Toyota Veloz OR Honda BRV

Yodarapper

It looks like it’s between those two. Before we test drive em - does one stand out as a winner?

will need to sell it after our contract is done in Thailand so that’s something ti think about….

looking for opinions and advice on whether one car is better than the other.

Thanks!

i would go for the Toyota veloz,

the veloz is 15mm higher than the brv, the brv is 15mm longer and 5mm wider,

at 100,000thb +, its more epensive than the veloz,

the Veloz offers more cabin space and headroom due to its longer wheelbase and taller height.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i would go for the Toyota veloz,

the veloz is 15mm higher than the brv, the brv is 15mm longer and 5mm wider,

at 100,000thb +, its more epensive than the veloz,

the Veloz offers more cabin space and headroom due to its longer wheelbase and taller height.

Thanks! I appreciate your advice. Are there any other similar models that I should look at for a similar price? We are currently renting a Ford ecosport - family with 2 small kids but can’t see any similar compact SUVs that are in this price range.

12 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

It looks like it’s between those two. Before we test drive em - does one stand out as a winner?

will need to sell it after our contract is done in Thailand so that’s something ti think about….

looking for opinions and advice on whether one car is better than the other.

Thanks!

A friend has a Honda BRV, I've been in it for a few trips and very impressed.

He says it beats everything he's driven before.

• Like 1

Hi , I bought a Toyota Veloz in December of last year, have covered just over 4000km so far .

Things I Like , Size and space inside , nice driving position , good instruments , very quiet  and also good on fuel , highest KL was 23.3 but average about 17 KL.

Things I do not like ( minor points ) not many cup holders, passenger one should be same design as drivers one , Fuel release in awkward position for both Tall and Short drivers, 24v charger put under central armrest , would have been better on outside of centre console ,poor quality mats .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Mitsubishi Xpander or Suzuki XL,but I would stick with Honda or Toyota here in Thailand.If you could pay a bit more then maybe a Honda HRV or Toyota Corolla Cross,but those two are 5 seaters

More importantly they are both hybrids,so a significant advantage in terms of efficiency and possibly resale value. The HRV is probably the newer technology (and looks more stylish) in that respect. Definitely worth considering the extra which may not be so much extra when reselling ..

8 hours ago, Cult of the Sun said:

Neither. Both are soulless.  Buy a decent used car with character, that doesn't look like it was designed by some weird AI.

Like what? I only really trust toyotasure for second hand and I need loan so they can provide.

what’s a decent used car??

9 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Like what? I only really trust toyotasure for second hand and I need loan so they can provide.

what’s a decent used car??

if you are spending 700-800K, see if toyotasure have a chr hybrid. If your kids are small its big enough for 4. 

39 minutes ago, DavisH said:

if you are spending 700-800K, see if toyotasure have a chr hybrid. If your kids are small its big enough for 4. 

2 small for a family of four assuming they will travel for holidays

"Storage space is tight inside the C-HR. Rear trunk space is about average for the class at 19 cubic feet. You can fold down the rear seats to access 37 cubic feet of capacity, but that

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/c-hr/interior#:~:text=With 19.1 cubic feet of,tricky to stow heavy cargo.&text="Storage space is tight inside the C-HR.

Op should be aware in Thailand there are some cars that only have 2 air bags and they are for the front passengers only 

There are a number of cars that get a very high rating in the Euro NCAP  unfortunately in most cases a different spec with some features are omitted when selling cars in Thailand

Top Rank: What are the safest cars according to ASEAN NCAP? 2020

https://www.wapcar.my/news/top-rank-what-are-the-safest-cars-according-to-asean-ncap-7451

Kajang, Malaysia, 23 March 2022 – The New Car Assessment Program for Southeast Asian Countries (ASEAN NCAP) kicked start 2022 with the assessment of Toyota’s latest MPV model; the new Toyota Veloz.

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/post/9150

The op doesn't say how old his children are but I would suggest do a search for an article that was published 2 days

"Tragedy sees calls for child-safe cars"

Toyota do offer a long term rental scheme

no down payment you just made monthly payments and return the car at the end of the period

https://www.kinto-th.com/Home.aspx

Edited by vinny41
add

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Op should be aware in Thailand there are some cars that only have 2 air bags and they are for the front passengers only 

There are a number of cars that get a very high rating in the Euro NCAP  unfortunately in most cases a different spec with some features are omitted when selling cars in Thailand

Top Rank: What are the safest cars according to ASEAN NCAP? 2020

https://www.wapcar.my/news/top-rank-what-are-the-safest-cars-according-to-asean-ncap-7451

Kajang, Malaysia, 23 March 2022 – The New Car Assessment Program for Southeast Asian Countries (ASEAN NCAP) kicked start 2022 with the assessment of Toyota’s latest MPV model; the new Toyota Veloz.

https://v4-web.aseancap.org/post/9150

The op doesn't say how old his children are but I would suggest do a search for an article that was published 2 days

"Tragedy sees calls for child-safe cars"

Toyota do offer a long term rental scheme

no down payment you just made monthly payments and return the car at the end of the period

https://www.kinto-th.com/Home.aspx

Long term rental think 3 years is the minimum and then there is a penalty if you end early.

also isn’t rental just a waste of money??

if I buy I can sell….recoup some money…

there are some chr but they do look small.

my kids are 1 and 3 - I want safe cars and airbags - I think the veloz and the Brv both have.

