Dilbert creator lashes out after papers pull his strip: 'Dicey situation'

Scott

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Your bookmark collection must be interesting, its a false equivalence to the neo nazi groups I was referring to such as the proud boys who attack blacks through violence or hate speech. Although I accept I should have probably used the term "far-right, neo-fascists"

The Nazi party your referring to was to do with white on white violence/killings as was the holodomor genocide.

I think the Nazis would be quite offended by your claim that the genocide they inflicted on the Jews and Gypsies was white-on-white violence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I think the Nazis would be quite offended by your claim that the genocide they inflicted on the Jews and Gypsies was white-on-white violence.

Not only Nazis.

That genocide was based on  RACISM without any  doubt.

It's simply ignorance to describe thar as white on white.

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Not only Nazis.

That genocide was based on  RACISM without any  doubt.

It's simply ignorance to describe thar as white on white.

Ignorance? Of course it was racially motivated but the majority of jews are technically white and certainly in the US the majority class themselves as white.

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Ignorance? Of course it was racially motivated but the majority of jews are technically white and certainly in the US the majority class themselves as white.

Technically white? Since "white" as applied to humans isn't a scientifically valid classification, how could Jews technically be so? For most of the history of racism in Europe, Jews were widely regarded as a race apart. 

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Technically white? Since "white" as applied to humans isn't a scientifically valid classification, how could Jews technically be so? For most of the history of racism in Europe, Jews were widely regarded as a race apart. 

How Did Jews Become White Folks?

The American nation was founded and developed by the Nordic race, but if a few more million members of the Alpine, Mediterranean, and Semitic races are poured among us, the result must inevitably be a hybrid race of people as worthless and futile as the goodfor-nothing mongrels of Central America and Southeastern Europe

https://nelsonssociology101.weebly.com/uploads/2/6/1/6/26165328/jews.pdf

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Its complex and pulling the term technically was not the intention of my post and perhaps should have been perception.

These are rough sketches of two camps, concentrated at the margins of U.S. political culture. On the extreme right, Jews are seen as impure—a faux-white race that has tainted America. And on the extreme left, Jews are seen as part of a white-majority establishment that seeks to dominate people of color. Taken together, these attacks raise an interesting question: Are Jews white?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/are-jews-white/509453/

The majority of U.S. Jews identify as White. But in recent years, journalists, scholars and Jewish community leaders have wondered about the percentage of U.S. Jews who are “Jews of color,” “people of color” or “BIPOC” (an acronym for Black, Indigenous and people of color), and who should be included in these groups

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/05/11/race-ethnicity-heritage-and-immigration-among-u-s-jews/

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its complex and pulling the term technically was not the intention of my post and perhaps should have been perception.

These are rough sketches of two camps, concentrated at the margins of U.S. political culture. On the extreme right, Jews are seen as impure—a faux-white race that has tainted America. And on the extreme left, Jews are seen as part of a white-majority establishment that seeks to dominate people of color. Taken together, these attacks raise an interesting question: Are Jews white?

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/are-jews-white/509453/

The majority of U.S. Jews identify as White. But in recent years, journalists, scholars and Jewish community leaders have wondered about the percentage of U.S. Jews who are “Jews of color,” “people of color” or “BIPOC” (an acronym for Black, Indigenous and people of color), and who should be included in these groups

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2021/05/11/race-ethnicity-heritage-and-immigration-among-u-s-jews/

OK. But saying that Nazi Genocide was white-on-white  simply isn't true unless you believe that there is such a thing as being genuinely white. The Nazis believed that Jews and Gypsies were sub-human.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

OK. But saying that Nazi Genocide was white-on-white  simply isn't true unless you believe that there is such a thing as being genuinely white. The Nazis believed that Jews and Gypsies were sub-human.

If you take into account my initial post, the response to it and then my reply post you would see what my meaning was:

image.png.9b544b169ae66fc88863ff2deebcf1c8.png

Anyway lengthy transcript here from those who identify as Jews and what they themselves think:

Episode 5: Are Jews White?

https://www.associationforjewishstudies.org/publications-research/adventures-in-jewish-studies-podcast/are-jews-white-transcript

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If you take into account my initial post, the response to it and then my reply post you would see what my meaning was:

image.png.9b544b169ae66fc88863ff2deebcf1c8.png

Anyway lengthy transcript here from those who identify as Jews and what they themselves think:

Episode 5: Are Jews White?

https://www.associationforjewishstudies.org/publications-research/adventures-in-jewish-studies-podcast/are-jews-white-transcript

It's complicated.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The whole thing is terribly foolish. Doubly so for him commenting on such a stupid poll in the first place.

It’s clearly loaded. 

Look at how it is written;

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  It’s OK to be white.”

2* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  Black people can be racist, too.”

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/questions/january_2023/questions_okay_to_be_white_february_13_15_2023

First of all, if you have the knowledge that the statement is one utilised by ‘white supremacists’, you are hardly likely to give it your full backing. So whilst you might wholly agree that it’s OK to be whatever race you might be, you might not be too fond of white ‘supremacists’. Therefore for that reason people might object. 
There is no doubt that the cartoonist understood this, he even says so himself; that people will view the question in different ways. The question is why, knowing this, that he decided to create a provocation out of it. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

The whole thing is terribly foolish. Doubly so for him commenting on such a stupid poll in the first place.

