and hide .

Typical coward mentality.

As has been mentioned before, and the comments removed, other nationalities, particularly one involved here, have done the same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Yes, it might not be a good idea to try to bribe a cop, but don't all beat cops in the US carry body cams these days? Everything they do is recorded?

As far as I know yes, all cops out on the street wear body cams, plus all cop cars have dash cams and when the cop car stops behind you, for some reason, everything is recorded?

21 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

As far as I know yes, all cops out on the street wear body cams, plus all cop cars have dash cams and when the cop car stops behind you, for some reason, everything is recorded?

They don't all wear them - according to the report below, as of 2023 only 7 US states had made body cameras mandatory.

Body Camera Laws by State 2023

And for some reason in a number of high-profile cases they seem to have been turned off or "not working" at the relevant moments.

Just one example is:

... the police shooting of Justine Damond in Minneapolis. Officer Mohamed Noor, who shot Damond, and his partner were both wearing body cameras.

However as mentioned in the article below, according to the police the cameras were not switched on at the time the shooting occurred.

The failure of police body cameras

On 2/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, gunner1 said:

unfortunately it is the Thai tradition to pull a runner when involved in any type of road accident! has been this way for fifty years that i have been in and around Thailand. during the Vietnam war, when a thai taxi was involved in an accident and had an American Passenger, the driver did a runner and the passenger became responsible for the victims hospital and "compensation" money!

Probably the same guy who got deported for mowing his own lawn, or painting his fence, or any other versions of these fabricated stories that are regurgitated ad naseam by some expats.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gunner1 said:
On 2/18/2023 at 1:23 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...the passenger became responsible for the victims hospital and "compensation" money!"

Nonsense.

were you there?

Obviously, not, were you?   No one needs to have been there to know that the story is patently false.  Passengers do not become financially responsible for the actions of the driver or the vehicle (unless they actively contribute to the circumstances).   Perhaps the passenger voluntarily contributed in the absence of the driver but that is not the way that you told your tale.

Unless you have something to back up such a bizarre assertion and Thai-bash, your story smacks of being completely false.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 3:53 PM, Iron Tongue said:

FBI?  

I think your understanding of US laws comes from the movies.

Investigation and retrieval of international fugitives falls within the jurisdiction of the Federal Marshal Service.

apologies.

37 minutes ago, marin said:

Well, what has happened she was supposed to be back in the US and in Michigan by Sunday. I have seen no reports at all. Anyone?

I can't find any update. I'm sure if she had returned to Michigan we would have news of it?

On 2/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, not, were you?   No one needs to have been there to know that the story is patently false.  Passengers do not become financially responsible for the actions of the driver or the vehicle (unless they actively contribute to the circumstances).   Perhaps the passenger voluntarily contributed in the absence of the driver but that is not the way that you told your tale.

Unless you have something to back up such a bizarre assertion and Thai-bash, your story smacks of being completely false.  

Yes, I was there, it happened in March, 1970 at Ubon Royal Thai Air Base, the falang, (an airman) was taken to the police station and the Interperater told him that if he had not hired the cab, the driver would not have hit anyone, after the Air Force got involved the Thai Police forgot about the incident.more recently in 2004 at Ubon I was sitting PARKED in my truck when a motorcycle with two people crossed the lanes and hit the side of my car and bounced off the sidewalk. I Thai policeman arrived and told me that I was at FAULT!  After jacking his jaws for about a minute I demanded we go to the Police Station where the chief was and I told him the full story, he made the  Cop apologise to me, and told the two kids that they had to pay for the damages to my truck, it was just a scrape so I told the chief that I wanted an an apology which was promptly given. Bottom line if I had been a tourist, or new guy, the cop would have had his way and I would have wound up paying the Kids!  Remember Liverpool, you are in Thailand!  anything can and does happen if you are charlie tuna!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gunner1 said:

Yes, I was there, it happened in March, 1970 at Ubon Royal Thai Air Base, the falang, (an airman) was taken to the police station and the Interperater told him that if he had not hired the cab, the driver would not have hit anyone, after the Air Force got involved the Thai Police forgot about the incident.more recently in 2004 at Ubon I was sitting PARKED in my truck when a motorcycle with two people crossed the lanes and hit the side of my car and bounced off the sidewalk. I Thai policeman arrived and told me that I was at FAULT!  After jacking his jaws for about a minute I demanded we go to the Police Station where the chief was and I told him the full story, he made the  Cop apologise to me, and told the two kids that they had to pay for the damages to my truck, it was just a scrape so I told the chief that I wanted an an apology which was promptly given. Bottom line if I had been a tourist, or new guy, the cop would have had his way and I would have wound up paying the Kids!  Remember Liverpool, you are in Thailand!  anything can and does happen if you are charlie tuna!

Yeah, right.