On The Etiquette of Wais

JSLit

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah!! And if someone puts their hand out don't shake it, just leave them hanging. And if someone says "hello" to you under no circumstances should you say hello back.

What an attitude.....

Wai's are not handshakes. Wais are a mark of respect to seniors.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes really! Because to not wai back would be rude, ignorant and disrespectful. 

So is doing it incorrectly, depending on social standing.

If farangs wish to Wai, it's up to them, as mentioned, to me, it looks stupid. Wai and then not even be able to communicate....

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There's a lot of one arm farmers where I live if they say hello I just wave.  ????

One hand wai is accepted if only one hand available. If you holding your coffe cup in one hand, you wai with the other

I wai only to family and immigration when I want new stamp, or if I am meeting people we going to do business with

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

So, by their own rules, they should always wai me.

first - they should always wai you first and then you should return the wai 

And only after that can you drink champagne from their slipper.. 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

So, don't wave hello, shake hands..

Perhaps live in a cave. Perfect for cavemen

Speaking is fine, of course, much better than a silly gesture one does not understand (nor wish to).

Strange comment about a cave, are you a caveman?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSLit said:

Also I tend to break the rules, like if a waiter or a maid Wai's at me Ill return it back. 

It's not actually breaking any rule.I've observed high status Thais over several decades and most will wai a subordinate if the latter initiates the gesture. Thus for example on leaving a restaurant the high status Thai will often wai a waiter if the latter initiated.It will usually be rather perfunctory but the thought is there.

I don't think Thais of any rank care very much whether farang use a wai or not (very few ever get the nuances quite right) but it's certainly not a negative feeling.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It's not actually breaking any rule.I've observed high status Thais over several decades and most will wai a subordinate if the latter initiates the gesture. Thus for example on leaving a restaurant the high status Thai will often wai a waiter if the latter initiated.It will usually be rather perfunctory but the thought is there.

I don't think Thais of any rank care very much whether farang use a wai or not (very few ever get the nuances quite right) but it's certainly not a negative feeling.

Thats kind of my attitude. I dont like down or above anyone due to financial status. Saw it too many times back in farang land where one year someone. is near homeless only a few years later to become very successful in terms of wealth.

If a waiter wais to me I wai back

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So the OP's mate, who I assume is a farang, got upset when his wai wasn't acknowldeged and reciprocated?

Maybe best to just avoid this cultural assimilation nonsense. It's a big old nothing burger.

Whenever I go to a coffee shop up in the sticks, Ill occasionally meet a farang who introduces themselves only to tell me how much they hate Thailand, how Thai people are oblivious, etc...only to then tell me that they've been here for 30 years and plan on still being here. LOL

• Haha 2

Hmm my "wai" height - chest, face or head - tends to be a combination of who I'm "wai"ing and how they "wai"-ed me.

Sayng that, monks get a head-high wai, kids, a chest-high one (if they "wai"-ed me first but not if they didn't) and generally family and friends get a face-high "wai" (which I class as neutral).

• Haha 1

Personally, I say sawasdi krub to younger people and lower ranking staff. If they wai then I wai back.

In Japan, if someone bows I bow back. If an Indian says namaste and puts their palms together i do the same. It's their culture and ît isn't our job to decide if it's good or not. 

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I only ever wai my mil, when I can remember, i certainly don’t wai immigration or police . Why would you wai someone who is only doing their job , or not ! as is often the case .

Wai is a deference to social status. It's as normal in Thai society as shaking hands in the west. I have never seen Thais shake hands with other Thais. When in Rome...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2