Thai Airways investigates cabin crew incident – ‘Tray Gate’

snoop1130

I remember some years ago abord a plane of a world class airline....I saw a hostess prior to landing, stuffing 3 meal dishes in their aluminium packing,  into what seemed to be her handbag.

I also recall that beforehand, just after lunch I asked for a 2nd helping of the curry dish (that is usually always given) but she claimed that none was left....

There are always extra meals on a huge A380 craft and all that remains apparently is taken away by the cabin crew and thus saves them to buy for their own meals on the stop. Not sure on Thai if it is common practice....

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

What could happen is that in panic the passenger tries to fold the rtray table up to lock it closed, but they can't because the food table, plates, bowls, cups, crockery all jam the tray table before it's anywhere near it's closed position. And for a window seat passenger two other tray tables to deal with. Unacceptable in terms of very fast exit from the aircraft, possibly made more complex because it's cuasing panic and causing some passengers to get involved when in fact they should have already been at the door / out of the aircraft. Also causing passengers to press the hostess contact button, and at that point in time the cabin staff will be (should be) going throught a process specific to getting passengers to the door, as many as posssible in as little time as possible, and not being sidetracked into multiple tray tables which won't close and have possibly been jammed, plus food and drinks on the seat, chair backs, aisle floor, causing passengers to slip.

The hosties involved know their routine very well and should get these easy actions completed quickly and timely, and their supervisor should be checking all the time that these things are being done according to operating instructions and on time. 

Checking!  I recall many years ago I went to a seminar about measuring staff performance.

I ran into the director responsible for HR at XX.

I asked him how do you measure the personal performance of cabin crew.

His resposnse: Ohh we don't need to do that because most of our cabin crew have a masters degree. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Flew with them in October last year after an absence of at least 6 years due to higher than expected air fares at the time that I would fly with them, that said, I used to use them often as my carrier of choice and when I flew in with them in October, I had no complaints, so can only give good comments about Thai Airways during the times I have used them, i.e. they are my preferred choice, subject to fare price of course.

As for AirAsia, well, still waiting for my domestic fare refund since October last year (connecting flight) as they advised me in August last year that they were cancelling my connecting flight, and said I would receive a full refund within 3 months, it's now been 6 months and no one is replying to my emails, so AirAsia is a carrier I won't be using again, and that will be lost revenue for them as they were my preferred carrier domestically.

They will join Jetstar who have lost my international business for the past decade.

Thai was my preferred carrier as well never had any problems and the only one who flew from Perth to Bangkok nonstop but for some reasons, they stopped the service 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zzaa09 said:
12 hours ago, ROGER DUNN said:

Can Anyone tell me why Thai has Stopped Flying from Perth ( Aus ) to Bangkok???

Ah.......they're broke? 

Broke somewhere else maybe? That flight was always chock-a-block full. Even Business Class and that was overpriced. However, Malaysian have two, cheaper flights per day, with decent transit times at KUL so I guess THAI's non-stop tit got over-milked.

15 hours ago, bangon04 said:

The take off and landing checks are usually not strong at thai.  Handbags and shopping are regularly left out, and the cellphone rules are no longer enforced apparently.

Safety is not understood nor a priority anywhere in Thailand so no surprise if the national carrier is the same. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nauseus said:

It's a safety issue. If the crew can't follow their own pre-landing procedures, then that sends a poor message that potential customers will note with disdain.

Probably why just a few years ago they were threatened with a ban from flying to Europe and the US.

24 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Safety is not understood nor a priority anywhere in Thailand so no surprise if the national carrier is the same. 

A 'companion point', many years back a work collegue called TG early the morning after the previous evening flight he used to get back to Thailand. He wanted to complain.

Switchbaotd op. tells him TG don't have a complaint dept., and hangs up.

He tries again and gets transferred to the catering manager (catering/food/drinks not connected to his reason for complaint.

Catering manager says he's never heard of a complaint dept. / mnger.

Catering mngr transfers the call, now a very young man on the line, speaks perfect English, who confirms 'yes this is the complaint dept.,' and 'no you can't speak to me you have to speak to the complaints mngr'. 

' OK please tsfr me to comlaints mngr.'

'Cannot she comes to work at 10:00 to 11:00 am after these taken her children to school and had breakfast with her kids and then finished her shooping for fresh food at the market for the family cook to later prepare the family dinner'. Also reveals the complaint manager is his aunt.

Caller says 'Can you please take my name and number and ask her to call me back?' Response 'cannot because she has a personal policy she doesn't return calls.'

'OK please give me her extension number so I can call her later'.

Response 'Not allowed to do that for privacy reasons'.

Caller gives up.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

A 'companion point', many years back a work collegue called TG early the morning after the previous evening flight he used to get back to Thailand. He wanted to complain.

Switchbaotd op. tells him TG don't have a complaint dept., and hangs up.

He tries again and gets transferred to the catering manager (catering/food/drinks not connected to his reason for complaint.

Catering manager says he's never heard of a complaint dept. / mnger.

Catering mngr transfers the call, now a very young man on the line, speaks perfect English, who confirms 'yes this is the complaint dept.,' and 'no you can't speak to me you have to speak to the complaints mngr'. 

