Thai Airways investigates cabin crew incident – ‘Tray Gate’

snoop1130

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I dread to think how they would perform in an accident or very urgent life threating scenario to get all passengers off the aircraft in a very short time.

I can answer that. I was on a THAI flight from Dubai to Bangkok when a fight started between two passengers, one of whom had considered that the other had pushed his seat too far back. Instead of dealing with it the crew vanished to the back of the plane and it was left to other passengers to intervene and quieten things down.

What is Thai Airways motto or tag line? "Smooth as Silk".  At least not in terms of picking up passenger trays.  2007 to 2009 flew with them quite often.  Back then Thai has a nonstop from BKK to LAX on an A340-500.  Service was outstanding and the cabin crew performed like Singapore Air Cabin Crew.  The last tim I flew with Thai was back in 2013 from BKK-ICN-LAX and it felt like I was on a domestic United Airlines flight.  The downfall of this once good airline has been a long term process.  Thai Airways management cannot really use Covid as the reason for it's current problems.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

Thai Airways Orders Pay Cut for Negligent Flight Attendants

26-11-e1603177235658.jpg.webp

BANGKOK, Feb 22 (TNA) – Thai Airways ordered one-month pay cut and suspension from work on board for flight attendants, who failed to collect used food trays from passengers' foldable tables before landing.

The investigation came after a TikTok video showing food trays left on the foldable tables while the flight from Singapore to Bangkok was landing.

Thai Airways International Plc. On Tuesday reported its investigation found that flight attendants were negligent in their duties, so the company has imposed penalties of one-month salary cut for them and they have been also suspended from their duty on board for one month.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1120078

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-02-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

What about the (chief) purser? He/She has the responsibility, but I suppose only takes the salary, not the accountability.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways International Plc. On Tuesday reported its investigation found that flight attendants were negligent in their duties, so the company has imposed penalties of one-month salary cut for them and they have been also suspended from their duty on board for one month.

Service with a grimace... my my how Thai Airways has slipped from it's once lofty position.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can answer that. I was on a THAI flight from Dubai to Bangkok when a fight started between two passengers, one of whom had considered that the other had pushed his seat too far back. Instead of dealing with it the crew vanished to the back of the plane and it was left to other passengers to intervene and quieten things down.

"... vanished to the back of the plane ..."

I experienced 2 incidents in business class, evening flight HK to Bkk:

1: Passengers boarding (into Bus class) at HK, no cabin staff whatever, all passeners taking care of everything themselves. One old Thai lady near me pressd the call button several time, no response. She got up and went to the galley area, can't open the curtain, someone is holding it closed from inside the galley, Eventually the curtain was pulled open. Guess what, they're having a birthday party. Passenger came back to her said and yelled loudly across the cabin 'there's no cabin crew because they're having a birthday party in the galley'. Obviously the party goers heard her announcement because they quickly came into the cabin and tried to look busy but in reality looked like unprofessional idiots.

2. Also Evening bus classs HK to Bkk. As quickly as possible after take off the meal is served and quickly cleard away. Then a waitress (trolley dolley) pushed a food cart to the front of the bus class section, several other staff following and they put an ice bucket with cans of beer, bottles of spririts and mixers on the cart and all disappear. Then an announcement, 'starting today XX tave a new policy, after dinner is finished all drinks are self service, help yourself from the trolley in the cabin. 

A little while later an old Thai passener wants something and presses the call button many times, no response. She gets up, goes to the galley area, can't open the curtain, someone is holding it closed from inside the galley, Eventually the curtain was pulled open. Guess what, they're having a birthday party.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Looks like no leadership ineffective service would have thought the cabin crew for safety reasons would come round before landing checking seat belts were on ????

Looks like a could not care less attitude towards the customer ???? 

It's a gross safety lapse and makes you wonder what else they missed or how effective they'd be in an emergency ... did they check to ensure the fire extinguishers were in place and serviceable before departure?

I think they got away with it pretty lightly. Then again I think they'll be at their sharpest from now on - they won't get away with a thing after this.

Edited by BusyB

39 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

smooth as silk  555

which shows 3 food trays on the folding tables of 3 seats. As the flight lands, a bottle of water falls from one tray.

Omg, was anyone hurt by the bottle? 

Air Asia are much worse. Recently, one hostess came up to me to try to give me the emergency details in English, to which I replied I've just heard them(in Thai). She started on about it was the law for her to tell me in English, and I was the only white guy on the plane. 

Racial discrimination. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No complaints, just wondering why. Not like it's a scandal.

Of course it's a scandal - there's video evidence of the national flag carrier violating aviation safety regulations in a way that could have endangered passengers in case of an emergency. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Of course it's a scandal - there's video evidence of the national flag carrier violating aviation safety regulations in a way that could have endangered passengers in case of an emergency. 

Couldn't reach the emergency exit because of an empty fried rice and chicken basil tub? 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ignore it said:

Always a risk of this when Thai "Karen's" meet Thai "Pretties".

So if they report a safety breach they are Karens?

Let's not forget these are paying customers who paid the expensive fare and have some 

unsurprising expecations of delivery of value. Just one being proper, every time, attention to matters which can affect the speed to get everybody off the aircraft if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Couldn't reach the emergency exit because of an empty fried rice and chicken basil tub? 

I expect if there are 3 tables down between me and the aisle that would also impede me! Fold up tables I could probably deal with, those that go into armrests less so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sooner this clapped out airline is shut down, the better. I'm surprised they're still operating, must have had a taxpayer bail-out of sorts. All a bit like former national carrier South African Airways. Brought to its knees by incompetence and corruption. Kill it off, nobody needs it, real world airlines service the market quite adequately.

Staff neglecting their duties were probably sorting out and hiding their for-resale-profit bought duty free items....... wasn't that the biggest benefit for all those Thai staff? Anyone recall those so-called Thai Hisos with all their excess baggage, free of charge? Typical Thailand. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I expect if there are 3 tables down between me and the aisle that would also impede me! Fold up tables I could probably deal with, those that go into armrests less so.

What could happen is that in panic the passenger tries to fold the rtray table up to lock it closed, but they can't because the food table, plates, bowls, cups, crockery all jam the tray table before it's anywhere near it's closed position. And for a window seat passenger two other tray tables to deal with. Unacceptable in terms of very fast exit from the aircraft, possibly made more complex because it's cuasing panic and causing some passengers to get involved when in fact they should have already been at the door / out of the aircraft. Also causing passengers to press the hostess contact button, and at that point in time the cabin staff will be (should be) going throught a process specific to getting passengers to the door, as many as posssible in as little time as possible, and not being sidetracked into multiple tray tables which won't close and have possibly been jammed, plus food and drinks on the seat, chair backs, aisle floor, causing passengers to slip.

The hosties involved know their routine very well and should get these easy actions completed quickly and timely, and their supervisor should be checking all the time that these things are being done according to operating instructions and on time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Foreigners I bet.