The Risks of being a working expat !

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

if you are originally here on a large ex-pat relocation salary

It seems fewer and fewer people are on contracts like that.

I.e. some (many?) international hotels employ now more and more Thais in positions which were previously held by foreigners.

And there was a time when foreigners got a lot more paid than Thais. It seems those times are over - at least in some businesses.

Hoping to get forever paid a lot more than the locals is definitely not a good position. 

• Like 1

Just watched the video.

It really should have been called "What happens when you lose your job in Thailand". Which is only really an issue if you live hand to mouth and haven't saved enough to make it through a few years without working.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

or should we cut more trees down to make paper...

Trees for paper and packaging are grown commercially for that purpose. Usually pine and wattle, afaik. So the rest is about it is done wrt ecology - what was originally there, effects on things that live in it.  ...Entire process optimised for specific size and type of timber.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems fewer and fewer people are on contracts like that.

I.e. some (many?) international hotels employ now more and more Thais in positions which were previously held by foreigners.

And there was a time when foreigners got a lot more paid than Thais. It seems those times are over - at least in some businesses.

Hoping to get forever paid a lot more than the locals is definitely not a good position. 

Who wants to work for 50 - 60 hours a week 90 - 100k a month, when back home 40 hours or less with even early week at friday if flexible working hours, and 5 weeks more or less holiday a year, + national holidays earning double, triple or more?

I work maximum 15 weeks a year as freelancer in Europe for the same money a well paid expat gets here after my taxes is paid, and also have my social security because I pay my taxes.

I believe having a good plan, invest little by little in a life here in Thailand, and still working in Europe or another place with something you can easily do, and also manage to semi retire as early as possible, but still not give up your mother country until you are sure you will survive in Thailand, and already by years built a safe platform and no further need for larger investments.

You did the right thing for you when you had the chance, and times was indeed different. Almost double for our savings back 20 years ago as well.

Edited by Hummin

Could not be bothered watching the video, but the notepad discussion I'll throw in my tuppence.

I'm generally a two monitor and separate keyboard and mouse approach but also use a notepad, using the laptop to focus on work and the notepad for tangent ideas that can guide that work. 

I could do it on the laptop just as I could pour my coffee into my cornflakes but some things are better separate.

Everyone taking laptops to meetings just to make notes, they are pretty much guaranteed to get nominated to take meeting minutes and quite rightly so. 

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some people need long holidays.

Personally, since I live in Thailand, I never made a long holiday. I don't miss it. I live in my holiday destination. ????

bangkok-golf-packages.jpg

It is indeed a lifestyle. I need contrasts, therefor good to be able to live many different lives in different countries. Last 5 years we have spent time between Thailand, south Europe and Norway Perfect. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:01 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Out of interest, why?

I grew up with paper and pencil and sometimes I use them. It depends on the conditions. But mostly I use an electronic device. Preferably my desktop PC with big keyboard and big monitor, but sometimes my mobile phone.

I.e. recently I made notes in my apartment which is under construction. Some measurements, some little drawings, some small remarks, I used a small paper block and a pen because it's just easier to walk around with such thing and add a drawing, etc. 

And if the author of the video above made these notes maybe sitting on the beach, I understand why he didn't do it on a computer.

Most of the time I use a PC because that makes it easy to edit text. Move a paragraph to another position to order my thoughts, maybe add or delete or change some words, etc.

With an electronic device it is easy to just write random thoughts down and then formulate them and order them or delete them again.

Personally, I would never use paper and pencil on a desk with a computer.

I think you are nitpicking which we all can sometimes such as under construction should read under reconstruction and little drawing should read rough sketch .

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

I wouldn't listen to advice from a man in an Adidas T-shirt who is clearly more interested in how his biceps look on camera.

We know he invent different themes for people who is interested in Thailand, and not necessary us who already lives here. It is his way to make a living in Thailand, and we do not need to agree with him at all, but start pick pointing on him is kind of childishly, or? 

His channel is not for me, but the discussion around his message is interesting and for some useful. Especially those who have not made the move yet.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1