Driving instructor surrenders to police after killing popular highway policeman on Bangkok's ringroad

webfact

14 hours ago, fusion58 said:

The fact that the offender is a driving instructor is sort of emblematic of the state of driver education in Thailand, wouldn't you say?

No surprise. Having worked in the oil and gas industry here, I would suggest that 95% or more of the 'educators' providing training services, especially to the offshore sector, are not fit for their position. Many of them have no experience of the subjects they are teaching, and don't understand the fundamentals of vocational education such as appraising, assessing and quality control, nor do they care.

It's all about money as usual, with no real understanding of the basics or the subject matter. 

My staff did a confined space training course with one of the government training centres here, and the exam in English was complete gibberish. I complained to the centre manager, who spoke very basic English, and sounded like he didn't have a clue either. In fact, he sounded as if he wanted to start an argument with me instead of trying to solve the problems. 

I have stated many times before and I will repeat here, the competency of drivers is very low here because of the poor education they receive to become licensed. They need a complete overhaul of the system, with a proper, disciplined approach to competence assessment for licensing. Perhaps probationary periods and limits on more powerful vehicles for new drivers too. 

It's too much hard work and effort for them, and Thailand is far too corrupt for it to ever happen unfortunately. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1