4 month or open-ended visa choices ?

hello, in the past I've had both 1 year O-A and tourist visa with 30d extensions @ CW.

Without leaving the country, and without knowing if an O-A would be used for more than 1 trip, what are the choices for > 90 day visit?

and/or how difficult and expensive would be what is required for an O-A health insurance, if am only in the country for 4/12 months?

thank you.

1. For a 90 Day visit a 60 Day Tourist Visa + 30 extension.  You must leave the country to obtain a new TR.

2. For an OA you know the process of obtaining one is now a literal "pain in the ass".  

3.  Only 1 year policies are issued for OA Visa Health Insurance.  Also, the requirement is now $100,000 or 3 Million Baht in coverage.  The days of 400K/40K are over. Also, based upon age the premium for OA health insurance will be expensive.  I am under 60 and my annual premium is 60K. 

4.  I really do not see an option of not leaving the country based upon your current circumstance.  Others on the forum might have another suggestion.  

I am currently on the second year of my latest OA which was obtained from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate and the E-Visa process difficult and long winded.  Good luck.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

You could apply for a non-o visa for retirement at immigration or at a embassy or consulate and then apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income.

No insurance is required to do it.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, sqwakvfr said:

1. For a 90 Day visit a 60 Day Tourist Visa + 30 extension.  You must leave the country to obtain a new TR.

2. For an OA you know the process of obtaining one is now a literal "pain in the ass".  

3.  Only 1 year policies are issued for OA Visa Health Insurance.  Also, the requirement is now $100,000 or 3 Million Baht in coverage.  The days of 400K/40K are over. Also, based upon age the premium for OA health insurance will be expensive.  I am under 60 and my annual premium is 60K. 

4.  I really do not see an option of not leaving the country based upon your current circumstance.  Others on the forum might have another suggestion.  

I am currently on the second year of my latest OA which was obtained from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate and the E-Visa process difficult and long winded.  Good luck.  

so, thats about $2000/year ? Is that the bare minimum "highest deductible" plan?

I am currently in the US. Maybe I'll just have to do the traditional 90 days, but wanted to ask.

I guess all the other possible Tourist Visas, are no better? like the Multi-entry TR ?

say I left country on day 55, then re-entered via Nong Khai, on day 58, would I only be stamped in for 2 days? with the METV

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

5 minutes ago, chubby said:

say I left country on day 55, then re-entered via Nong Khai, on day 58, would I only be stamped in for 2 days? with the METV

You would be stamped in for 60 days every time that you enter Thailand on a valid METV.

Note that each entry can be extended by 30 days.

What type of visa you opt for depends a lot on your long term plans.

If indeed you plan to spend significant time in Thailand every year then a Non O retirement with subsequent extensions and reentry permit could be best option.

However that requires you to maintain funds in Thai bank or use agent. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

hmm, METV, doesn't look to bad, I'm am last 50s early retired, I did notice

it says "2.6 Proof of employment (i.e. letter from the company to confirm the position and work status), please note that the acceptance or job offer is not sufficient."

are they going to ask for anything more than the :

2.5 Copy of recent bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7000 every month.  The name of the applicant must be indicated clearly), In case of submitting a family bank statement, proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

And then its a 6-month visa , so its from the date issued, not date 1st enter country , I imagine, so try to get it close to departure date  from Los Angelas (where I have gotten it before?)

otherwise, the health insurance costs for the 0-A the 1st year, would be prohibitive, @$2000 USD, until/unless I pull the plug here finally...