I would like a compact suv but can’t see any for under a million.

I need to buy on Loan but don’t wanna spend too much so I can pay off quick.

I might leave in a year or 2 - would need to pay off and sell….

THIS IS A HEADACHE! Currently paying 16k rental, starting to think I should just keep doing this.

2 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Long term rental think 3 years is the minimum and then there is a penalty if you end early.

also isn’t rental just a waste of money??

if I buy I can sell….recoup some money…

there are some chr but they do look small.

my kids are 1 and 3 - I want safe cars and airbags - I think the veloz and the Brv both have.

I would like a compact suv but can’t see any for under a million.

I need to buy on Loan but don’t wanna spend too much so I can pay off quick.

I might leave in a year or 2 - would need to pay off and sell….

THIS IS A HEADACHE! Currently paying 16k rental, starting to think I should just keep doing this.

Most dealers will want to see a down payment of approx 30% the uncertainty of your planned length would put the majority of lenders off if you mention it.

If you look at the numbers at a car priced at 800,000 30% down is 240,000 baht leaving 560,000 plus XXX interest its unlikely that you will get 0% interest on a used car if assume 4% interest loan repayable over 24 months which would bring the balance to 604,800 baht 24 monthly payments of 25,200

Yes buying a car and selling it will be cheaper that rental

But we have seen on this forum where people are stuck when selling their cars simply they are priced to high 

I noticed that Kinto does have 2 year contract on some used cars 

for example  Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8 Sport (used car, good condition) is does limit no of km per year  25,000 km/year (you can increase that price increases at the same time) replacement car if car in for a service or waiting parts they pay for the servicing and car insurance for 2 years  total cost  15,390 baht/month

https://www.kinto-th.com/RegisterDetailStep1.aspx?ModelId_Selected=84

Yes when looking at brand new compact suv there not many below 1 million baht example Toyota Corolla Cross is priced between ฿989,000 - 1.2 Million

Yes some people will say rental is a waste and I would agree if you were more clear about how long your planning to stay example if your planning to stay 3/4 years its a no brainer purchase will be the better option

Edited by vinny41
add

On 2/23/2023 at 7:34 AM, luckyscruff said:

Hi , I bought a Toyota Veloz in December of last year, have covered just over 4000km so far .

Things I Like , Size and space inside , nice driving position , good instruments , very quiet  and also good on fuel , highest KL was 23.3 but average about 17 KL.

Things I do not like ( minor points ) not many cup holders, passenger one should be same design as drivers one , Fuel release in awkward position for both Tall and Short drivers, 24v charger put under central armrest , would have been better on outside of centre console ,poor quality mats .

How is the veloz with power? I’ve read that it struggles over taking etc?

currently renting a ford ecosport and that is fine for us - does the job. It’s smaller than the veloz so I imagine the veloz will struggle more with power?

We are a family of 4 - 2 small kids - is it too big? It looks really long….

I like the price, it’s the cheapest…..but it does look long and big….I also like the cross and hrv but they are too expensive.

the other  option is the Brv but that is also more expensive…

WHAT A HEADACHE

The power is Ok , but more would be better , I have mine running in Echo Mode , but you can change the setting to a more sporty mode so acceleration may be a lot quicker. As regards being to big for a family of 2-2 young children , your children will  grow up need sports equipment etc so the car will accommodate all this in the future . 

But why not have a test drive to see if the power is Ok ?

On 2/27/2023 at 2:07 PM, Yodarapper said:

How is the veloz with power? I’ve read that it struggles over taking etc?

currently renting a ford ecosport and that is fine for us - does the job. It’s smaller than the veloz so I imagine the veloz will struggle more with power?

We are a family of 4 - 2 small kids - is it too big? It looks really long….

I like the price, it’s the cheapest…..but it does look long and big….I also like the cross and hrv but they are too expensive.

the other  option is the Brv but that is also more expensive…

WHAT A HEADACHE

This site has the sizes compared and prices compared

Honda BR-V  : 4,456 x 1,735 x 1,666 mm. / Wheelbase 2,655 mm.

Toyota Veloz : 4,475 x 1,750 x 1,700 mm. / Wheelbase 2,750 mm.

Toyota Veloz : 795,000 – 875,000 baht

Honda BR-V : 765,000 – 835,000 baht

https://www.headlightmag.com/official-price-all-new-toyota-veloz/

I looked that the Veloz and thought it was okay, my boy doesn't like it. I think it is the new Avanza and it's produced by Daihatsu. 

The Auto show is the end of this month, go walk it and see what you like. 

If the gen 3 Fortuner is there, I may get one and let the kid drive the old one. 

Forth gen Suzuki Swift might show, if so, I may get him that...

Thanks for motor show tip - I’ll try to go to that….however, still hearing different things about getting finance.

I lived in Thailand for 4 years but then left for a year and now back since august. 

im hearing from some people that with a 200k downpayment or more and my payslips since august and work permit I’ll get finance.

but also hearing from others that i won’t get finance without a Thai guarantor and 12 months on my work permit.

so I guess that’s a Thailand thing where no one can say what the rule is and if it’s followed.

anyone have any ideas? Also….what about the new Honda Wrv?

between Toyota veloz, honda Wrv?

11 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Also….what about the new Honda Wrv?

The wrv may be work a look - cheaper than the brv, but it seems to have similar mechanicals. You should be able to see it at dealers now or soon. It should be able to be seen at the motorshow.