It’s clearly loaded. 

Look at how it is written;

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  It’s OK to be white.”

2* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  Black people can be racist, too.”

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/questions/january_2023/questions_okay_to_be_white_february_13_15_2023

First of all, if you have the knowledge that the statement is one utilised by ‘white supremacists’, you are hardly likely to give it your full backing. So whilst you might wholly agree that it’s OK to be whatever race you might be, you might not be too fond of white ‘supremacists’. Therefore for that reason people might object. 
There is no doubt that the cartoonist understood this, he even says so himself; that people will view the question in different ways. The question is why, knowing this, that he decided to create a provocation out of it. 

Good opinion here from Louise Mensch (ex UK MP) that echos your views:

in my view @Rasmussen_Poll are now just hard-right trolls, and it’s glorious that they have nuked one of their own Trumpy Bear kind. “It’s OK to be white” is a racist phrase. Disagreeing with it, as I do, ≠ you dislike white people. It just means you recognize it as racism.

the reason that “white lives matter” and “it’s OK to be white” are racist is that both phrases falsely imply that society structurally threatens white people. It doesn’t. White people have never suffered racial violence from excessive policing, and we still don’t.

it’s easier just to explain this screamingly obvious truth than to listen to the reply guys telling my milk-white Anglo-Saxon self that AKSHULLY, all God’s children are equal. So we are, but whites get treated better than blacks in infinite ways. And men better than women.

So when Rasmussen Troll asks black people if they disagree with the phrase “it’s OK to be white” the results don’t measure whether or not those people ‘dislike whites’ or not. I disagree with the phrase too. It implies imaginary antiwhite racism that doesn’t exist.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

From Dilbert cartoon dropped by US newspapers over creator’s racist comments | US news | The Guardian

Adams called Black Americans a “hate group” and suggested white Americans “get the hell away from Black people” in response to a conservative organization’s poll purporting to show that many African Americans do not agree with the statement: “It’s OK to be white.”

[...]

“If nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with white people ... that’s a hate group,” said Adams, who is white, on his YouTube channel on Wednesday. “And I don’t want to have anything to do with them.”

[...]

Adams’s initial remarks came in response to a conservative Rasmussen Poll that appeared to show that 26% of Black respondents said they disagreed with the statement “It’s OK to be white”. Another 21% said they were not sure.

End of quote

I understand his point. When 26% of Black respondents said they disagree with the statement “It’s OK to be white”. and another 21% said they were not sure that means

47% of the people in that survey are racist.

But because in this case the black guys are the racists, and the white guys are the "victims" that is somehow seen in a different light.

Personally I think it's ok to be white or black or whatever. Who cares. And realistically there are racist people in all of those groups. It's not a typically white attitude to be racist.

Talk to each other and learn that we can all live happily together. Cancelling anybody for a relative harmless remark is stupid. 

I disagree with your math. If 26% of Black respondents said they disagree with the statement “It’s OK to be white”. and another 21% said they were not sure that means - I take that to be 26% of them being racist. "not sure" doesn't sound racist to me. 

34 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

I disagree with your math. If 26% of Black respondents said they disagree with the statement “It’s OK to be white”. and another 21% said they were not sure that means - I take that to be 26% of them being racist. "not sure" doesn't sound racist to me. 

Its the other 53 % who stated that it was OK to be White who are the non racists , the 47 % who "aren't sure/no" whether its OK to be White or not are racists 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its the other 53 % who stated that it was OK to be White who are the non racists , the 47 % who "aren't sure/no" whether its OK to be White or not are racists 

First off,  if its done with the number of respondents Rasmussen , it's statistically invalid. That's because the sampling of subgroups is too small. 

More importantly, even if Rasmussen polled a large enough sample of black respondents, it reads like a clickbait question designed to elicit certain responses. A fairer way to do the poll would have been to ask 2 questions:

Is it OK to be black?

Is it OK to be white?

But this is Rasmussen. And as their press release indicated, they have an axe to grind, or rather bait that needs clicking.

49 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You should learn to read and comprehend before posting…

They are asking if you agree with the statement. That means many will perceive the question is with regard to the phrase itself. 
Of course many would have a problem with agreeing with a phrase adopted by neo-Nazis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  It’s OK to be white”.

15 minutes ago, NextG said:

You should learn to read and comprehend before posting…

They are asking if you agree with the statement. That means many will perceive the question is with regard to the phrase itself. 
Of course many would have a problem with agreeing with a phrase adopted by neo-Nazis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  It’s OK to be white”.

Do you think that its OK for Black people to be racist ?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Do you think that its OK for Black people to be racist ?

Are you hoping to start a conversation with me?

Racism exists. I don’t encourage it.

No sure why you are trying to glean my opinion. What do you want to do with it?

Edited by NextG