' OK please tsfr me to comlaints mngr.'

'Cannot she comes to work at 10:00 to 11:00 am after these taken her children to school and had breakfast with her kids and then finished her shooping for fresh food at the market for the family cook to later prepare the family dinner'. Also reveals the complaint manager is his aunt.

Caller says 'Can you please take my name and number and ask her to call me back?' Response 'cannot because she has a personal policy she doesn't return calls.'

'OK please give me her extension number so I can call her later'.

Response 'Not allowed to do that for privacy reasons'.

Caller gives up.

Two things: number 1, I don't believe a word of any of that. "Cannot she comes to work at 10:00 to 11:00 am after these taken her children to school and had breakfast with her kids and then finished her shooping for fresh food at the market for the family cook to later prepare the family dinner'. etc etc. It's a fantasy.

Number 2, you just typed out several paragraphs. How much time did you save by writing "tsfr" instead of "transfer", and "mngr" instead of "manager"? Just curious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

Finnair is top of my <deleted>list.

Yes, Finnair cheated me out of 600 €.

They canceled my ticket and that was it.  No reason given. (Actually,  the reason was quite obvious: I had bought the ticket during covid. Later they realized they could still sell these tickets for 1200€, so they raised prices and canceled my existing ticket and my reservation)

They don't have an email address,  on the phone they just told me the ticket would be canceled with no refund (they offered a voucher in which I wasn't interested),  I sent them a registered letter to their physical address and didn't get an answer. 

My insurance reimbursed  500€, so I didn't  pursue the issue.  

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Two things: number 1, I don't believe a word of any of that. "Cannot she comes to work at 10:00 to 11:00 am after these taken her children to school and had breakfast with her kids and then finished her shooping for fresh food at the market for the family cook to later prepare the family dinner'. etc etc. It's a fantasy.

Number 2, you just typed out several paragraphs. How much time did you save by writing "tsfr" instead of "transfer", and "mngr" instead of "manager"? Just curious.

Her choice when she does her shopping and very probably doesn't think of your suggestion, she does what she likes and perhaps it's more convenient for her. And very possible she has no concern for fulfilling her job responsibilities. ANd quite possibly a hi-so / famouls family person 'I do what I want and when I want to.

Second point - no comment, no need for any comment. 

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

Yes, Finnair cheated me out of 600 €.

They canceled my ticket and that was it.  No reason given. (Actually,  the reason was quite obvious: I had bought the ticket during covid. Later they realized they could still sell these tickets for 1200€, so they raised prices and canceled my existing ticket and my reservation)

They don't have an email address,  on the phone they just told me the ticket would be canceled with no refund (they offered a voucher in which I wasn't interested),  I sent them a registered letter to their physical address and didn't get an answer. 

My insurance reimbursed  500€, so I didn't  pursue the issue.  

I actually got my flights; two 14 hour journeys to/from Helsinki.  On both there was no room in the overhead lockers which necessitated having my carry-on luggage between my knees.  I paid extra for window seats as I suffer from arthritis; leg cramp on top of this was excruciating; alcohol was available at a price way beyond my pension having paid double my usual fare. Aged 80 it was my 1st/last Finnair flight. I took my complaint a lot further than you but ultimately was offered some points in a club I would never use.

13 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Probably why just a few years ago they were threatened with a ban from flying to Europe and the US.

In 2015, Thailand's airline regulatory body, the Department of Civil Aviation, was at risk of getting ALL Thai airlines banned from launching services to the US, regardless if they flew there or not. This was due to the DCA not resolving safety concerns raised by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) some months earlier earlier. The FAA's actions had nothing to do with THAI's safety standards in particular.

At the same time, the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) expressed concern about Thailand’s air safety oversight but not did include any Thai carriers in an updated list of airlines banned from flying in the European Union.

So the FAs got a month off without pay.  Punitive action against crew certainly the old way of  in-flight service management. Has the reasons for this breakdown of basic safety function been identified and addressed in a positive manner, and any other negative trends that may contribute to  a serious incident in the future? Or maybe just lazy cows who needed a kick in the rump.????

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 6:53 AM, dallen52 said:

Still waiting for the $526 flight credit for the cancellation due to covid. 

Back in March 2020.

Lost count of the calls.

Emails.

And face to face conversations at the airport. 

Very poor service. 

Thats a considerable amount of money! I betcha they are anticipating that you’ll give up trying to reclaim it! 
How did you originally pay for the tix,cash, credit card ?

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

So the FAs got a month off without pay.  Punitive action against crew certainly the old way of  in-flight service management. Has the reasons for this breakdown of basic safety function been identified and addressed in a positive manner, and any other negative trends that may contribute to  a serious incident in the future? Or maybe just lazy cows who needed a kick in the rump.????

I wonder how many times 'mai pben rai' came into interviews* with the cabin crew concerned and how many crew members were involved.

If they were interviewed, or were they unavailable because too busy shopping for hi-so bags at Gaysorn Plaza...

Put the food tray under the seat in front of you. It’s a safety issue.

You’re going to watch the plane land with an extended tray in front of you? Grow some balls and do something. Don’t just sit there like cattle.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Love It 1